TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I got my truck out of the body shop and took it to the dealer to get the power steering problem fixed. Apparantly, it is a big deal. $735 of a big deal. Parts and labor to install a high pressure hose. Does this sound right?... Chris King... ? Does anybody have any advice and/or able to assist in this situation? HELP!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
i just now had my power steering HP repaired and lemghten for $29.76 at a hydralic hose place.. I wouls look in the telephone book under equiptment repair place or call toolmart in SA and ask them for information on a hydro hose place just let them know chuck or Felix from the Houston store told you to get intouch with the SA store.

They actully made it alot better now if i need to replace one part or have to take the R&P off like i had to do 4 times in the past couple of weeks it makes it alot easier

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I just went hydraulic assist for less than that and I upgraded the ram.

FWIW, that High pressure hose is about 375.00 from toyota. I think that was what they (local stealer) quoted me for a new factory one. I was able to find a used one at a junk yard for 50.00.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Travis, it may be your lucky day.

I guess in the midst of my conversion I felt guilty about throwing away a 375 dollar PS line.

I still have it and it's in great condition.

Let me know if you are interested

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
I hear a WAT coming on in the near future for Travis!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WAT is on. Thanks, Steve. I'm gonna take a leisurely drive to the Woodlands on Sunday and let Steve give me a hand installing his old Power Steering Pressure Hose, instead of giving the dealer all the fingers off my left hand...........$$$$$$!

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
swank501 said:
I just went hydraulic assist for less than that and I upgraded the ram.

FWIW, that High pressure hose is about 375.00 from toyota. I think that was what they (local stealer) quoted me for a new factory one. I was able to find a used one at a junk yard for 50.00.
Wow, $375 for a new hose? I'm not at all familiar with the power steering hose. If it's a high pressure one, would a transmission cooler hose work just as well? They're rated for both high pressure and high temperature, but I really don't know how high a pressure trans line hose is rated for.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
equin said:
Wow, $375 for a new hose? I'm not at all familiar with the power steering hose. If it's a high pressure one, would a transmission cooler hose work just as well? They're rated for both high pressure and high temperature, but I really don't know how high a pressure trans line hose is rated for.
A custom made transmission line would work assuming you had the correct size metric end and banjo end.

IDK why it's so high. I guess they have their reasons :rolleyes:

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
travisheals said:
WAT is on. Thanks, Steve. I'm gonna take a leisurely drive to the Woodlands on Sunday and let Steve give me a hand installing his old Power Steering Pressure Hose, instead of giving the dealer all the fingers off my left hand...........$$$$$$!
Just name a weekend and I will come up to help you on the replacement.
Oh yeah, are you still planning to join Adam, me and the newbie for a day of wheeling in Bastrop??????

Talk to you later!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So Steve, it's on the drivers side, lower hose (return line?) with some metal 90 degree angle metal fittings. Possibly the metal fittings have been banged up and the seal is leaking? Are the metal fittings attached to the big expensive power steering hose that you have? I think that's what it is - the metal attachment pieces at the end of the hose that go into the rack and pinion steering stuff? Sorry, I don't know the names for all these parts........ any ideas? Lemme know.

·
Registered
282 Posts
First off, for God sakes, clean yer junk boy. Ain't nobody that likes workin on a filthy truck. :flipoff4: My guess is that yer HP PS hose got hit by that there bolt for the drop bracket.

This bolt should be installed with the threads away from the rack. Or you can just cut off the excess.

The R&P moves around too much for to have things to smack it around.
Invest in some poly rack bushings. Get yer new line installed and life will be good. :missingto

BTW, Shannon's gonna kick yer ass for parkin in his spot. :eek:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Come to find out, it's not the big power steering high pressure hose. My Procomp lift has a extra blue hose that attaches to the main hose, giving it a little more length. The extra hose has been beat up pretty good over time and it is leaking around the metal fitting where it attaches to the rack and pinion. Looks as if I'm going to have to talk to the Procomp folks and get another hose from them. In the meantime, Steve JB Welded the leaky part and it still drips a little from there, but at least I don't have to pull over every 10 minutes to add PS fluid.

Thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Travis, you may want to pull the entire hose off and bring it to a place that makes Hydraulic hoses (Napa) and see if they can make you a custom 2 piece long hose.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The Professor™ said:
First off, for God sakes, clean yer junk boy. Ain't nobody that likes workin on a filthy truck. :flipoff4: My guess is that yer HP PS hose got hit by that there bolt for the drop bracket.

This bolt should be installed with the threads away from the rack. Or you can just cut off the excess.

The R&P moves around too much for to have things to smack it around.
Invest in some poly rack bushings. Get yer new line installed and life will be good. :missingto

BTW, Shannon's gonna kick yer ass for parkin in his spot. :eek:
what it is... on the other side of that bolt, the edge of the drop bracket hits the fitting when it's at full turn and over time it loosened the fitting enough to leak fluid.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steve grinded that crap down now so I should have no more rubbing issues. Just ordered the new Procomp extended pressure line from 4WP and it should arrive this Friday. Hopefully............ cause it's leaking pretty damn bad once again!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
travisheals
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing