TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm helping a friend of mine add an amp to aftermarket speakers he put in to get a bit more sound. I wired up the amp last night and got all of the wires & rca's run.

My question - I know he will need a LOC which he got (we are doing 4 channels for all the door speakers minus the tweets.)

When I splice the speaker wires to the LOC to RCA's, will I just need to run RCA's back to the amp and that would run the speakers? I am having the hardest time picturing everything in my head. Or would I need to splice the speaker wires twice, and run the LOC and tie in speaker wire back to the amp?

·
Registered
236 Posts
You are going to need to run a signal from the head unit to the amp - RCA cables
You are going to need to run a signal from the amp to the speakers - speaker wire

Pull out some paper and start drawing. It'll come to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured so - I ran RCA's and 4 sets of speaker wires back behind the head unit, I knew I would need speaker wires back to the amp

If I used a LOC for all 4 speakers and ran the RCA's back to the amp is there any way I can hook up the speaker wires from the amp to the existing speaker wires? If I split the existing wire behind the head unit, one going to the LOC and one directly from the amp would that work?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't think you want to splice the wires in, or you'll end up creating a loop. Cut the wires at the head unit and wire the head unit to the LOC. Run RCAs from the LOC to the amp. Run new wires from the amp to the old wires you just cut at the head which run to only the speakers. I think that should do the trick. Out of curiosity, why are you messing with running RCAs and not just feeding speaker wires to the amp and no LOC? I used a LOC but only because I was adding an amp to power a sub in addition to running the factory rear speakers. Just wondering.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I figured so - I ran RCA's and 4 sets of speaker wires back behind the head unit, I knew I would need speaker wires back to the amp

If I used a LOC for all 4 speakers and ran the RCA's back to the amp is there any way I can hook up the speaker wires from the amp to the existing speaker wires? If I split the existing wire behind the head unit, one going to the LOC and one directly from the amp would that work?
not sure if you got this figured out yet or not, but yes you can do that. You can tap the loc from the back of the radio for the output signal needed for the rca cables, and then tap the speaker wire to the car side of the wires, to send signal tot he factory wires that already exist. hook the rca cables to the input of the amp, and the speaker wires to the output of the amp. you can also get your remote turn on radio while you are behind the radio.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts