TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out at barstow and was hitting some pretty decent whoops and such. and i was wondering if putting air bumps on my mid-travel set up would soften out the uptravel, or would i be wasting my money and i should go for eurethane bumps?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
usaf_taco said:
i was out at barstow and was hitting some pretty decent whoops and such. and i was wondering if putting air bumps on my mid-travel set up would soften out the uptravel, or would i be wasting my money and i should go for eurethane bumps?
air bumps are a lot better than the usual eurethane or rubber.
they ain't cheap though...average $150-$200 ea. from what I've seen.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i can find them used on race-dezert for 200-300 a pair.so you think it wouldn't be dumb to put air bumps on a non-long travel truck?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Wouldn't be dumb at all if u get a good deal, that's what the whole light-racing chubbies are all about for new tacos. Especially in the back. Just make sure u get or make em a short stroke bump for front. I've always thought stock rubber bumps are better than urethane on front IFS cause they're softer

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
usaf_taco said:
but i can find them used on race-dezert for 200-300 a pair.so you think it wouldn't be dumb to put air bumps on a non-long travel truck?
does that include the cans? good price but awesome price if the cans are included.

why not put them on with OE suspension? If you jump your truck they will help quite a bit, IMO.
the question is where to mount them...

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Happysmiley said:
Wouldn't be dumb at all if u get a good deal, that's what the whole light-racing chubbies are all about for new tacos. Especially in the back. Just make sure u get or make em a short stroke bump for front. I've always thought stock rubber bumps are better than urethane on front IFS cause they're softer
OE bumps are fine...its the nuts that are welded inside the LCAs that don't hold up...I wound up welding mine on, LOL

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
usaf_taco said:
Ouch man! haha i know the feeling of bottoming out hard on those gnarly whoops out in Barstow. :eek: .....x2 on Chubbys Bumps

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can buy the radflo 2" stroke bumps for $144 each. As for mounting them, cut off your old striker pad and weld in the cans and plate it. You will need to cycle the front end to gain the maximum effectiveness.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
why would i want to shorten the travel of the air bumps on the front?and here is a way to mount the front ones

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well you wouldn't want a 4" stoke air bump in the front, you'd be sitting on em at ride height and your suspension would be way too stiff. You want the bumps set up for he last lil' bit of compression to progressively slow things down at full bump. Most bumps are available in 2.5" and 2" strokes as well as the size (2.5"/2.0" body diameter) or vendors can usually shorten stroke for you. You would need a gusseted strike area on the arm like in the pic so you don't fold/bend your arm.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
usaf_taco said:
why would i want to shorten the travel of the air bumps on the front?and here is a way to mount the front ones
that looks good. I wonder, however, if having them hit only on the front section of the LCA would eventually cause problems...thoughts?

I can see why a 2" might be a better bet and you can always 'adjust' the thing by adjusting the psi until you get the dampening you want.

·
Registered
106 Posts
From the pic posted, i'm pretty sure he's on the bumps at ride height maybe .5" of clearance at most. As for it wearing down the lowers, I would say yes, but it will take a lot of beating for a long time. I have a pretty close set-up and I can tell you that the ride is smooth and you can definitely feel the bumps working even on small speed bumps lol, but when it comes to the bigger stuff the luxury offered is definitely noticable.

*edit: Here is a bump set-up on the stock lower arms of a Nissan Titan. As you can tell it's quite sturdy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78aA52JiS4

·
Registered
484 Posts
It looks like he's not even using the bottom 1" or so of his bumps :\

If you're going to go with 4" bumps on stock lower arms you're either going to have to crank your ride height to stay off the bumps or replace the scrub pads much more often from being in near constant contact. None of the air bumps out there COMPLETELY eliminate scrub, although the Jounce/Chubbies come real close.

The 2" Kings/Radflos/Chubbies/Jounce would be the way to go so you're not riding on them all the time.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Or just shorten the length to 2-3" of stroke :dunno: everyone on here is thinking if you don't have air bumps your truck's going to fall apart, or maybe it's just me...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tweeter said:
Or just shorten the length to 2-3" of stroke :dunno: everyone on here is thinking if you don't have air bumps your truck's going to fall apart, or maybe it's just me...
haha i rock the stock bumps in the front and rear. They do fine lol....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why not set it up like the one above and take the bumps out for everyday driving? So you wont were them down as fast or have to rebuild as much.

And then you will have the bump when you need it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I for one am for the Chubby's. They include this beefy and thick contact dome to reduce stress on the LCA. I finally got to test them out last week on my way to Mammoth and they definitely reduce the harsh bottoming.

·
Registered
106 Posts
TimF said:
Bahaha that's my buddy matt's Titan!!! He is good friends with the shock satan so he helps him with the valving.

Haha yeah, I know him as Kartman lol. Anyhow were both familiar/dealt with Greg ahem... I meant the Shock Satan. I guess you can guess what I drive brand wise. ;) Oh, no! The secrets out! Please don't ban me! hahaha.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Baja_Jay said:
Haha yeah, I know him as Kartman lol. Anyhow were both familiar/dealt with Greg ahem... I meant the Shock Satan. I guess you can guess what I drive brand wise. ;) Oh, no! The secrets out! Please don't ban me! hahaha.
Banning commencing in 3...2...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts