TTORA Forum banner

best aftermarket manual locking hubs?

  • aisin/asco

    Votes: 40 69.0%
  • warn

    Votes: 16 27.6%
  • superwinch

    Votes: 2 3.4%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need new ones and im just wondering what you guys are running and what you think about them, ive only talked to a few folks about this, most people said aisin/asco are the best, some said superwinch, and only one person said warn, what do you guys/gals think?

turner
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
TURNER said:
i need new ones and im just wondering what you guys are running and what you think about them, ive only talked to a few folks about this, most people said aisin/asco are the best, some said superwinch, and only one person said warn, what do you guys/gals think?

turner
I have factory AISIN hubs on my 2000 taco. And Ive seen a 4x4 mag's editor's opinion "Toyota's bombproof AISIN hubs". Its true though how many old '80's Toyota 4x4's do you see running the original hubs? A lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
I have factory AISIN hubs on my 2000 taco. And Ive seen a 4x4 mag's editor's opinion "Toyota's bombproof AISIN hubs". Its true though how many old '80's Toyota 4x4's do you see running the original hubs? A lot.
EXACTLY what i was going to say.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
shadymilkman said:
i was thinking of getting some used ones and putting them on my tacoma will the ones from the older trucks work?
maybe. BUMP for answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
are you converting from add? I know for a fact (owning both) that solid axle and pretaco hubs are diffirent, as for pretaco and taco hubs im not sure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
PreTacoma84 said:
are you converting from add? I know for a fact (owning both) that solid axle and pretaco hubs are diffirent, as for pretaco and taco hubs im not sure.
pre-taco IFS used AISIN hubs though, same stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Ive had zero problems with warn hubs!
 

·
Deal Master
Joined
·
2,775 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
pre-taco IFS used AISIN hubs though, same stuff

The Taco & Pre-Tacoma Aisin hubs are different

The Outer dials are interchangeable-
But I believe the spline count for the inner hubs may be different , and the hub bodies may be different depths.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,146 Posts
they really need to bring down the price of the manual hub conversion kits. 700-900 is ridiculous. I would pay 200-300 though, haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well heres a "do you think its worthit" question for you guys, i found a set of aisin hubs, from the dealer :mad: , they are $301.29 for both sides, i can get warns for $130 and superwinch for right around $100, is it worth paying over double the warns and around 3x more than superwinch?

turner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
I have factory AISIN hubs on my 2000 taco. And Ive seen a 4x4 mag's editor's opinion "Toyota's bombproof AISIN hubs". Its true though how many old '80's Toyota 4x4's do you see running the original hubs? A lot.
I'm still running my original hubs on my 1980 toyota 4x4 with zero problems, same with my 98 i don't have any problems with those either
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GOT COPE? said:
Ouch! Junkyard maybe?
you know ive thought about the junkyard, but i dont really wanna put used hubs on my shit, its a DD, so they get locked/unlocked a lot and plus ive been tryin to find these aisin hubs FOREVER and i dont wanna get used ones and then be back in the same situation im in now, TBH honest, its not about the actual $$ amount, i just wanna know thats its worthit to invest in the aisins if im gonna drop that kinda $$

turner
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
Well, I wish I could help ya decide. Mine came on my truck. Made it easy on me. I didnt know thwy were that expensive aftermarket though. Sheesh. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
TURNER said:
you know ive thought about the junkyard, but i dont really wanna put used hubs on my shit, its a DD, so they get locked/unlocked a lot and plus ive been tryin to find these aisin hubs FOREVER and i dont wanna get used ones and then be back in the same situation im in now, TBH honest, its not about the actual $$ amount, i just wanna know thats its worthit to invest in the aisins if im gonna drop that kinda $$

turner
You might want to get junkyard hubs and then rebuild them. That's what I did. It's very easy to rebuild the aisin hubs. All you need are a good set of snap ring pliers, some part cleaner/degreaser, grease, and time...

There is a good writeup on the web at http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/aisin/

I read that before rebuilding mine and it was a piece of cake. They work as good as new now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats the best idea ive heard yet, where did you get the rebuild kits?

turner
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top