TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to buy an 08 4 door 4x4 long bed.Moving from a 12 mpg 10 yr old dodge ram.Time for a change and I don't need that much capacity.However once or twice a year it could come in handy.Pro's and Con's of bags vs shocks please. Thanks GTS Bruce

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am doing both.
Needs bags if you tow and needs shocks....period.
I have an 07' 4dr 6' bed SR5 not the trd since I wanted traction controls etc.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Air bags will support more than shocks.
Shocks don't support shit, they dampen axle movement, period. I liked my bags, but they limited droop with my Dakars. I may install a set of firestones. AH64 seems to be getting respectable droop with his installed. Stock springs don't handle much load at all.:2cents:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just get Timbren rubber springs. No airlines and higher load capacity, and they work as jounce shocks too.
I assume you mean the timbren is higher than OEM, but its worded to sound like airbags.

I have the Firestone airbags, and really like them. I looked at timbren, but wanted the ability to carry my load at a level attitude. There are many reasons for a level attitude, but the bigs ones are headlights, front braking, steering, and ground clearance. So then I started looking at the two bag mfgs our there, Firestone and air rite. More people have run the air rite's, but they don't appeal to me. They mount aft of the axle so all of the leveling capacity is put onto the springs, essentially making them S shaped. The Firestone kit is HD, its a mini version of the kits on 3/4 and 1 tons. Sure its WAY overkill for a taco, but it centers the weight over the axle, I like that. Now I can keep my truck level with all my camping gear and my trailer hooked up. And on a stock rear suspension the travel is not affected, I am still compressing all the way and drooping until the shock limits. So I have a leveling capability and no effect on wheeling. They were fairly easy to install, and a small bike pump is plenty to fill them as there is no volume to them.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Hey John, looks like those bags are doing a good job for you. Any problems using them in place of a bumpstop? I am assuming they have a minimum inflation pressure to avoid damaging the bags at full compression.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hey John, looks like those bags are doing a good job for you. Any problems using them in place of a bumpstop? I am assuming they have a minimum inflation pressure to avoid damaging the bags at full compression.
I am supposed to keep 5psi in them. The volume is so small that I set them at 5 on a cold day, and in the heat they were up to 12 :D, I was wondering why I all of a sudden had a drive line vib at 20mph, took the air back to 5psi and bingo. I dont think they will have any problems acting as the bumpstop with 5psi + in them, thou I not sure when the bypass hose is hooked up what will happen, they will still be at 5psi, just no volume???

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I am supposed to keep 5psi in them. The volume is so small that I set them at 5 on a cold day, and in the heat they were up to 12 :D, I was wondering why I all of a sudden had a drive line vib at 20mph, took the air back to 5psi and bingo. I dont think they will have any problems acting as the bumpstop with 5psi + in them, thou I not sure when the bypass hose is hooked up what will happen, they will still be at 5psi, just no volume???
Bud, that is one of the reasons why I brought that up when you were doing the bags. If you run a bypass hose from bag to bag, the compressed bag will transfer air to the extended bag and you won't have the safety net of having air in the compressed bag. Something to chew on.:2cents:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Bud, that is one of the reasons why I brought that up when you were doing the bags. If you run a bypass hose from bag to bag, the compressed bag will transfer air to the extended bag and you won't have the safety net of having air in the compressed bag. Something to chew on.:2cents:
I realize that, but the thing that makes me think its okay is one of the install diagrams is just for one air chuck, so they are always connected... thou that may not be the best on a wheeler :D Still undecided. I will probably see how they do the first trip out wheeling. As you saw at 5-10psi they compress just fine, and really why would I even be trying to stuff them with more than that. I get to the campsite, unload, empty the bags, then go wheel :D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sounds about right, unload then wheel. IMO it's probably best to keep the bags on seperate lines anyway. That way you can adjust for heavier loads on either side of the bed. Just a thought. One line, one valve does simplify things, but it may not be worth it to give up adjustability from side to side. Now what would be really cool, would be to have your OBA hooked up to two different lines with a solenoid that could switch back and forth. That way you could adjust the bags to preload the droop side and let air out of the compressed side to keep you from flopping the truck shiny side down when you get all crossed up.:) UH OH....got you thinking about that one now, time to :saw: :welder:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Sounds about right, unload then wheel. IMO it's probably best to keep the bags on seperate lines anyway. That way you can adjust for heavier loads on either side of the bed. Just a thought. One line, one valve does simplify things, but it may not be worth it to give up adjustability from side to side. Now what would be really cool, would be to have your OBA hooked up to two different lines with a solenoid that could switch back and forth. That way you could adjust the bags to preload the droop side and let air out of the compressed side to keep you from flopping the truck shiny side down when you get all crossed up.:) UH OH....got you thinking about that one now, time to :saw: :welder:
Knobs and switches and a 4wd :D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've also been pondering installing air bags. i was close o pulling the trigger on a set of Air Lifts, but for the same reason you stated, I didn't purchase them.

How much of a price difference between the Firestone and Air Lift?

Where did you install your air chucks?

EDIT: Do you have a part number for the kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I've also been pondering installing air bags. i was close o pulling the trigger on a set of Air Lifts, but for the same reason you stated, I didn't purchase them.

How much of a price difference between the Firestone and Air Lift?

Where did you install your air chucks?

EDIT: Do you have a part number for the kit?

Thanks
The cheapest I found the firestones was 241 shipped from summit, but it looks like they are on backorder right not. I found prices as high as 375, and the next closest was 260, IIRC. Its part number 2407. The firestone kits is a little more money, but very worth it. I put the chucks here

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
John, great minds think alike. That's exactly where I put my valves.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts