TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Newbee to this board but long time Toyota fan. I will be buying two new cars in the near future the first is going to be a Taco double cab long bed. I need help with the second which will be for my wife. I am considering the highlander, 4-runner, pilot and pathfinder. We live in the NYC area and would rarely use it off-road; however, we do travel to Penn frequently for skiing. Oh, yeah... we have a kid on the way so ease of access to back and storage for the junk in the car is a major factor. Any help, oppinions, past experiences would be appreciated.

Thanx

JOE

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
since youre a toyota fan i'd say go with the 4runner. it's a little bigger than the highlander and you're gonna need the extra room with the kid and all the stuff he/she will accumulate over the years

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you're looing for ride quality and want to stay with a Yota then go with the Highlander. But if you would like practicality, convenience and space then take a look at the Honda Pilot. We've had one for about 3 months now with only one complaint, the gas mileage. With mostly street miles we hover around 15 MPG, but hey, it's an SUV afterall. If you want to research the Highlander then I would suggest going to www.toyotanation.com/forum and for the Pilot www.hondapilot.org/forums . Do your research on those sites and you can get a better understanding of what will be good for you and your wife. BTW, the Pilot board has a forum for comparisons for the Pilot vs. other vehicles as well by forum members, check 'em out.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
In my opinion, I would stay away from the Nissan. I here too much stuff going wrong on their newer stuff ( Tercel89 will tell you his ordeal ). I would probably go with the Pilot or the 4-Runner. I have a Honda CRV and it has been awesome, but it sounds like you want something bigger. Just get out there and drive them both and think about it for a week or so. I was set on the Rav4 for my wife until I drove them and thought about it for a while and then went with the Honda. You really can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
320 Posts
highlander is a great vehicle for the lady. if you are to drive it often then 4runner is the ticket. When we had our boy five months ago I gave my 2002 4runner sport to my wife, sold her 560sl, and created this monster below!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the Subaru Outback does it all: 8.7" of clearance that gives most trucks/SUVs a run for their money. Far safer and more effective AWD for all on road conditions and light off road use. Wagon versatility that offers good MPG, room for five and lots of space with seats down. Practical interior with monster sunroof and interior comforts. Handling and performance (turbo XT 0-60 in 5.9 sec) that tops a lot of sports cars. Reasonable reliability. And top rated passenger safety (lots of air bags, no roll over and superior avoidance maneuvering ability).

So can you tell I like this car. I would be driving it but parting with my backcountry Tacoma is to difficult, plus the Taco is paid for.

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
Joe Fast said:
Hi, Newbee to this board but long time Toyota fan. I will be buying two new cars in the near future the first is going to be a Taco double cab long bed. I need help with the second which will be for my wife. I am considering the highlander, 4-runner, pilot and pathfinder. We live in the NYC area and would rarely use it off-road; however, we do travel to Penn frequently for skiing. Oh, yeah... we have a kid on the way so ease of access to back and storage for the junk in the car is a major factor. Any help, oppinions, past experiences would be appreciated.

Thanx

JOE
Taco Double cab Long bed???????????????

·
Registered
136 Posts
nhlbill said:
Taco Double cab Long bed???????????????
Don't really understand your post. The double cab is available in two layouts. Short bed, long bed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Friends of mine just got the 4-Runner. They love it! The do not off-road but occasionally push through snow. It handled great this past weekend and they can't keep smiling about it. They weren't even Toyota fans, but they are hooked. If you are going to need the space/size get the 4-Runner otherwise the Highlander is an equally good choice. At about $4K less than the 4-Runner, the Highlander is great bang for the buck (particularly the Limited...).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Long Bed = NOT SHORT BED.

'Long Bed' is just the standard sized bed found on all other models of the 2005 Tacoma. In the 2005 Double Cab, you can only get their Shorter Bed, or the Standard Bed....nothing longer unless you go custom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well went out and did some serious comparisons. Bought the 2005 Pilot with Navi. Similarly prep'd Highlander was much more and they would not budge on the interest rate. I got the Honda for $32,000 with navi, lo-jack, remote start and all other options associated with the leather/navi package and the interest rate was 1.9. I also cought a glimps of the Ridgeline. I am not too impressed with the looks of it but it does have some cool features such as the storage under the bed and factory Navi option..... I would like to discuss/compare it to the Taco crew cab.

JOE

·
Registered
933 Posts
Stay away from Nissan. They are nice,but the last couple of years they have been trying to cater to a different, higher income crowd. They have raised the price of repairs, and believe me after 5-6 years it will need to be repaired. They rust pretty bad, and the electronics seem to crap after 100K.

Honda makes nice vehicles, but in many states the insurance on one will kill you. I find Honda's to be very uncomfortable.

I would look at the Subaru talked about above. It is lower to the ground for your wife's comfort. They handle better than any SUV. You shouldn't ever get stuck in the snow either. The MPG should be better also. Plenty of room for groceries, soccer balls, and more kids. However if you are large, or tall you might not fit.

The most bad-ars off course is the 4-runner. The style is sweet if you can afford the 40K+ price tag. But as with any SUV, there might be some hassle getting to the child seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts