TTORA Forum banner

Aftermarket bumper necessary for winch?

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  hytenor 
#1 ·
Just wondering if there is any solid and dependable way to attach a winch to a stock bumper that has a Westin Safari Light Bar on it. Do you need an ARB bumper? I'm not suggesting mounting it to the Safari bar . . . just curious to see what my possibilities are. Also, what is the lightest duty winch you can get away with. Looking for cost effective, but reliable. Is the Warn M6000 to small, or is there one smaller. Thanks.

#2 ·
Portman said:
Just wondering if there is any solid and dependable way to attach a winch to a stock bumper that has a Westin Safari Light Bar on it. Do you need an ARB bumper? I'm not suggesting mounting it to the Safari bar . . . just curious to see what my possibilities are. Also, what is the lightest duty winch you can get away with. Looking for cost effective, but reliable. Is the Warn M6000 to small, or is there one smaller. Thanks.
The M8000 is about the minimum for a Tacoma.

Later,
....Mike

#3 ·
Portman said:
there are a few members who have fabbed up winch mounts behind their OE bumpers that work very well. There is no way to mount a winch to the OE bumper, it only weighs about 8# and is make of plastic ;) check with SteveO in Canada for a nice setup.

Warn makes a grill guard/winch mount that mounts to the OE recovery points on the frame ends. After doing as much winching as I have I wouldn't trust that w/o some other bracing. Weston does not make a bar that will work.

I agree, the 8000# size is a minimum for the Taco.

You will also need to upgrade your front suspension with heavier coils/shocks or coilovers. OE suspension cannot handle the extra weight.

You say 'cost effective' what is your price guesstimate for the whole pkg?

#4 ·
Well, I know the M8000 is around $650. or so. I am planning on getting the OME suspension package , so I should probably go with the 882's if I get the winch. Ideally I would like a Westin Safari Light Bar and some Hella 500's as a set up up front. A winch would be a nice feature, just something I'll get when I can really afford it. First I need the OME kit, new wheels and tires, etc. etc. I am also planning on putting on a 1 or 2" Body lift. Is a winch even possible with a body lift?

#5 ·
Portman said:
Well, I know the M8000 is around $650. or so. I am planning on getting the OME suspension package , so I should probably go with the 882's if I get the winch. Ideally I would like a Westin Safari Light Bar and some Hella 500's as a set up up front. A winch would be a nice feature, just something I'll get when I can really afford it. First I need the OME kit, new wheels and tires, etc. etc. I am also planning on putting on a 1 or 2" Body lift. Is a winch even possible with a body lift?
If you want a winch you will want to rethink the OME suspension unless you stick with OE 31" tires; it can't handle the weight AND maintain much lift...been there, done that along with several others here... OME's coils are only 500# and you'll need at lest 600# springs for a winch. Adjustable coilovers like Donahoe, Sway Away, Downey, etc. are recommended as all of them run at least 600# springs.

Weston does NOT make a winch platform grill guard/bar.
Warn does so check into that if this is what you really want.
A custom tube style winch bumper is a much better way to go, however. Most aftermarket production bumpers and grill guards do not work well with body lifts but a custom one will.

Check with SteveO for a very nice winch mount that tucks behind the OE bumper. It is actually easier to make this type of mount work with a body lift.
But, even with the lighter setup that he has his 882s are starting to really sag.

#6 ·
Portman said:
Skip the OME front suspension and skip the the Westin Safari bar &
OME- You'll need heavier duty spring rates
Westin - It will drastically reduce approach angle

Get ready to start saving up. lol.

I was running a 2.5 spacer lift w/ rancho 5000s & shackle/AAL in rear-
This suited my needs and allowed me to wheel & clear 32" BFG MTs.
......until I got an ARB Bullbar.......dropped my front end about 3/4"

i considered going w/ OME's but figured that they would eventually sag
SO I opted for adj. coilovers ....

ARB Bullbar (scratch & dent)= $500
King Coilovers (used) = $600
Warn M800 = $530 shipped w/ accessories
Amsteel Blue synth, AL fairlead, hook = $170-190 (Optional)
Tree Strap = $25
Additional Shackles = $30
Snatch block = $50
Optima Battery = $125

My Bullbar (wedding gift from wife) directly/indirectly triggered the other purchases. BAsically - you gotta pay to play.
If you want to really make your winch useful...you need all of the other items
like additional shackles, tree straps, snatch blocks.......

get an 8000lb winch

Here are some pics of another custom winch mount (more feasible WITH body lift) WARNING ...Sorry for the large pics

#7 ·
grillmasterp said:
Skip the OME front suspension and skip the the Westin Safari bar &
OME- You'll need heavier duty spring rates
Westin - It will drastically reduce approach angle

Get ready to start saving up. lol.

I was running a 2.5 spacer lift w/ rancho 5000s & shackle/AAL in rear-
This suited my needs and allowed me to wheel & clear 32" BFG MTs.
......until I got an ARB Bullbar.......dropped my front end about 3/4"

i considered going w/ OME's but figured that they would eventually sag
SO I opted for adj. coilovers ....

ARB Bullbar (scratch & dent)= $500
King Coilovers (used) = $600
Warn M800 = $530 shipped w/ accessories
Amsteel Blue synth, AL fairlead, hook = $170-190 (Optional)
Tree Strap = $25
Additional Shackles = $30
Snatch block = $50
Optima Battery = $125

My Bullbar (wedding gift from wife) directly/indirectly triggered the other purchases. BAsically - you gotta pay to play.
If you want to really make your winch useful...you need all of the other items
like additional shackles, tree straps, snatch blocks.......

get an 8000lb winch

Here are some pics of another custom winch mount (more feasible WITH body lift) WARNING ...Sorry for the large pics

Where were you when I was trying to find pics to make my set-up? :rolleyes: Mine looks exactly like that and works great but like others have said my OME 882's are sagging from the extra weight of the winch and plate even though I'm running synthetic line. I'd recommend going with the adjustable coilovers to compensate for the weight and stresses on the front end from winching. .....Steve

#8 ·
SteveO said:
Where were you when I was trying to find pics to make my set-up? :rolleyes: Mine looks exactly like that and works great but like others have said my OME 882's are sagging from the extra weight of the winch and plate even though I'm running synthetic line. I'd recommend going with the adjustable coilovers to compensate for the weight and stresses on the front end from winching. .....Steve
I have posted these pics back at the old forum....
I also do recall posting in one of the threads you started

The pics of of another TX members setup- He has a BL- wich gives more room to play with

#9 ·
that's a nice setup! Is that 3/8" plate for the mount? do you have any detail pics of the structure?

you guys who have this type of winch behind the OE bumpers need to get writeups done and posted in the FAQ section ;)

#10 ·
grillmasterp said:
I have posted these pics back at the old forum....
I also do recall posting in one of the threads you started

The pics of of another TX members setup- He has a BL- wich gives more room to play with
Are those of Phill's truck? I remember somone mentioning his set-up but those pics weren't around. I ended up building my own design but it's identical to the one you just posted. Great minds think alike I guess.

Mine's 3/8 plate but has a piece of 3" angle to give it a bit of twist resistance and hold the fairlead. I also tapped the back of the plate to attach my skid plate. Works good anyways and looks nice and clean inside the bumper.

#11 ·
Wish I lived around you guys. I guess that custom plate/winch mount is what I really need. Nice work. I don;t ever think I will get an after market bumper as I can;t justify the use for one based on my needs and use. I really like the idea of having the security of knowing you have a winch to pull you out of anything . . . . so it looks liek I should eventually go with that setup. That would be great if you guys did a write up about it. That or maybe I could pay for someone (meaning you guys) to fabricate one for me!?!?!? Just a thought. Anyway, thanks for all the info, Oh, the other thing is . . . if I am putting say a 2" body lift on then why would sagging be an issue other than having a heavy rake look? WOuld still be able to clear 32's . . . right? Just curious. Thanks again.

#13 ·
Mike said:
The M8000 is about the minimum for a Tacoma.

Later,
....Mike
Good advice, and depending on how bad you stick yourself, that might be too small. When you have spooled the entire cable out on a snatch block and worked up a sweat with a shovel and pick, you WILL understand.

And if you don't know why Lead connectors are a bad idea for winch power cables, you haven't really winched :D When the amp draw gets serious, watch what happens... :eek:

Most everyone else is discussing how to reinforce the front of the Tacoma frame to handle serious winch loads. That should give you an idea about where your concern should be directed.

#14 ·
Portman said:
Wish I lived around you guys. I guess that custom plate/winch mount is what I really need. Nice work. I don;t ever think I will get an after market bumper as I can;t justify the use for one based on my needs and use. I really like the idea of having the security of knowing you have a winch to pull you out of anything . . . . so it looks liek I should eventually go with that setup. That would be great if you guys did a write up about it. That or maybe I could pay for someone (meaning you guys) to fabricate one for me!?!?!? Just a thought. Anyway, thanks for all the info, Oh, the other thing is . . . if I am putting say a 2" body lift on then why would sagging be an issue other than having a heavy rake look? WOuld still be able to clear 32's . . . right? Just curious. Thanks again.
eventually the coils/shocks will fail if they are not beefy enough for the extra weight. My OME lasted about 6 mos with the winch/bumper. A friend's lasted less than 2.

#15 ·
platform389 said:
Good advice, and depending on how bad you stick yourself, that might be too small. When you have spooled the entire cable out on a snatch block and worked up a sweat with a shovel and pick, you WILL understand.

And if you don't know why Lead connectors are a bad idea for winch power cables, you haven't really winched :D When the amp draw gets serious, watch what happens... :eek:

Most everyone else is discussing how to reinforce the front of the Tacoma frame to handle serious winch loads. That should give you an idea about where your concern should be directed.
I keep a snatch block in my tool box, I have yet to use it to recover myself. When I feel the winch getting stressed I let off and find a better way.

The front of my frame is hopefully strong enough, after the axle swap there are a couple burly crossmembers up there.

Later,
....Mike

#16 ·
Mike said:
I keep a snatch block in my tool box, I have yet to use it to recover myself.
But you might need it to recover someone else.
Our group came across another rig that flopped on its side.
He was half way up a steep climb on a narrow trail- Before we could pull him up,
We set up the snatch block off to the side of the rig in order to get him right side up.

#17 ·
grillmasterp said:
But you might need it to recover someone else.
Our group came across another rig that flopped on its side.
He was half way up a steep climb on a narrow trail- Before we could pull him up,
We set up the snatch block off to the side of the rig in order to get him right side up.
Pics!

Here's my favorite recovery vid. Dick Foster and I pulled this rig back up onto the trail.

http://www.norcalttora.com/albums/album85/aab.wmv

Later,
....Mike

#18 ·
#19 ·
warn trans4mer winch for 98 taco

I recently installed a Warn Trans4mer winch on my 98 v-6 extended cab Tacoma. I installed it because of the weight issue of the ARB bumper/winch combo. Will I also have to beef up with new coilovers, or will my setup with a Warn M8000 winch be sufficient as is. Thank You, Love the Taco

#20 ·
rahlinks said:
I recently installed a Warn Trans4mer winch on my 98 v-6 extended cab Tacoma. I installed it because of the weight issue of the ARB bumper/winch combo. Will I also have to beef up with new coilovers, or will my setup with a Warn M8000 winch be sufficient as is. Thank You, Love the Taco
do you need any lift to clear larger tires? are you constantly bottoming out your front suspension? If yes to either of those then you'll need to upgrade.
the OE front bumper weighs like 10#, LOL so even just adding a winch will make a huge difference. you can swap out the cable and rollers with Amsteel rope/aluminum fairlead and save a bout 40#.

#22 ·
rahlinks said:
Hytenor, i really appreciate your feedback,
I have no problems running with the stock bumper and 31 inch tires. Will I be able to get by with the trans4mer and the M8000 on the stock suspension. Thank You for the info.
I wouldn't try it. the coils won't last long and you'll drop the front end down.
to give yourself an idea of what front lift you'll lose have someone who weighs about 160# sit on your front end...measure before and after.

the biggest problem, imo, will be the constant bottoming out of the front suspension. I got tired of having to crawl down bumpy roads with the OME coils and all the weight I have up front...the coils and shocks eventually failed.

but...I have seen several Tacos with exactly what you propose and they seem to survive.
worst case...you add the winch and see how it goes...replace the front sus if/when it dies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.