TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just traded off my Ford on a Tacoma 4x4 this afternoon.

Been looking/lurking around here for awhile trying to educate myself about these trucks.

New truck is a 2004 ext cab, 2.7 automatic. SR5 package. Not a speed demon, but was purchased to be a reliable daily driver that I could take up in the woods for hunting, get back to the secluded fishing spots, etc.

Not sure how I'll like the automatic long-term, but so far it's impressive, for what it is. 4.56s with 31x10.50x15 tires...probably will stay that way for a bit.

Looking at putting in a rear locker right off the bat. Suspension mods will come later, and, depending on how it performs through the winter months, maybe a winch bumper & winch. lol

Not a stranger to Toyota, having owned a '83 4x4 back in high school (1994) that was, well, abused to say the least. This new truck will be treated better, but still plan on using it as intended.

Hopefully I made a good choice with this one. It's not exactly what I want, yet, but seems like a good starting point.

This looks like a great site--thanks to all who make it happen.

Cheers,

Dan-

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Welcome to TTORA!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't ya know it.....the dealer told me the truck has 4.10 gears, but the axle code reads B04A. That's apparently 4.56 gears based on the info here.

Guess I'll have to jack it up in the morning and count some revolutions. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
29,000 and change.

Really liking the automatic thus far. Had it way up in the woods today---think it's a keeper. :)

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I had that exact same combo in my 99, but in Prerunner 2wd form. That combo never let me down or left me stranded broke down. In fact, I accidentally wrecked it, and it still drove straight six months later til I finally decided to trade it in all dented up with about 180K miles on it. I've got the 3.4L V6 in my 03 now, and I can only hope it lasts as long and as trouble free as my 99 2.7L 4 cylinder did in my 99. About the only known problem on the 2.7L is the stock exhaust manifold tends to crack in between the #2 and #3 cylinders, but that just gave me a good excuse to get a performance header, which was super easy to install on that engine. You'll find that the 2.7L is a breeze to work on, especially when compared to Ford (I know, I have a fullsize 93 Bronco, and the Tacoma is much, much easier to work on).

As for the gear code, I don't know what Toyota was thinking, but you can't really rely on it. Best bet is to jack it up and count the driveshaft rotations. You can also e-mail Toyota.com with your VIN# and they'll respond a few days later with your gear ratio.

Welcome to TTORA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
equin
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing