TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah that's right I'm building another 3rd gen. I don't know why but I just can't seem to stay away from them.

Plans:
Lift 3" Suspension 1" body
In dash navi/DVD/ bla bla bla
Beadlocks
35's
Front & rear ARB's with 5.29's
Winch
Bumpers
Skids
Sliders
Bla bla bla I think you get the idea

Bought a Black 01 4runner with 111,000 on the clock bone stock. I'll get picks going when I have more time.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Yeah that's right I'm building another 3rd gen. I don't know why but I just can't seem to stay away from them.

Plans:
Lift 3" Suspension 1" body
In dash navi/DVD/ bla bla bla
Beadlocks
35's
Front & rear ARB's with 5.29's
Winch
Bumpers
Skids
Sliders
Bla bla bla I think you get the idea

Bought a Black 01 4runner with 111,000 on the clock bone stock. I'll get picks going when I have more time.
Is this your 4th one now? You really ought to post a sticky note on your fridge reminding you not to sell this one.. ;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this your 4th one now? You really ought to post a sticky note on your fridge reminding you not to sell this one.. ;)
Yeah I've had a 98 two 99's and now an 01 it's pretty stupid but whatever. I'll officially have too much $$$ wrapped up in this one to get ride of it. So if I get to the spot where I'm getting board with it too bad I'll be keeping it. Once I've gotten everything built the way I want I'll slowly start collecting parts for a SAS and when I've got everything together and ready I'll go ahead and SAS it. Thought about doing it up front but really didn't want to rush it. Figured I'd rather enjoy it for a few years while I peace everything together for the SAS.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day I brought it

First thing I did was get the timing belt, water pump, belts, trans fluid, and transfer case fluid all changed out so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got up to date on all the maintenance stuff I order my wheels. That's been almost a month ago and I still don't have them. Hopefully see them sometime next week. But in the meantime I have ordered and received several things.

I ordered my front lift from Sonoran Steel. In the past I've run everything from spacers to full out coilovers. But the nicest ride I ever had was with my Tundra/OME setup and it flexed every bit as much as the coilovers. The rest of my lift I ordered from Toytec which included OME 891's, OME 60028 Comfort ride shocks, and 1" body lift.

When it came to tires I already knew what I wanted. I've ran a few different sets of tires but in my opinion BFG KM2 is by far the best on/offroad tire available. My last set road very smooth on the road and hooked up great in the rocks, snow, and dirt. I can't say much about how they handle in muddy conditions (I hate mud) but I've heard good things. But when it came time to order them in the size I wanted 35x12.50R17 they were on nation wide backorder and I was looking at a six week wait time. So after calling around a little bit I found that Discount tire direct still had a set and was willing to beat any price I could find.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To balance the tires I'll be using 8.5 ounces of these per tire. Beats the heck out of sticky weights or standard wheel weights especially for a grand total of $17 for 5 tires.

Had a little left over

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also pickup up a vortex muffler,B&M tranny cooler, & some wheel spacers

And finally got around to installing the tranny cooler and bypassing the OE cooler to avoid the pink milkshake effect

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being that I can't mount my tires until my wheels show up I've opted to wait to install my suspension lift. Went ahead and installed the body lift so it won't really change the ride or the look for now.

I also went ahead and disabled my DRL's and installed a switch to control ATRAC/VSC.

And a temporary label for the switch

Disabling the DRLS was more simple than I would have thought just cut the wire.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also forgot to mention I put in some weathertech digital fit floor liners. I've had them in every vehicle I've owned for the past few years and while they are expensive I personally feel they are well worth it.

Well the stock head unit wasn't going to cut it so I picked up a Pioneer P3400BH off amazon. I did some reading on different unit's and this one had great reviews and was capable of performing everything I wanted it too and more. Along with the P3400BH I ordered a backup camera and the override so I could use all functions even while driving. And last but not least a ScangaugeII to help keep up with tranny temp and all the other fun stuff it tells you.

While I had all that going in I decided to toss in an old amp and sub I've had sitting in the garage for a couple years.
Bad picture of the rear cargo area with to sub tossed in

Mocking up the amp under the drivers seat

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really didn't like the mount for the license back up camera. It's bulky and weird looking. So looked at a bunch of options to help hide the camera but for it to still be functional. I was able to keep everything very clean and wires were run through factory holes. This is what I came up with.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got around to pulling the sticker off the back hatch and painting the faded spoiler.

Had a check engine light pop up will running down the road so I checked it with the ScangaugeII pulled up as P1135 A/F sensor. So I ordered the Denso replacement from amazon. Very quick and easy install and so far no more codes.

New and old

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the past I've always had round tube sliders but this time I was looking for something different. After looking around a some different options I decided I'd just start out with square tube 2x2 3/16". I saw this setup on a few old Branco's and just thought it looked clean, simple, functional and easy to add onto in the future if needed i.e (kickout's or angled round tube). After looking around at a few builds here I saw Dirtco had put together a set I really liked. So I went and bought about $62 worth of tube and got to work. I had a few 3/16" plates left over from a previous bumper build so that's what I used for my frame plates and end caps.

4x4 Frame plates

After looking good and hard at how long I wanted the sliders I decided on 63". At this length they should provide plenty of protection and leave plenty of room for 35's.

End caps traced out

And legs cut down

Caps cut and placed in the tube

Welded and smoothed

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Prepping the frame

Plates welded in

Thanks to Dirtco's writeup on his sliders I already knew I would want to fill in the gap between the tube and the body so it didn't look funny. But the only thing I had was 3/16" plate and that just seemed like a lot of added weight for something purely cosmetic. So instead I decided to look at what I had laying around and see what I could come up with. I ended up taking the plastic off of my stock running boards and using it as a filler.

It ended up being the perfect length and kind of gave it a little more of a factory look.

I wanted my sliders to stick out far enough that I felt I had a little bit of tree protection without it looking funny. However I also wanted it to be tucked as far up to the rocker panels as possible. So I decided to notch out the pinch weld were the legs would be. It doesn't see like much but it made a big difference in where the sliders ended up.

Welded the legs in place (flux core no gas)

To attach the plastic to the sliders I used 9 self tapping metal screws.

Then for a little paint

After letting the paint sit overnight I welded the sliders on

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered built 3rd's front and rear from ECGS 5.29's and ARB's and I have nothing but great things to say about their customer service and super fast shipping.

I wanted the ability to to fill tires if needed so I peace'd this together this from home depot it's simple and it works.

And then tossed in the 3rd's

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today was Thanksgiving but since I was stuck at work we played a little and then I got a few more things finished up

Compressor mounted up and switches installed

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a call from Raceline today and my wheels are officially on their way. Should be here on Wednesday next week. But in the mean time I got a few things done.

In an effort to maximize my stock rocker panel switch locations I built a little panel out of old plastic and sheet metal I had laying around the garage. This leaves one spot for driving/fog lights. I got this idea when I was looking through ARKRWLR's build and saw the rocker switch panel he bought from Otrattw.com

Also pick up a DieHard Platinum marine battery. The factory battery mount wouldn't fit so I fabbed one up real quick.

Picked up a 25ft air hose from harbor freight for $5 for topping tires off if needed. Now I just need to pick up a good air chuck that clips on so I don't have to sit and hold it.

And after a short wait my winch arrived. I was pretty pleased with quality of everything.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright now that I'm all caught up I'll try to keep this a little more up to date.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Awesome... Thanks so much for all the details! Gives me the itch to do something to mine... Ruh roh!

Did you already sell the rims? Looks like you moved from the 16" 5-stars to older model 15s.

Dibs when you decide to sell this one :cool:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
7 Participants
Jordan7118
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing