TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I had to swap out my font axel with a new one on a 2000 Tacoma TRD,because the owner before me didn't keep the differential filled. Before the swap 4WD drive worked perfect, when the 4wd drive was pulled down into 4H it was smooth now after the switch it won't kick in. If you try to pull it in it grinds and don't pull in, if you stop it goes in, but the indicator light doesn't come off.

I disconnected the vacuum lines from up top and off the actuator and could blow air all the way through. I then took the actuator out and could move the fork back and forth by blowing into one of the lines. I hooked all the vacumm lines up and w/ truck running switch into 4WD and the fork didn't move. I have checked the lines over and over, but they are correctly attached and seems to be in good shape.

I checked the fuse in the dash, but that is about the only thing I knew to check electical wise. Is there any other option that I need to look into? I think there are some relays but Im not sure where they are located. Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine quit working, it was the switch in the T case. I rewired with another switch in the cab, now I have 2 Low...

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
So the 4WD light doesn't come on at all when you shift into 4WD?

If it's blinking it could be the vac selnoids. Test each one by providing 12v power to one pin and ground to the other. The selnoid should open and allow air to pass. I've never seen one go bad but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the light doesn't come on at all. When I had the actuator out and blew on the line and the fork moved over then the light would come on, so I just figured the problem has to be somewhere in the vacuum system.

I went and did the test on the VSV and both of them opened up and allowed air to flow from one port to the other when 12volts was supplied and then forced air out the air filter when 12 volts was disconnected. So it should mean that the VSV is in good shape then. Correct? Is there a fuse or relay that would not be turning the VSV on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I crawled under there and unpluged the sensor and plugged it back in, then I looked, pulled, and wiggled the wires at the connector and sensor to see if they were lose, which they didn't seem to be. Is there a way to see if the sensor is bad? How loud is the clicking noise on the relay inside the the cab on the passenger side supposed to be? I can hear it clicking pretty loudly when I shift into 4wd drive when the truck is just sitting, can these go bad or cause problems?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
The sensor is a simple switch. When the truck is in 4WD, the switch will close. To test, you can use a multimeter and use the continuity feature. Attach the probe to each pin. In 4WD, you should have continuity.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the same problem with mine right now-4wd light doesn't come on, and the front wheels don't turn. My mechanic said that he thinks its the VSV. Is there a way to service or clean it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts