TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of the earler models of Tacomas camer wiiht the popup sunroofs, has anyone hade and aftermarket one put in and is this even possible?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
Konarider11689 said:
I know some of the earler models of Tacomas camer wiiht the popup sunroofs, has anyone hade and aftermarket one put in and is this even possible?
It's not that hard.

Mike put one in his '98 Tacoma, same model sunroof that I did in my '89 4runner....just slightly different size opening...

I replaced mine on the 4runner. When I got the 4runner; it had a red-pink sunroof that was siliconed shut, and I replaced it with something that WORKED; although slightly larger.

Easy install, as long as you can work a jigsaw/sawzall/dremel and remove your headliner. Measure twice, cut once. I have some more pics, but these are what I started and ended with...

Mike had no sunroof, with the same end results, basically...

First two pics are what I HAD, the third pic is both sunroofs side by side. The last two pics are finish install on the 4runner.









 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
Andy where did you get the sunroof? and does it have a sun cover?

Angry Andy said:
It's not that hard.

Mike put one in his '98 Tacoma, same model sunroof that I did in my '89 4runner....just slightly different size opening...

I replaced mine on the 4runner. When I got the 4runner; it had a red-pink sunroof that was siliconed shut, and I replaced it with something that WORKED; although slightly larger.

Easy install, as long as you can work a jigsaw/sawzall/dremel and remove your headliner. Measure twice, cut once. I have some more pics, but these are what I started and ended with...

Mike had no sunroof, with the same end results, basically...

First two pics are what I HAD, the third pic is both sunroofs side by side. The last two pics are finish install on the 4runner.









 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
I installed a few of these at the body shop i worked at. At least similar. I installed two different kits one was a retarded cut hole in your roof glue it in model. Guy brought it in we sent him away to get a proper kit he came back with same one told us to install and he said he didnt care if it leaked. Sure enough after the body flexed a bit it leaked and we laughed. See him driving arround town looks like he silicon'd it up with house silicon to make it stop leaking. NICE
Then installed one that came with a bracket system that actually installed very very nice. Came with a template for the roof of the car you drop template on trace out the spot. Cut the hole drill some holes for little bolts. Cut the hole in your head liner Load up the top with silicon place it on the roof then put spacer and head liner back in vehicle mount bottom half and bolt so it clamps the roof and head liner together. Silicon some more wipe the joint clean add the supplied trim and stick on the pop up glass and it was good to go. Not sure if it leaked quit day after I did install but it installed nice.
Unless its very important that you can pop your roof up i would say dont bother. One of those things you think will be sweet until you have it and never use it. Plus a lot of hassel if shit hits the fan but just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
I'm looking at getting the Electric Spoiler Sunroof for my 03 DC at americansunroof.com if your in the SoCal Area. The prices our right and all I have talked too say they do a great job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/

Its the 'newport' model.

What you saw is what I got...I dont remember the size of it though. Its one of the smaller sizes for sure...I would have to measure it to be sure, I Think it was 1732 (thats 17" x 32")...again, not sure. I had to buy something larger then what was installed originally, since I was replacing a fawked unit that was exisiting.

Price was around $160.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
I'm looking at getting the Electric Spoiler Sunroof for my 03 DC at americansunroof.com if your in the SoCal Area. The prices our right and all I have talked too say they do a great job.
How much did they quote you and for which model?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
$849 installed with Miitary discount. Also includes 3 yr/ 36K mile warrenty. Thats for the Electric Spoiler Sunroof. Had one on my 99 Dodge Dakota and loved it
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top