TTORA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Bla bla bla bla... show off. ;)

Are those autozone calipers painted or pr-coated with anything? I want to say mine looked similar (advanced auto) but now they're covered in a rust/mud color. I wish I would have painted them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Good work, Anthony :cool:
Thanks Jordan!

Bla bla bla bla... show off. ;)

Are those autozone calipers painted or pr-coated with anything? I want to say mine looked similar (advanced auto) but now they're covered in a rust/mud color. I wish I would have painted them.
I know bla bla bla

Yes they are. I was worried about rust but asked BigFish about the ones he put on his wife's runner and he said no rust issues. So I decided not to paint mine either.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Got a little more work done yesterday. Needed to replace my factory washer fluid due to some rubbing caused by the 35's. Had an idea in my head for the relocation of my washer fluid so I took a trip to hardware store for some 3" PVC pipe.

I could only find PVC in 5' sections White or Black. White PVC was literally half the price so it was a no brainer. Since I only had the option of a 5' section I decided it was a good time to go ahead and do the internal snorkel. I don't plan on getting deep enough to really need a full on snorkel but it's nice to know it's there if I need it and I'll be well protected in general.

For the Snorkel
Started with 5' of 3" PVC and two 90 degree bends flared only on one side. Along with a reducer 3"-2"

Then I took off the fender and removed the OEM hardware.

I wanted a better fitted peace for the air box since it won't be sealed shut (in case I need to remove air box for some reason. So I cut off a section of the air box that sticks out through the inner fender and then glued and siliconed the reducer in place. Not a good picture sorry.

If you heat up the PVC it will bend easily. If you pack it with sand first you can eliminate kinking in the tube. I wasn't real concerned with a little kink. Drilled a hole for access into the cab. Glued and siliconed everything and this is the final product.

Inside the fender well

Many say that this won't add much noise to the cab but I'll tell you it is VERY LOUD when you punch the gas. So here's my solution. Pictures are before and after.

I used a 2" pressure test cap to block off the hole. You put it in and twist the wing nut which expands the rubber gasket behind the top lid closing off the tube. The idea here is that for normal everyday driving it will be plugged (won't be able to pull air from the cab) and my deck plate will be the only source for intake. But once off the beaten path with worries of large amounts of dirt, dust, or water the plug will come out with just a twist and the deck plate will be installed (all air will be pulled from the cab).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Now this is what I came up with for the washer fluid. I took a peace of 3" PVC and glued and siliconed a 3" test cap to the bottom. Didn't get a picture of it but it's just a very thin walled peace of plastic pops on the end of the PVC. Once that was done I drilled out two holes in the bottom of the PVC one for the front washer fluid motor and one for the rear. Covered the outside of the rubber gasket with silicone installed and then installed the motors.

Re-ran my wires and tubing

Then I needed a cap. So I used a 3" pressure test cap. I had to drill a few holes in the cap to prevent suction inside the tube and then installed.

I used a large zip tie to run around the tube to hold it in place at the bottom. This is a picture of the drivers side front inner fender well.

Final product

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well after a fairly short period of time I started to notice some surface rust forming on my tundra calipers so I tossed some paint on them before it got any worse. Didn't get any pics of the final product just a quick pic of getting them back on.

Also decided to trade out my 1.50" wheel spacers for some 1.25" spacers up front. It brought my overall width front and rear within a 1/4" of an inch of each other. Front being just barely wider. Still clear the frame rail at full lock.

And my rear bumper from Scotty at Addicted finally came in and all I can't say enough about the quality of work and the customer service. Great product and great guy to do business with. My front bumper was expected to ship today so I'll email Scotty to see if it did for sure and hopefully have it on by the end of this week.

Also looking for creative idea's for (front) turn signals. I want LED's so they are bright and I want them to be something that blends and looks nice with a tube front bumper. I've looked around quite a bit and so far I really like these the best.http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm They are small and I can get them in sequential or normal patterns. But they seem a little pricey for what they are. If anyone has other suggestions I'd love to here them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Sorry in advance for all the crappy cell phone pics. I'm too lazy to go get my camera.

Well I finally got around to putting my roll bar in and then started looking at what I was going to do to maximize space in the cargo area. I carry a lot of stuff in my 4runner everyday. I'm a full time Firefighter but on my off days I'm a Volunteer Firefigher and part of a Technical Rescue Team. I'm certified in Rope rescue, Swiftwater rescue, Trench rescue, Structural Collapse rescue, and bla bla bla. Anyway because I do a lot of this in my off time it requires that I'm ready at a moments notice and also requires that I have my gear with me for direct responses.

Started out just moving stuff around in the back trying to make the most of the limited space

I thought about putting everything in rubbermaid containers and just stacking it in the back. Problem is I need immediate access to my equipment in the event of an emergency. So I decided to build a shelf that would bolt to my roll bar and be easy to put in and pull out.

I used some scrap tube to hold up the rear of the platform. The seats hold the platform from tilting up and the tube holds the platform from tilting down. So it's good and snug.

And added these to make sure there was no movement

Then covered it with some old 4runner carped and got it installed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Next it was time to load up all my junk starting with the sub.

Recovery gear and some tools

Then med bag

72 Hour pack in case of deployment

Bunker gear, Helmet, mask, and light

And then I added my dog barrier

Hi-lift location haven't build the mount itself yet but It will be a simple bolt with wing nut system.

And with all my gear loaded in the rear

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Also got my bumper all mounted up

Had to trim the lower tube a little due to 35's rubbing but wasn't any big deal

And per my wife's request I added some grip tape to the sliders. It's not much but it's all it really needed to make sure your foot doesn't slip on the way in.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Killer... I love your updates! I see a lot of time and $ up in this beast! But, you seem to be putting it in the right places (that's what she said!).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Bumper finally came in and I have nothing but great things to say about it.

To fit the Smittybilt X20 10K fit's the bumper perfect with minor trimming to the grill

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well other than a few little trips down to the local creek bed I haven't really taken this thing out for a good shake down run. Had a few locals wanting to get out and hit up some trials so we headed out to Byrd's adventure center in Cass, AR. The weather was horrible it had rained all night the night before and rained on and off all day the day of. I hate mud but sometimes you just have to deal with it.

Taking a break for lunch right off the main trail

Back on the trail

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Had a great time. The jeep busted up a passenger side door but other than that there was no major damage. So we aired up and came home.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
7 Participants
Jordan7118
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing