TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a '05 Taco with offroad package, but because of color pickiness and desire for manual tranny the only thing close to what I want is a non-TRD and even THAT is 500 miles away.

I'd swap the suspension and tires anyway, so all I'd miss would be the locker (important) and household-style outlet in the bed (not important, but supercool). With two brand new babies at home I won't need the locker anytime soon, so I'm thinking of buying this non-TRD and adding the locker a year down the road when I have time to go wheeling.

How much would it cost to have a stealership or independent shop add the TRD e-locker to a non-TRD? Is most of the wiring in place so it'd just be adding the locker itself? I know ARB is better, but that $1000+ price tag with install is brutal.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I believe the 1000 dollar arb price tag will be cheaper than having the dealer install the E locker. Correct me if I'm wrong guys...........

·
Registered
828 Posts
i just went with an ARB for my new non trd rear end
i got the locker for 639 ..model rd89
the compressor for 199

i got it from www.performanceoffroadcenter.com
tell them with ttora and you should get better than retail pricing,.....

they are fast, best prices anywhere i have found,great customer service

i have personally spent about 3 grand with them and didnt balk at all and spent more money with them when i needed to rebuild this axle

i have a trd rear end now in my truck. works fine, but i think the 35 inch tire is the largest you should run on it if you do anywheeling at all

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album94/aer

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album94/aks

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
JeeBar said:
I want a '05 Taco with offroad package, but because of color pickiness and desire for manual tranny the only thing close to what I want is a non-TRD and even THAT is 500 miles away.

I'd swap the suspension and tires anyway, so all I'd miss would be the locker (important) and household-style outlet in the bed (not important, but supercool). With two brand new babies at home I won't need the locker anytime soon, so I'm thinking of buying this non-TRD and adding the locker a year down the road when I have time to go wheeling.

How much would it cost to have a stealership or independent shop add the TRD e-locker to a non-TRD? Is most of the wiring in place so it'd just be adding the locker itself? I know ARB is better, but that $1000+ price tag with install is brutal.
w/o getting the trd with elocker on your '05 you don't really have any immidiate options. Since the '05 has a wider axle you can't just swap in a used trd for $800+ like you can with pre-05s. ARB is coming out with a rear locker for the '05 but I don't believe it is available just yet.
having the dealer 'swap' in a new trd rear axle would probably run you in the $4k range for parts and labor. The ARB won't be cheap either but will be the best later option for aftermarket locker.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would wait for what you really want. I bought my 05 last month and they happened to have exactly what I wanted on the lot one day when I stopped in for a few oil filters. My brother in law wants one bad, but he wants either a doublecab sport with a 6spd or a doublecab longbed sport (which only comes with an auto) and apparently these are the two rarest tacomas out there right now. We've been told by 3 dealers now that he will have to make up his mind and order one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was under the impression that the 2005's were the 8.4" rear, same as on the non-trd tacomas of previous years (Pre-05 TRD tacomas are 8.0). If that's the case, air lockers should already be available, unless the number of axle splines has changed? Length of axle housing would have no effect.

I'm very curious about this too, as I do not want an air locker, but would love an electric locker in my 2002 8.4 rear. I was hoping the 05 locker would drop in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts