TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has nothing to do with offroading or toyotas but as some of you know I will be flying in my first aerobatics contest this weekend competing in the sportsman class. If anyone is interested in watching or coming out for a fun weekend/day in the heat feel free.

The contest is in Sterling CO on the airport there. If they keep the current schedule Ill have one flight saturday afternoon and two on sunday.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Sterling! Damned home slice. Cantcha be closer? :neener: :D

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and more importantly no residents to bitch at the noise we make. thats the main reason the local contest got moved out there when it used to be at longmont!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I like watching those redbull races. Wicked planes.

Good luck and have lots of fun!
We went and saw that in Monument Valley, Utah the year before last. Totally awesome. Especially the one that almost crashed into the crowd. Ha.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it was steve jones who bounced. Ive personally met kirby chambliss and mike michael goulian. both great, normal guys. someday ill be racing red bull. its a dream job for me :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think it was steve jones who bounced. Ive personally met kirby chambliss and mike michael goulian. both great, normal guys. someday ill be racing red bull. its a dream job for me :D
Your right, it was Steve Jones.

Heres a video of it taken by someone else: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCp7P1tGOyc

He pulled up just in time, otherwise he would have smacked right into the hill we were all sitting on.

Helluva fun time.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got out here today. had to divert and wait in fort morgan for an hour while the thunderstorms rolled out. got a little time in the box for practice. felt good but was flew a few manuvers out of bounds. have another practice flight tomorrow morning then its time for the real deal tomorrow afternoon. cant wait!

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the results are in!

Back safe and sound with some hardware!

I won the highest scoring 1st time sportsman pilot. Usually this is a freebie award given to the only new guy ballsy enough to fly sportsman their first time out instead of primary. But this time I had to compete with another pilot flying a Pitts S2 while I was stuck in my super decathlon. for those who dont know airplanes, lets just say its like he had a 3.4L and I had a 22r. Oh, did I mention that he is the CEO of Ball Aerospace. I hope he was partially serious when he said that if I beat him he'll give me an internship :D

I also brought home this thing for being the highest scoring pilot flying an American Champion plane. Not a standard award but the owner of the American dealership from sydney nebraska brings these to all the contests he goes to (about 1/2 of all national contests) and gives them to the pilot who scores highest in an American Champion plane. Looks like I did ok ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
thats pretty awesome man, wish i had the time /money to learn how to fly always been a little interest of mine

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nice job Jay! What kind of plane do you fly? How many G's do you pull flying in an aerobatic contest?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This the guy you beat? I met David Taylor years ago through a mutual aquatince. Nice guy for a bazillionare.

:clap::xbeer1:
Yep thats Dave. He really is a great guy for a CEO type. Hes just a normal pilot and a normal guy. seems like he would make a good potential boss someday. I shouldve talked with him more about potential internships but after I finally found out he was the CEO I was a little hesitant. lol

Nice job Jay! What kind of plane do you fly? How many G's do you pull flying in an aerobatic contest?
I fly a Super Decathlon. http://flightops.aero.und.edu/images/decathlon1024.jpg
its about as low performing plane as you can do acro in. The manual says overstress is +6/-3 Gs. Ive flown it to 7 and had to inspect it immediately after and it was fine. In my normal competition sequence I get to about 5.5 Gs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts