TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have done the deckplace mod to my airbox, i want to put a better filter than stock. what would you guys recomend? K&N or something else.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jrizman said:
AMZOIL!!! its the only way to fly!
will it give me better hp and more gas milage?

·
Registered
741 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
i have done the deckplace mod to my airbox, i want to put a better filter than stock. what would you guys recomend? K&N or something else.
http://www.amsoil.com/products/ts.html

2004 TOYOTA TACOMA 3.4L 6-cyl VIN Code 5VZ-FE

FILTERS
Oil Filter......SDF57
Oil Vapor Filter......N/R
Air Filter......TS115
Fuel Filter......GF219
Fuel Vapor Filter......N/R
Trans......TF171

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
has anyone herd of the tornado fuel saver? i have seen commericals on tv for it, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
how do you like the deckplate mod, i have been thinkin about it. I already have a k&n and i like it. truck idles at lower rpm and switched from about 2800 to 2500 rpm on hwy. reading this board though everyone brags on amsoil, so its definately worth a look.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
NorCalTRD said:

There is no better "Filter" than stock Toyota. The aftermarkets cannot compare. You can drop a K&N, amsoil or a TRD in there and get more flow but you will also get more crap past into the intake until the filter is filthy enough to have good filtration but then again how are you to know how long the filth will remain a good filter before it gets to the breakthrough point. with an open deckplate even more dirt is available for ingestion by your air hungry powersource.
You will also have to be meticulous about not over oiling and keeping the MAF sensor clean.
Better yet you can seal that deckplate up run the OEM and keep your engine happier in the long run. Why add more maintenance to the truck for such a quastionable amount of performance?

If you want safe performance replace the headers and exhaust. If you want to live on the edge get a supercharger. If you can't afford either or are unwilling to spend the money keep that dependable drivetrain stock until you can do it right.

Just my callous opinion. If you want a cheap mod fun mod try to figure out how to get sand off the top of your fuel tankwithout using water. :D

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
has anyone herd of the tornado fuel saver? i have seen commericals on tv for it, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Snake oil, doesn't work on our trucks. save that money from that filter and that tornado and you are on your way to headers. :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Make sure you ask Amsoil about thier Flowzair filter letting dirt by before you order, I found out the hard way that it does, then asked them about it, and they said they already knew about that problem and are redesigning to address the issue, yet continue to sell that filter. Thanks for the warning...

FWIW, this applies to some* of the Taco airboxes, Amsoil claims that slight variances between various model year airboxes are to blame.

*-happy Amsoil cultists?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
Ouch! Don't you love brand loyoalists?
Only when they don't sound like infomercials... I'll have to dig, but I'm pretty sure I still have emails from Amsoil where they admit fault...a year ago...

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Unfortunate about the filter. I have met dealers who are down to earth, but I have also met the all to faithfull. The "technology" they try to sell is becoming quite dated. Most the products are very very good products, but they are no longer leaps and bounds ahead in quality and the marketing methods are a turn off. *putting on my asbestos underware*

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
A good quality Wix air filter, changed regularly, will be cost effective and do it's job.

Wix air filters are not cheaply made or have cheap material. They are an excellent quality reasonably priced product. Why pay more for products that give the same performance? I don't believe in oiled filters for all the reasons listed above. Had one kill a MAF meter -- ouch! Now I believe.

Good luck with your decision. I say spend less money.

Jody.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
mudferret said:
Make sure you ask Amsoil about thier Flowzair filter letting dirt by before you order, I found out the hard way that it does, then asked them about it, and they said they already knew about that problem and are redesigning to address the issue, yet continue to sell that filter. Thanks for the warning...

FWIW, this applies to some* of the Taco airboxes, Amsoil claims that slight variances between various model year airboxes are to blame.

*-happy Amsoil cultists?
i found an older style amsoil filter and its just fine, filters great with no dust whatsoever behind it. ive had a k&n and it let dust thru like crazy. i also used to run the stock paper filters, and while they do a good job, they still would let some dust thru, unlike the amsoil which has none. did i notice any performance increase? nope, but at least im not spending 20 bucks a month/week/every offroading trip

·
Registered
95 Posts
Get a UNI foam filter. It's a 2 stage foam filter just like the amsoil without the issues the new amsoil ones have had. I've spoken to amsoil a few times over the phone now about the new style and they now about the problem but say a redesigned won't be out anytime soon. So I tell my customers just to get the UNI instead. I've been running them for about 2 years now with no problems. You can order them direct from UNI for about $45.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
drabnor said:
i found an older style amsoil filter and its just fine, filters great with no dust whatsoever behind it. ive had a k&n and it let dust thru like crazy. i also used to run the stock paper filters, and while they do a good job, they still would let some dust thru, unlike the amsoil which has none. did i notice any performance increase? nope, but at least im not spending 20 bucks a month/week/every offroading trip
I'd love to find an older style one, the filtering element itself wasn't the problem, it was the new neoprene stuff they had surrounding it that wasn't forming a tight enough seal.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
There is no better "Filter" than stock Toyota. The aftermarkets cannot compare. You can drop a K&N, amsoil or a TRD in there and get more flow but you will also get more crap past into the intake until the filter is filthy enough to have good filtration but then again how are you to know how long the filth will remain a good filter before it gets to the breakthrough point. with an open deckplate even more dirt is available for ingestion by your air hungry powersource.
You will also have to be meticulous about not over oiling and keeping the MAF sensor clean.
Better yet you can seal that deckplate up run the OEM and keep your engine happier in the long run. Why add more maintenance to the truck for such a quastionable amount of performance?

If you want safe performance replace the headers and exhaust. If you want to live on the edge get a supercharger. If you can't afford either or are unwilling to spend the money keep that dependable drivetrain stock until you can do it right.

Just my callous opinion. If you want a cheap mod fun mod try to figure out how to get sand off the top of your fuel tankwithout using water. :D

I agree. Stock paper filters are the best way to go. When they get dirty just throw them out. They are only like 9$. A new filter is a clean filters with the others you just don't know.

Interms of cheap performance...there is no such thing. Force induction is the the only way to increase power.

BTW how doyou get sand off your gas tank without water? Air compressor?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
save your cash for something that will actually do something for your truck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts