TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These may seem like a dumb quesiton, but do most of these Add-a-leafs require the removal of a spring, thus causing the height of the vehicle to increase, yet at the same time decreasing the factory load capacity?

·
Registered
41 Posts
You simply add the leaf the to the existing pack. There is no replacing, or at least I never have. Just remember to get longer centering pins.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You just add the extra leaf. The new longer pin comes with the AAL. They don't really add extra load capacity to the truck, That is what the overload spring is for, they just add lift, harsh ride and pre-mature spring failure down the road. But, the flip side is that they are an affordable alternative to a new set of leafs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You just add the extra leaf. The new longer pin comes with the AAL. They don't really add extra load capacity to the truck, That is what the overload spring is for, they just add lift, harsh ride and pre-mature spring failure down the road. But, the flip side is that they are an affordable alternative to a new set of leafs.
better off going with a leaf set, dakars, deaver

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I got a set from deaver that adds 3 leaves to the stock set. You take out the overload and put in the 3 deavers in its place. Way better than the single add-a-leaf. If you wanted to, you could leave in the overload leaf when putting in the deaver add-a-leafs. You would lose some travel, but keep a great load capacity. It would add an extra 1/2 inch lift as well(The thicnkess of the overload leaf),

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have AAL i think they were $36 and at the time i needed sometihng. If you buy them like i did, plan to buy real leafs later on.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have AAL i think they were $36 and at the time i needed sometihng. If you buy them like i did, plan to buy real leafs later on.

Not all AAL's are that bad. The 3 pack from deaver(and i think alcan makes a set as well) works great. I have a good couple hundred pounds in my truck almost everyday and over a year later they havent noticeably sagged.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Not all AAL's are that bad. The 3 pack from deaver(and i think alcan makes a set as well) works great. I have a good couple hundred pounds in my truck almost everyday and over a year later they havent noticeably sagged.
you're right. But that deaver 3 pack is a whole different animal than the standard AAL. Probably get a lot more life out of it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got a set from deaver that adds 3 leaves to the stock set. You take out the overload and put in the 3 deavers in its place. Way better than the single add-a-leaf. If you wanted to, you could leave in the overload leaf when putting in the deaver add-a-leafs. You would lose some travel, but keep a great load capacity. It would add an extra 1/2 inch lift as well(The thicnkess of the overload leaf),
Jesse, I just ordered a set of the Deaver 3 leaf add-a-packs. Do you have any advice on installation? Did you leave the overload leaf in? If I was to remove it, what would be the load capacity of the bed? Also, did you go with new longer rear shocks or did you stick with the stock ones? Was there anything besides longer centering pins that I would need?
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just like mentioned in the last post...If I was to remove the overload leaf, what would that do to my load capacity (w/ adding the deaver 3 leaf pack)? Also, are there any suggestions or installation tips? Should be getting these today and the SAWs on Monday so I'll be doing the lift soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts