TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Awesome... Thanks so much for all the details! Gives me the itch to do something to mine... Ruh roh!

Did you already sell the rims? Looks like you moved from the 16" 5-stars to older model 15s.

Dibs when you decide to sell this one :cool:
It's always fun playing with these 3rd gens. Between Waldo and myself maybe we can talk you into it.

Yeah a buddy of mine just bought a 98 that was rolled on it's side but still runs and drives great for a $1000 so he had these old style 16's on his and wanted to buy my newer style 5 stars. Anyway I sold those to him and I'm rocking his old wheels until my new wheels show up.

Should be several years before I ever sell this one but I'll do my best to remember you called dibs haha.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Oh... I always thought those were 15s... oops!

Do you have a part number for the front struts? You just ordered replacement struts and coils for a Tundra?

And tell me more about this ATRAC/VSC disabling... Please...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh... I always thought those were 15s... oops!

Do you have a part number for the front struts? You just ordered replacement struts and coils for a Tundra?

And tell me more about this ATRAC/VSC disabling... Please...
Some of them are but if I recall they were typically off of 4cyl tacoma's and runners.

On one of my previous 4runners I peaced everything together myself from TRDparts4u.com. And yes it's basically tundra struts and coils with toyota top outs. Much more info can be found here http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=49.0 or if you have become lazy like I have you can just order this setup assembled or with some assembly required from http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=16 or pre assembled http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=9

ATRAC/VSC OFF otherwise known as the Andymod for 01-02 4runners:
I chose to go this route http://www.yotatech.com/f127/disabling-vsc-trac-2001-2002-4runner-vsc-trac-systems-103814/

This is your other option:
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/andymod-2-0-abs-remains-active-204623/

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
With anticipation of my wheels showing up on Wednesday I went ahead put my lift and wheel spacers on. You can see how close the coils are at full drop & full lock with no weight of wheel or tire on it so I'd be willing to bet limit straps a are in my future.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I personally haven't. But it is a very popular way to go. Works well for guys running with a lot of added weight in the rear. If I recall there are different hights of LC coils also. I want to say some have 7 wraps and others have 8. Don't quote me on that I'd have to do a little looking around.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not really stiffer just taller. Where my coils net 2.5-3" of lift the LC coils net another 1" or so. Allowing guys that carry more weight to do so without having a saggy rear, air bags, or super stiff springs.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
After waiting over a month my wheels finally showed up. And go figure they sent the wrong rings. I believe Raceline makes a great product but my experience with their customer service was by far the worst experience I've ever had with anyone. At this point I decided I didn't care anymore and went ahead and mounted everything up. The all black look is growing on me.

Wheels are 4.75" BS I'm running 1.5" spacers front and 1/4" wheel spacers rear

I knew I'd have to do some cutting

And then I went out and checked my clearance and I'm happy to say I have zero rubbing issues up front. I was happy to find out I don't rub the frame at full lock either. I do have a little rubbing in the rear but it shouldn't take much to solve the problem. I'll be working on that tomorrow.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It wasn't the original plan. But they sent the wrong rings so for now I'm just going with it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I bought through Dave's offroad supply. When I first placed my order I ordered the polished wheels with black ring. A week went buy and I hadn't heard anything so I called Dave's he called Raceline and they thought they had 11 in stock but it turned out they only had 3. They told Dave it would be 9 months before they would have a 4th to match because the mold for that particular wheel was broken. Then Raceline told him they could give me the black ones though. So I said sure let's do it (black with polished ring). Few days go buy and I hear back from Dave it turned out they didn't have those either. But they had 2 black and 3 polished so they offered to send off the polished ones to get PC'd to match. Couple weeks go buy and they get the wheels back but they don't match because they only sent 3 off not 4. So then they had to be sent off to get stripped and back to PC. This time something happened at the PC shop and they had to be sent back to the stripper and then back to the PC shop again. And finally they shipped. To make things right they sent me a "care package" that included a hat, hoody, and T-shirt. So when the wheels show up I realize they sent me the wrong rings. I call Dave and tell him and he calls Raceline. Raceline says if I ship them back they will send me the ones I ordered (shipping on my dime). I raise hell about that and tell Dave it's it's crap. They also offer to send me the polished rings for cost $40 each instead of $80 each shipped. I told them they should just ship me what I ordered and I'll keep the black rings too considering how long I've waited and that way I can just bolt everything up and switch rings later. They say they have already lost money on my wheels so they can't. But they say instead of me paying shipping they will send a call tag with the new rings. Dave says he'll see what he can figure out but to be ware if I mount the black rings they are mine. I'm pissed and tired of waiting so I mount up black rings and say to hell with it. Dave calls me a few times the next day but I'm busy at work so I call him later that afternoon and get his voice mail. I tell him I was tired of waiting and I mounted the black rings. He calls me back and freaks out because he took it upon himself to ship the polished rings thinking I would go that route. He tells me I'll have to pay for them (even though I didn't order them) so I basically tell him to kiss off and he hangs up on me. I called him back (got his voice mail) and told him if he doesn't want his rings sitting in my garage he better call me back and let me know what to do with them when they show up at my house. He still hasn't called me back. Sorry for the rant hope it all made sense.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Ho... Lee... Crap...

That is not how you treat customers. "We screwed up, but you need to pay for that."

Having worked in manufacturing, I can tell you they really screwed it up big to make that many mistakes. Poor customer service all the way through on that deal. Hate to see Dave have to eat that, but he made a mistake in not communicating with you about it.

So you started out with polished wheels and black rings, and now may end up with black wheels and polished rings. Intense!

Sorry for your bad luck, Anthony. That's really frustrating to pay out the ying-yang and then get stomped by customer service :(

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Absolutely sick rig man! You are doing just about every mod most of us dream about on here! Love the sliders, love the wheels, love the detail shots of trimming the front for clearance. Someday I hope to have a rig somewhere near that level!
Thanks I'm really liking the way it's coming together so far.

Well with these heavy beadlocks and 35's my brakes weren't going to do the trick for long. So I made the decision to get started on the tundra brake swap soon rather than later. Big thanks to BigFishAllDay for his very detailed writeup on the process. I got all my stuff from Autozone and so far I'm very happy with the outcome.

Old vs. New

BigFish gave me some good info on these calipers. Here is the PM he sent me regarding what to look for when buying these from Autozone instead of NAPA

One more thing I wanted to mention... When you go in to buy your parts, ask if they have multiple sets of the calipers that you can check out. The ones I got from Autozone appeared to be NEW castings, not remanufactured OEM castings like the NAPAs. I'm thinking that some of what Autozone sells are actual factory remans (which I would opt for if given the choice), and some are new castings.

Check out these pics... See how the NAPA calipers have the stamping "13WL", along with "R1", and on the outboard side there is more stampings, that teardrop shape, and some sort of number on the RH side. Also, note that the casting is much smoother overall.

Versus the Autozone calipers... Notice they ONLY have the "13WL" stamping? I'm thinking somebody somewhere made a new mold and is casting new calipers for Autozone.

Notice the notch in the casting on the RH side of that outermost surface? The NAPA's don't have that notch. Also, notice no serial numbers or markings.

And here's the rest of my pics

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I also needed to get the rear all squared away. With my previous 4runner I was able to trim a good amount out of the rear and not worry about extended bump stops. I quickly learned with the wider wheel it wasn't going to be quite that easy this time. I did a very minimal amount of trimming in the rear (sorry no pics I'll try to get some later) and made my own extended bump stops.

Crappy pic of the stock bump

Had some scrap 1x1 square tube laying around so it was convenient

I welded the bottom side of the tubes together and then just a few spot welds on the top for kicks. I didn't weld the top completely because it really just would have been overkill and more stuff for me to grind in order for the surface to be smooth against the frame. After the tubes were welded together I welded them to the top of the old bump stop. And got some grade 8 bolts to fasten them to the original location.

Finished product

All mounted up

1" was the perfect amount of added bump to clear the tires (I'll add better pics later)

Was also going through the back of the runner to see what all I could move around/get ride of. I carry a lot of stuff on a day to day so every little bit of space counts. Found a new spot for my hose.

I was a little worried about metal on metal noise that might be created by the air connections hitting the hood on bumpers. So I tucked them inside of the hose and re-connected them.

Also got my rear diff breather knocked out

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
7 Participants
Jordan7118
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing