TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy all,

i just found a rock chip above my windshield that's starting to rust (I live on the Gulf Coast). I wanna get this fixed before the cancer begins to spread, which happens quickly down here.

Any advice on how to treat the rusty spot and touch up the paint? I figured I'd get some black touch up paint from the dealer if not too expensive. Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do you use the naval jelly? just apply and let sit, then wipe off? or sand while it is on there?

I found some stuff on the webb that supposedly converts rust in to another compound, then you sand it, then paint. heard of that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's the same thing as the jelly. I have used it before and you just let it sit for like 24 hours and it turns black. It works and it is pretty easy to use.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Any other ideas? I have a couple of chips on my hood that are starting to rust.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
What you are referring to is called metal prep, or in the old days, os-phos. It changes rust-iron oxide to a new state- iron phosphate. It chemically converts rust. Doesn't kill it; converts it. You can then lightly sand it, apply some good primer, and paint it. Even for touch up. I have had good luck with cold galv. for a primer, and Dunn Edwards has a good metal primer, too. It is only by the gallon... You better think about that for touch up.Os-phos is easy. Between 1hr-12hrs for most jobs. Scrub clean, apply the stuff. It's like water. Wipe up the excess. Wait... the metal and rust turn grey, or black. Let it dry. Sand lightly, prime and paint.. Next dent????

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
FYI: due to paint age, UV damage, etc, touch up paint rarely matches whats on the truck from the factory :\ If it's just a little spot, you won't notice, if you are trying to paint more than that, good luck. On black it's going to stand out too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are just talking about minor surface rust inside the chipped area this is simple to fix. Take the edge of a razor blade and slowly scrape the rust away being careful not to damage the surrounding "good" paint. It is OK if you scrape off any loose paint around the edge of the chip. After the rust is gone, clean the area with a wax/tar remover. Apply the touchup paint as per instructions. I do prefer a toothpick to apply but to each his own. After it has cured for a day or so, polish and wax.

If the area is larger than just a regular chip, you will need to use sand paper due to the area involved. I would mask off the surrounding paint to keep it in good shape. Then paint however you need to.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A product called POR-15 works good, but would be kind of pricey for rock chips, your local paint store should be able to get it :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah POR15 is good stuff, Hard as nails. I used it on my skid plate and even with all the winter salt and gravel crap I have drove through the skid plate is still shiny new black. If you use the por15 make sure you put it on the slightly rusted surface because thats how it bonds, needs the rust (or prepped with "metal ready" but DONT get metal ready on the good paint- it etches). Make sure you use the directions and apply touch up paint shortly after the por becomes tacky or the touch up wont stick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts