TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air Compressor or Aux Tank?

I did some searching and found a few threads about onboard air. I dont need to do OBA, but I'd like something portable. I saw the thread on the QuickAir2 on the cheap, and might have to go see if Pepboys/Autozone has one of those compressors still. My other option would be to get an aux tank to fill up and take with. I have a 5 gallon compressor at home for nailing, etc. and I noticed home depot had a portable 11 gallon tank for $35. I'm just wondering if that would have enough capacity to inflate 32" tires from "aired" down PSI to 34psi or so for regular driving... opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
The simple answer is no, the portable tank will not fill your tires up. There are several options for the cheaper air like you mentioned. Not the fastest, but for the price, they're hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Nope, that tank isn't big enough. If you have the bed 110 outlet, you can run the pancake compressor with it. A nitrogen bottle is big enough and can also help you out with higher PSI to pop the tires back on the bead when you screw up.:2cents:

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I'd check the current consumption of the compressor very carefully against the power avaliable from the outlet first.
Also be sure that the motor you use is a universal i.e. brush type motor like those used in most AC power tools like drills, routers etc.

Induction motors (fans, pool pumps, true shop compressors, etc) will not function with an inverter output unless it's a true sign wave type. TRUE sine wave type inverters are expensive so there aren't many out there. Induction motors tend to go up in smoke if used with most of the power inverters out there.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'd check the current consumption of the compressor very carefully against the power avaliable from the outlet first.
Also be sure that the motor you use is a universal i.e. brush type motor like those used in most AC power tools like drills, routers etc.

Induction motors (fans, pool pumps, true shop compressors, etc) will not function with an inverter output unless it's a true sign wave type. TRUE sine wave type inverters are expensive so there aren't many out there. Induction motors tend to go up in smoke if used with most of the power inverters out there.
Interesting info. I'll have to ask my bud what type of motor is in his pancake compressor. He doesn't seem to have an issue running it on his 06 inverter. But then again, he may be an inch away from smoking something. I popped my breaker trying to run a heat gun(too many watts), but my small tire compressor works fine on it, but does not have a tank, so it's worthless to try and pop a tire back on the bead. Good info.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Most of em use a universal brush type motor. They are called universal because they will run off of AC or DC current. Almost any portable device will use a universal motor because they make power by running at high revs like a router or something that turns at speeds up too about 20,000 RPM. Common induction motors only run at 1800 or 3600 RPM.
You can also control the speed of universal motors with simple triac type controls such as used in common incandescent light dimmers. Just be sure that the power/current limit of the dimmer is not exceeded. I have one for my router so I can slow it down to cut some thermoplastics without melting it and winding up with a gooey mess. However, as the speed goes down, the torque drops off very quickly.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Watch the duty cycle on that one.
Also when you get it, check that the head screws are tight. I got two of em and both of em had loose head screws so they didn't work very well as both leaked a lot. Get an allen wrench and make sure all the screws are tight like they should be and it works much better.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thanks Dick. Good info. I was looking at that unit myself, so this is helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts