TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have airbags in the back of these?

I leveled my truck with 1.75" lift and now need something to help keep it level when camping/towing.

I am torn between airbags and a custom AAL. The airbags are nice becuase they can be tailored to the load I have. And dont need to raise the rear anymore. I like the leveled look. But they will limit some travel. AAL's are nice becasuse they dont limit travel, but will make the ride a little stiffer and raise the rear a little as well.

So I want to see airbags installed, and know how much travel you loose. With the rear locker I can afford to loose a little travel.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ah64id said:

I leveled my truck with 1.75" lift and now need something to help keep it level when camping/towing.

I am torn between airbags and a custom AAL. The airbags are nice becuase they can be tailored to the load I have. And dont need to raise the rear anymore. I like the leveled look. But they will limit some travel. AAL's are nice becasuse they dont limit travel, but will make the ride a little stiffer and raise the rear a little as well.

So I want to see airbags installed, and know how much travel you loose. With the rear locker I can afford to loose a little travel.
I had he firestone air bags on my first lift. I liked having soft springs for the nice ride and when I hauled a load I would simply add air to the bags.

The cool part is that they are so easy to remove for times when I wanted all the travel I could get.

One you mount the upper bracket on the frame, it is easy to remove the bags while leaving the bracket on the frame. It would take no more than 5 min to remove them.

The bags are long gone now and I have since welded a plate over the spot where I drilled the frame for the air bag mount. You may have read about the “weak spot” on the Tacoma frames and the way some folks have experienced cracking in a certain spot of the frame. Well, as it tunes out the weak spot is right where I drilled my frame for the bag mounts. Yah, maybe I could have simply welded a bead around the bag mount in order to beef up the frame.

I say the bags are long gone now as I have found a spring that does it all for me.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/dirtyiol/framebrace.jpg

·
Registered
397 Posts
ah64id

i was wanting to do the same thing. what i was wanting to do is build a custum bag set up so i can still have most wheel travel and still prevent a torn bag. get a set of airbag axle cup type brackets for the bottom side of the bags at a low rider place. rather than bolting them on the leafs like the kits sell build your own kit and buy the bags seperatly. the firestone bags are around $65ea. place the brackets about a foot or so in toward the diff and weld the brackets to the axle. then you'll have to build some sort of load bearing beam above the diff and between the frame rails. i haven't really had the time to take measurments and all that but the idea definatly has potential. you'll have to build a custum set up any way to compensate for the lift kit so you might as well tailor it to be as efficiant as you'd like it. :2cents:

·
Registered
397 Posts
i hear ya. this is way at the bottom of the list for me.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have a set of air bags that are coming off my truck. I am putting the Dakars on, so these will be available. I bought them from Wheelers, they are bolt on, no drilling required. They are the long tube type bag, so they flex nice.PM me for a great deal.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If i had just leveled my truck like you did this is absolutely the way I would go. I am not too impressed with my alcan AAL so far. I really hope it breaks in some and looses some height and stiffness.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Man, whatever happened to the good old air shock?

I had a set about twenty years ago and it worked pretty good. They weren't "Highjackers", but Monroe shocks with air bags built in.

I ran around with maybe ten PSI in those shocks and the ride was good.

When I loaded down, all it took was a shot of air and the ride leveled out.

It wasn't the best thing in the world, but it worked and it wasn't expensive.

They seem to have gone away. I wonder why?

·
Registered
397 Posts
a guy i work with was telling me that rough country had some. i tried to find a set but couldn't find any for an 05 taco. i guess as long as i new the length i could always make the brackets.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had the deaver 10 pack when I first lifted the truck, and it road great and was level front and rear. I built my rack and it still road great. When my bro and I built the bumper with a spare tire carrier the springs just weren't enough, especially when I loaded up for camping. I didn't want the loss of travel or ride with airbags, so I had National Spring custom build my leaf springs to not only accomodate the weight I added with the bumper and rack, but they added load springs to help when the truck was loaded down. With this setup, the truck rides great all the time, loaded or not and I don't have to mess with airbags. From the sounds of things you probably like to wheel the truck with and without gear, and I just can't see airbags being a good solution. You don't have to buy leaf springs off the shelf, you can have a shop custom do springs that accomodate your needs. Just a recommendation, and good luck.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Fast Frank: your showing your age. I remember running Monroe air shocks in the rear of my 1968 Chevelle hot rod :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
i had the same problem with the deaver 10 leaf pack. instead of getting deaver to rebuild them for me to accomidate my periodic loads that I had to pull. which includes a 12x6 enclosed utility trailer and a fourwheeler on occasions. I got my local spring company to measure the spring rate and add one more leaf which, (which is approximately 50 thousandths thicker than the deavers, but it worked excellent. I much rather this than the air bags. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing that is keeping me from taking the leafs off and getting a custom AAL is the fact that I dont want the truck to sit any higher right now. I like the ride and the ride height, but I will sag too low when camping...

I am going from my fairly well built 92 to the 07, so I am loosing a ton of performance in wheel travel and wheelability, so I am not sure I would miss an inch or two of travel, asuming thats all it is, which is why I would like to see some photos.. I will try the guys at CT as well...

Thanks for all the input. I had a custom set of Alcans in my 92 for a while, they were on my 95 runner before that and were made for that. They were great, but I just dont need a $$ setup back there... which is why I am thinking AAL or airbags..

·
Registered
44 Posts
ah64id said:

I installed the Airlifts 2 years ago and they have worked great. Level any load and when done adjust to stock height and ride charteristics.
I use them for leveling out when towing my 2 boats.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Major Woods said:
I installed the Airlifts 2 years ago and they have worked great. Level any load and when done adjust to stock height and ride charteristics.
I use them for leveling out when towing my 2 boats.
Very nice, thanks...

Do you have any flex pics? Or do you have a guess as to how much flex you lost?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I didn't lose any droop with mine installed. The bags stretch like crazy. I ramped the truck, before and after, no difference.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mojavegold said:
I didn't lose any droop with mine installed. The bags stretch like crazy. I ramped the truck, before and after, no difference.
SWEET... gonna have to order a set of firestones.

I was going to guess I wouldnt loose much as there is only 9" between the top of the leafs and the frame.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did not loose anything noticable at all with the bags installed. The install went real well not hard at all, just took a couple of hours to do.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I think they work very well for the intended purpose and they ride great. I'm done with my remodel, so I don't need the extra bed capacity any more. Would I recommend them for a hard core rock crawler, no. They are what they are and they aint what they aint :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
MG?

If you are doing away with your bags....how is the rear of your truck lifted?

I was wanting to put 886's on the front of my truck....and after readin this.....baggin the back, cause I haul a lot.

Will the bags do well under normal conditions for just leveling my truck?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts