TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all just wanted to get some ideas on adding a swing out tire carrier to my existing tube bumper. Has anyone done anything like this? Yes I could spend the cash and get the Protofab bumper but in the spirit of anything why not make my own. So if anyone could shed some light on what might be needed for such a fabrication that would be great.

Thanks Guys + Gals

Aaron
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
xcmountain80 said:
Evening all just wanted to get some ideas on adding a swing out tire carrier to my existing tube bumper. Has anyone done anything like this? Yes I could spend the cash and get the Protofab bumper but in the spirit of anything why not make my own. So if anyone could shed some light on what might be needed for such a fabrication that would be great.

Thanks Guys + Gals

Aaron
Atwinda has made his own...so far it hasn't fallen off like we all said it would, LOL

whatever you do make sure to over-build it and then some. the stresses involved are huge.

One Socal member had one fly off...while on the freeway...not a pretty sight for the cars behind him.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts


That's mine. If you are going off your bumper, be sure that the bumper is very well connected to your frame. You said tube bumper, and I don't know if that means a of those double tube pos bumpers, a demello style tube bumper, or even a rectangle tube. Obviously the last two would be the ideal.

Slee Off road sells a nice spindle To weld on, and you can work from that. A good latch is another MUST, search around at your local 4x4 shops to find one, or they will be able to tell you where to get one.

Yeah, over build it.

(as an update to mine, and it's not falling off the truck.. The only wear it shows is from Dan (sas'd crawler dan) pushing me over a rock from it! It broke the dumb latch I had so I have moved up to a better latch and everything is golden again.)
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
atwinda said:


That's mine. If you are going off your bumper, be sure that the bumper is very well connected to your frame. You said tube bumper, and I don't know if that means a of those double tube pos bumpers, a demello style tube bumper, or even a rectangle tube. Obviously the last two would be the ideal.

Slee Off road sells a nice spindle To weld on, and you can work from that. A good latch is another MUST, search around at your local 4x4 shops to find one, or they will be able to tell you where to get one.

Yeah, over build it.

(as an update to mine, and it's not falling off the truck.. The only wear it shows is from Dan (sas'd crawler dan) pushing me over a rock from it! It broke the dumb latch I had so I have moved up to a better latch and everything is golden again.)
I've been getting so many new dents in my tailgate lately that I might just steal your design and make one ;) But, I do use my gate quite a bit so I'll really have to think it over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Atwinda that is awesome man! One question, have you noticed any feeling like the tire is causing "drag" on the truck on the highway or anything? Any noticable decrease in mileage?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
hytenor said:
I've been getting so many new dents in my tailgate lately that I might just steal your design and make one ;) But, I do use my gate quite a bit so I'll really have to think it over.
I'm really happy with how mine is, but as Demello told me, it needs to be tied into the frame. When it's closed, it's stout, but once it's open, and say you had someone stand on it, it would do some damage. I could help you design something simular that's tied to the frame rather than the bed, which is probably what I'll do next summer anyway.

I still use my bed. I haven't had a problem at all with stuff coming outta there. I load up construction trash on a regular basis, without any problems. Before I had the license plate there, yeah, every-now-and then something would sneak thru, but once that was on there, no problems.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
KStacoma said:
Atwinda that is awesome man! One question, have you noticed any feeling like the tire is causing "drag" on the truck on the highway or anything? Any noticable decrease in mileage?
I did the swing out the same time as 285s so I have noticed a decrease in mpg, but I can't say that the tire has an effect on it. Drag.. who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Cool cool, well hey nice work man, very impressive and creative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok not sure if I have the pos tube bumper or not, Let me see I don't know how to post a pic but I can email you some pics if will help you determine whether or not I might use a slee spindle. I use the bumper as a lift point for my Hi-Lift with no Problems it had been modified to accomidate a winch as well i removed it though cause it didn't get used a whole lot. AnyhowLet me know about posting or emailing you some pics.

Aaron
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top