TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know you guys get tired of these sorts of questions, but I swear I've done some searches and haven't found any previous posts that match my situation. Can I get bonus points for being a chick and braving these forums?

So, I'm about to leave my cushy life in the city for field work (I'm a biologist) in central Florida. My beloved BMW isn't going to cut it for that sort of thing (I'm guessing there's going to be lots of sand and mud involved), so I need to get a truck. I've got plenty of experience driving 4x4's for work, and used to have an '03 taco before I moved into the city, so I know that I do want to get another Toyota truck. The question is, which one?

I'll have around 10K to spend, so that of course restricts me to older, used trucks. I'm not looking for cosmetically perfect, and can deal with some level of maintenance needs (managed to replace the radiator and water pump on the bimmer without problems, so that's about the basic ability level I've reached). However, the mechanically tougher, the better. I don't see myself messing with mods.

So, given the above, any opinions on T100's versus early Tacomas? Seems like there's some nice ones of both floating around out here on the west coast. From what I've read, both get about the same MPG (at least considering I think I need an Xtra-cab and V6).

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

·
Registered
483 Posts
tacoma, with good tires a/t or m/t tires and youll have no regrets.
pick your color, and put in a cd player and your set. it'll give you what you need

·
Registered
77 Posts
For 10k, I bet you could find a really nice 98-00, 4x4, x-cab tacoma in good shape

Id take a Tacoma over a T-100 but thats just me.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The Tacoma has been around longer. There's more parts and mods available. From what I've seen the majority of people on this site are Taco owners or have owned one in the past. At the top of Early Tacoma Gen Tech there's a thread for tech manual's, and in most of the threads in the other areas people mostly are talking about Taco's. From what I've read and searched most of the people on this site would call it Toyota Tacoma Off Road Association? :flamethro suit on! You can't really go wrong with either one. It mostly depends on what catches your eye and what you'll be happy with. That's my :2cents:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice so far. Yes, I do realize this is the "Tacoma" forum, but it does seem like a fair number of folks have or have at one time had a non-Tacoma Toyota truck. I'd honestly not considered another other than a taco, but my searches online have rustled up a number of low-mile T100s in the NV and nor-cal area.

And yes, I am in Reno now. Will be driving to FL in a month, and considering the gear and dog who are coming with, figure it would make sense to buy a west coast truck and drive it on down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tacoma are great trucks, but I also have a bunch of good friends who have T100's who have driven them into the ground and they are still running great. Either choice is a good one. I know that field work requires a you to carry around quite a bit of stuff and the T100 is a little bigger. I can understand that most of the people on here really mod out their taco's and would lean towards them. I would tell you that in your case, not going to add a bunch of stuff to it, Then go with either one you want. They are both great trucks and both are very dependable. Both are very capable offroad left close to factory. I would just get one that fits your budget, is in pretty good shape, and slap some a/t or m/t tires on it and go. my :2cents:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts