TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this 4runner up to start building for my son a couple months ago. My son, Hunter, is 14yrs old. He starts high school in August. He's a good kid, so I figured I would start a project that we could both work on a little together.

Its an 87' SR5. 22re, 5spd. It has every available option for an 87. 182K on it.

I've probably had at least 25 pickups and 4runners over the years. This one's motor would smoke all of them. No clue how its built or setup, but its the strongest by far of any of the others. I've had "performance" motors built that were slower than this rig is.

The interior is in EXCELLENT condition. No rips, tears, or even cracks in the dash. Even the stock center console leather is still good.

Anyway, so here is the plan. I pretty much have everything to build this sitting up above my office at the shop. Here is the build list:
3" IFS Elim kit
4" Rear kit
61.25" Diamond front axle
30 spline shafts
5.29s
Spartan locker up front
Yukon Grizzly locker in the rear
Dual 2.28 cases
One of my front bumpers
I plan to fab another "Lambo" tire carrier in the rear.
Charcoal Gray Softopper

At this point i haven't decided what tires to run. I have some really clean Outlaw II wheels that I plan on using though. I figure either 35-37s will be likely.

Some pics of when we got it:

The only issue with most of the 4runners out this way in CO is that the stupid chrome wheel well trim holds the mag-chloride crap that they spray on the streets out here in the winter. So, every time it gets wet, it re-energizes again. The front fenders were pretty much wasted. But, the rears were actually in decent shape. There was some cancer below the gas door, and some on the PS under the hard top. Other than that it just needed some little work here and there.

So, I figured that we would strip it all out, lay in new steel, and re-paint the entire rig. I spent yesterday stripping the entire interior out and prepping it. Ben, one of my guys is pretty well versed with body work, so he went to town getting it ready for paint. My son chose Tangerine Orange for the new color.

·
Registered
772 Posts
way to be, dad :kewl: i wish my dad was into cars and trucks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
How do you find all these super clean rigs? I know you're right in the thick of it all the time, more so than most of us, but still. Nice find and cool project.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you find all these super clean rigs? I know you're right in the thick of it all the time, more so than most of us, but still. Nice find and cool project.
Interior wise it was in great shape. Carpet could use a good cleaning or replacement, but I never put much thought into that when looking for one.

On the exterior it wasn't as clean as many of the others I have owned through the years, but that will change as we rehab this thing back into a sweet rig. Plain and simple is that it had rust. The rear tailgate had been hit at some point which is why it now has a white tailgate.

The reason I bought this one is because of the motor and interior and it was bone stock. When I test drove it, I was shocked at how much power it had even with stock 4.10s and 31s. I actually didn't buy it that day since the guy wanted too much $$$ for it. Then the fuel pump when out in it and he called me to drop the price. I still over paid IMO, especially when I saw signs that the head gasket was going immediately after I bought it. But, I pulled the head and did a new timing set on it(which I would have done anyway). Then the motor woke up even more.

I then added a TG 50 state legal header and 2.25" exhaust system. That helped even more.

Don't get me wrong, its still a 22re. Its just a fast one compared to all of the other I have owned. And that is A LOT of them.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Digging that color. Now it just needs some Joker decals on it. :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Looks good! I personally would have kept the original paintjob only because they make a Matchbox that looks exactly like it!

:rofl:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I want one ^

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
But the pic on the box looks Orange!
Nah it's just the picture lol. They also have a light blue and a tan one with retro striping. I just can't find the tan one!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts