TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i bought OME 881 springs i also inherently got springs of exactly the same length. so i'm left with the minor issue of the driver side droop due to extra weight on that side.

the Bilstein shocks for coilover springs use a snapring to support the spring perch. i did not want to use hoaky spring shims (although some large metal shims can be obtained from mcmaster.com) so i decided to fabricate a dedicated tool for cutting new snapring grooves into the shock body. i have tool design down on paper and i today ordered up a carbide grooving tool from Enco.

i will be able to precisely add grooves to any Bilstein that uses snapring for the perch, allowing me to move the snapring up or down to gain or remove preload.

i'm trying to aquire parts for my tool via "samples" and from local machine shops that discard metal stock.

after this project is complete, i will start to develop a "kit" for making any Bilstein coilover shock into a fully adjustable coilover (using a threaded sleeve and moving the snapring way down on the shock).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
cvajs said:
since i bought OME 881 springs i also inherently got springs of exactly the same length. so i'm left with the minor issue of the driver side droop due to extra weight on that side.

the Bilstein shocks for coilover springs use a snapring to support the spring perch. i did not want to use hoaky spring shims (although some large metal shims can be obtained from mcmaster.com) so i decided to fabricate a dedicated tool for cutting new snapring grooves into the shock body. i have tool design down on paper and i today ordered up a carbide grooving tool from Enco.

i will be able to precisely add grooves to any Bilstein that uses snapring for the perch, allowing me to move the snapring up or down to gain or remove preload.

i'm trying to aquire parts for my tool via "samples" and from local machine shops that discard metal stock.

after this project is complete, i will start to develop a "kit" for making any Bilstein coilover shock into a fully adjustable coilover (using a threaded sleeve and moving the snapring way down on the shock).
way to reinvent whats already been done by countless other companies..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
cvajs said:
... you mean the threaded sleeve thing? or the groove cutter?
both, you can order bilsteins with the groove in any location and bilstein makes a kit for the threaded collar, your not doing anything new.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
DesertTRD said:
both, you can order bilsteins with the groove in any location and bilstein makes a kit for the threaded collar, your not doing anything new.
i already have shocks, and so do thousands of other people. does Bilstein take mine back and give me a new one with grooves where i want them?

where do you order Bils with custom grooves cut in them ??

my TIG, MIG, and shop gear was getting bored from not being used :)

the threaded collar idea was just that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
cvajs said:
i already have shocks, and so do thousands of other people. does Bilstein take mine back and give me a new one with grooves where i want them?
Have you called? :p
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
cvajs said:
since i bought OME 881 springs i also inherently got springs of exactly the same length. so i'm left with the minor issue of the driver side droop due to extra weight on that side.

the Bilstein shocks for coilover springs use a snapring to support the spring perch. i did not want to use hoaky spring shims (although some large metal shims can be obtained from mcmaster.com) so i decided to fabricate a dedicated tool for cutting new snapring grooves into the shock body. i have tool design down on paper and i today ordered up a carbide grooving tool from Enco.

i will be able to precisely add grooves to any Bilstein that uses snapring for the perch, allowing me to move the snapring up or down to gain or remove preload.

i'm trying to aquire parts for my tool via "samples" and from local machine shops that discard metal stock.

after this project is complete, i will start to develop a "kit" for making any Bilstein coilover shock into a fully adjustable coilover (using a threaded sleeve and moving the snapring way down on the shock).
or you could just buy a set of custom hds from Downey along with the threaded sleeves and coil seats :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
cvajs said:
Called for what? I've been in contact with Jack French, but i'm not sure what you're asking.
Have you called to see if Bilstein will take 'em back and put the groove on or give you another set with the grooves. That's all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
hytenor said:
or you could just buy a set of custom hds from Downey along with the threaded sleeves and coil seats :p
I just took a look at these. Are these just like an adjustable coilover? It appears that way. I guess I'm just confused with the pic of all the extra parts where as usual pics of coilovers has them pre-assembled. I've been looking at different kits (going on 3 years now :confused: ) and have never seen this setup discussed. Thanks.
 

·
Deal Master
Joined
·
2,775 Posts
AZTaco said:
I just took a look at these. Are these just like an adjustable coilover? It appears that way. I guess I'm just confused with the pic of all the extra parts where as usual pics of coilovers has them pre-assembled. I've been looking at different kits (going on 3 years now :confused: ) and have never seen this setup discussed. Thanks.
check these out too
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/coilovr1.htm
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
grillmasterp said:
i'd have to see this on a shock. i have a few questions about it (thanks for the link, if it works i'm buying it for my drivers side).

1. Bils have different diameter shock bodies, how is this a universal fit? to be correct the ID of that sleeve should be very close to the OD of the shock body.

2. where does that snapring go? the only retaining mechansim currently on the Bils for coilovers is the snapring groove they already cut into the shock body. (unless this goes at the top up against the shock tower mount, but them i dont know what that piece is with its' side missing is for).

i'll contact stockcarproducts for more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
cvajs said:
i'd have to see this on a shock. i have a few questions about it (thanks for the link, if it works i'm buying it for my drivers side).

1. Bils have different diameter shock bodies, how is this a universal fit? to be correct the ID of that sleeve should be very close to the OD of the shock body.

2. where does that snapring go? the only retaining mechansim currently on the Bils for coilovers is the snapring groove they already cut into the shock body. (unless this goes at the top up against the shock tower mount, but them i dont know what that piece is with its' side missing is for).

i'll contact stockcarproducts for more info.
there are a few people already using that coilover kit on this board, i dont remember their names but they did it as a cheap coilover kit.

bilstein is the one who makes that coilover kit, and they are ment to fit the 2" shock, a bilstein 5100 is the same outside diameter as a bilstein 7100.

that snapring is for teh shock body, you konw that magical groove you seem to want to modify, well thats the same snapring they just made it a seperate part for those who dont have a grove already in the shock...

You would be supprised but I know quite a bit about bilstein products, different shocks and how suspension works, afterall I used to sell this stuff and still actually deal with it every day.

and if you wanted to YOU CAN send your shock back to bilstein to get it re-grooved, however its something like 50 bucks a shock. you can request your shock have the groove moved up by bilstein before you ever actually buy it... they do do that..

And I dont know who your saying your contact is, Jack Front doesnt sound familier at all.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DesertTRD said:
there are a few people already using that coilover kit on this board, i dont remember their names but they did it as a cheap coilover kit.

bilstein is the one who makes that coilover kit, and they are ment to fit the 2" shock, a bilstein 5100 is the same outside diameter as a bilstein 7100.

that snapring is for teh shock body, you konw that magical groove you seem to want to modify, well thats the same snapring they just made it a seperate part for those who dont have a grove already in the shock...

You would be supprised but I know quite a bit about bilstein products, different shocks and how suspension works, afterall I used to sell this stuff and still actually deal with it every day.

and if you wanted to YOU CAN send your shock back to bilstein to get it re-grooved, however its something like 50 bucks a shock. you can request your shock have the groove moved up by bilstein before you ever actually buy it... they do do that..

And I dont know who your saying your contact is, Jack Front doesnt sound familier at all.
if that snapring goes in the groove i have now then what's the point of the kit. i would want to mount the kit lower down on the shock so i could use the big nut to adjust quite a bit (i dont wish to start where i'm at now). is that snapring shown the same ID (or close to) the ID of that sleeve, it does not look that way in the pic.

as i posted, Bilstein does not groove for free, plus shipping. i'll tool a grooving jig for about $50.

i never said "Front" was my contact, but the guy is shop supervisor of their CA office/shop....

thanks all for the feedback, this is good info for all.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
AZTaco said:
I just took a look at these. Are these just like an adjustable coilover? It appears that way. I guess I'm just confused with the pic of all the extra parts where as usual pics of coilovers has them pre-assembled. I've been looking at different kits (going on 3 years now :confused: ) and have never seen this setup discussed. Thanks.
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionComponents/index.htm
pt# 48095

they use a 1 1/2" spacer in place of the OE top plate. This spacer acts as a 1/2 & 1/2 pre-load/top-load so the assembly pushes the lower control arms down about 3/8". it's actually an interesting design. this system is supposed to be better for general wheeling but not so hot for hi-speed running on rough terrain. the coils are not as stiff as what comes in most adjustable coilover systems now. (600# vs 650-675#)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hytenor said:
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionComponents/index.htm
pt# 48095

they use a 1 1/2" spacer in place of the OE top plate. This spacer acts as a 1/2 & 1/2 pre-load/top-load so the assembly pushes the lower control arms down about 3/8". it's actually an interesting design. this system is supposed to be better for general wheeling but not so hot for hi-speed running on rough terrain. the coils are not as stiff as what comes in most adjustable coilover systems now. (600# vs 650-675#)
those springs in their pic looks like they are flat ground on each end. hence i'm very interested in knowing how the kit from http://www.stockcarproducts.com/coilovr1.htm works with a spring that requires "helical" spring perch (like OEM and OME 881 springs have on their bottom). i guess the OEM or new perch you get with the purchase of new Bils could just sit on the spanner nut..?? i dunno.....

is that Downey "Downey includes billet aluminum upper spring seats" the upper shock tower mount??

that kit at http://www.stockcarproducts.com/coilovr1.htm (compared to what Downey shows) has extra parts, snapring and that piece with large slit on it's side, what are those?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
hytenor said:
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionComponents/index.htm
pt# 48095

they use a 1 1/2" spacer in place of the OE top plate. This spacer acts as a 1/2 & 1/2 pre-load/top-load so the assembly pushes the lower control arms down about 3/8". it's actually an interesting design. this system is supposed to be better for general wheeling but not so hot for hi-speed running on rough terrain. the coils are not as stiff as what comes in most adjustable coilover systems now. (600# vs 650-675#)
For about the same price I can get some SAW's. Interesting but I think I decided recently to go ahead and just get the All Pro full front kit with either shackles/5100's (or equivalent available) or if the money is there spring for the new leaf pack (pun intended). Heatstroke seems to like his.
Thanks.

Edit: My wheeling consists of Arizona rocky trails, not fast-paced desert terrain. Not too fast, not too slow. If you've run Charouleau Gap near Tucson that's the toughest trail I would do (and just did yesterday, stock :))
http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2004/c-gap/index.html
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DesertTRD said:
...

and if you wanted to YOU CAN send your shock back to bilstein to get it re-grooved, however its something like 50 bucks a shock. you can request your shock have the groove moved up by bilstein before you ever actually buy it... they do do that..

And I dont know who your saying your contact is, Jack Front doesnt sound familier at all.
Correction, Bilstein website says they charge only $10 per groove:

"External snap ring grooves: $10 ea."
http://www.bilstein.com/html/service/index.htm
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top