TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on skyjacker add-a-leaf sets for a tacoma? 3" lift on it. shouldn't this be all that's needed to stick 32" or 33" all terrains with enough clearance? Does the lift reduce over time? should I just get an entirely new leafspring?

thanks!

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Deadeye777 said:
Any opinions on skyjacker add-a-leaf sets for a tacoma? 3" lift on it. shouldn't this be all that's needed to stick 32" or 33" all terrains with enough clearance? Does the lift reduce over time? should I just get an entirely new leafspring?

thanks!
3" would be too much for the rear unless you are planning on a 4" PC kit up front. These trucks are already raked be 1-1.5" in the back.

in general, AALs are "ok" but tend to ride rough. If you stick one in a worn out leafpk it will break rather quickly as it winds up trying to handle all the weight and re-arch the other leaves.
the best way to add one to a worn leafpk is to have the pk re-arched at the same time the AAL is installed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My aal rides rough, if i were you i would just do it right the first time and do some deavers or other leaf packs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kind of rough is OK with me... I'm in the time of my life where i'm looking for sort of a nitty gritty rough-around-the-edges pickup to tear ass in. What sort of effect on an aal would I have if a boat was hitched up to it? would it dampen the roughness a bit or not - always felt that way in my chevy suburban, but that's a totally different vehicle.
also, this wouldn't be so stiff that 5 hours in the car on the freeway would make my ass go numb, is it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hytenor said:
3" would be too much for the rear unless you are planning on a 4" PC kit up front. These trucks are already raked be 1-1.5" in the back.
so then a 3" lift in the front and 1.5" aals would be the best choice... thanks!

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Deadeye777 said:
so then a 3" lift in the front and 1.5" aals would be the best choice... thanks!
if you want to try and level the truck but I like the rear a little higher anyway. That way when I add weight it doesn't look so squat and I don't have to re-adjust the headlights to drive at night ;)

get a lift that is for the same amount both front and rear and keep the rake. :2cents:

while the AAL will also increase your load cap the problem of worn springs breaking the things is multiplied with added weight. Only use an AAL if you have leafpks that are in damn near new condition.

the best thing to do is go with new leafpks but that gets pricy...usually over $400 is the minimum incl freight and can go to $800 depending on what brand you get.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Deadeye777 said:
So then if I can't get a new leafpack then which would be the best choice here for clearance allowing for 32"-33" ATs:

Body lift kit, 2"
http://performance.thepartsbin.com/basket.php?makeid=25&modelid=321&year=1998&partid=11454&brandid=2973
Suspension kit 2.5"
http://performance.thepartsbin.com/basket.php?makeid=25&modelid=321&year=1998&partid=283&brandid=3286

would either of them affect the handling of the vehicle like an AAL would, or just server to create clearance?
any lift mods you do will effect handling

for 33x10.50s you can get away with 2.5" of suspension and or body lift and some pinchweld pounding/plastic trimming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for putting up with such a noob, fellas. I appreciate your fast responses and patience for questions I'm sure you've heard tons of times.

this forum is extremely helpfull!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
you can do a spacer lift and aal and clear those tires with some minor trimming. If your looking for a better ride, coil overs and new leafs are the way to go. it all depends on $$$ and what you want to do with your truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts