TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I recently purchased a brand new TRD Supercharger for the 4Runner and I want to get an AFR gauge installed before putting the charger on. I'm going to test my 02 4Runner at each step of the way to report back my findings to add to the information on this setup.

What AFR gauge should I buy? The XD-16 LC-1 was on my list but the XD-16 is just too large of a gauge. They say it's 52mm, but that's just the mount, the actual bezel is like 60mm and won't fit in my DIN slot.

Is the LC-1 the way to go and find another gauge to use with it or should I be looking at other options?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
you will also probably want to contact URD and get their wide band O2 sensor, or you a/f gauge is going to be bouncing back and forth like mine is.

For my gauge, I just got an after market Faze gauge that matched my boost gauge. The bezel wasn't any bigger than the gauge cage which was an autometer cup. (52mm)but I mounted mine in a different spot than what you are proposing to do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bear said:
you will also probably want to contact URD and get their wide band O2 sensor, or you a/f gauge is going to be bouncing back and forth like mine is.

For my gauge, I just got an after market Faze gauge that matched my boost gauge. The bezel wasn't any bigger than the gauge cage which was an autometer cup. (52mm)but I mounted mine in a different spot than what you are proposing to do.
The LC-1 is a wide band controller with Bosch sensor. Just wondering if that's the way to go for a permanent mount solution.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
sorry, wasn't aware of the model numbers etc.

Mounting options is subjective. Everyone is different on where they want their gauges. Mine are mounted to my roll cage so it was an easy install and they are in my line of sight.

I have seem some nice gauge installs where you said you want to put yours. but I don't know how much customization was involved.

You might want to look up gauge installs, or similar key words.

Here is a quick idea for you, why don't you get some 18 g sheet metal, cut the holes in it for the gauges and just close up the area with it? simple yet effective.

Sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I've got the LC1 + XD1 - the older version of the XD16. I think they're the same size, but I love mine!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SAR_Squid79 said:
I've got the LC1 + XD1 - the older version of the XD16. I think they're the same size, but I love mine!

It's just so huge! Why in the world didn't they make it 2.25" in diameter on the bezel like all other 52mm gauges?

What are the LC-1 benefits? The gauge itself is really just a voltmeter so any gauge should work with it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I just recieved my Autometer Ultra-Lite Wideband (4378) in the mail on Saturday. I got the bung welded in today and will have it hooked up here in the next couple of days. I'm like you, I wanted something to match my boost gauge which is also an Autometer (Ultra-Lite 4301). I contacted Brian at URD and he said that what I was ordering would work just as well as the Innovate (even though it wasn't through URD).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Breathegood said:
I just recieved my Autometer Ultra-Lite Wideband (4378) in the mail on Saturday. I got the bung welded in today and will have it hooked up here in the next couple of days. I'm like you, I wanted something to match my boost gauge which is also an Autometer (Ultra-Lite 4301). I contacted Brian at URD and he said that what I was ordering would work just as well as the Innovate (even though it wasn't through URD).
Cool, thanks for the info. How are you going to mount it?

Any chance you can e-mail me a couple of pics of the unit? I'm curious to see their cable, etc. I'd also like to see it mounted if possible.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
There are many reasonably price wide bands on the market now. I got one from AIM that has a small 2" gauge face and it also has an output suitable for use inplace of a factory O2 sensor should you desire to have that option. The same output can be scaled for use with a data logger as well. It's also a 52 mm gauge. Remember the bezel is always going to be a tad larger than the body of the gauge. http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=67

You can get them from Summit, Jegs and many other sources. Probably at lower price than going direct.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Speedy said:
Cool, thanks for the info. How are you going to mount it?

Any chance you can e-mail me a couple of pics of the unit? I'm curious to see their cable, etc. I'd also like to see it mounted if possible.
I've got a Lo-Tek dual gauge A-pillar mount for it. I've been running around with a boost gauge and an open hole for about five months now. I'll take some pics this evening. The gauge I bought has basically all the same features that Dick mentioned. I took the truck to the local Midas to have the bung welded in. I brought a print of the pic from TRDOLMAN's install and they had me welded up and out the door in about half an hour and $50 lighter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Breathegood said:
I've got a Lo-Tek dual gauge A-pillar mount for it. I've been running around with a boost gauge and an open hole for about five months now. I'll take some pics this evening. The gauge I bought has basically all the same features that Dick mentioned. I took the truck to the local Midas to have the bung welded in. I brought a print of the pic from TRDOLMAN's install and they had me welded up and out the door in about half an hour and $50 lighter.
Did they weld it like so?

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1276990731062561490xsUfJT

I'm going to try to get it done like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Speedy said:
Did they weld it like so?

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1276990731062561490xsUfJT

I'm going to try to get it done like this:
The pic in the link you posted is the one I took to the shop. Mine looks just like that with a different plug over the bung. With the TRD headers, I don't think there's room to put it next to the stock sensor like it is in the other picture.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Breathegood said:
The pic in the link you posted is the one I took to the shop. Mine looks just like that with a different plug over the bung. With the TRD headers, I don't think there's room to put it next to the stock sensor like it is in the other picture.
Ah, cool. I'm gonna do the same. Looking forward to those pics. I've got to do something soon.

·
Registered
836 Posts
E-mail sent

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the AEM Wide Band and it just seems useless to me. The readings jump all over the place and I know my truck is not fluctuating that much. Any ideas? I saw that someone mentioned that URD has a wide band O2 sensor. How does it differ from the Bosch sensor that came with the gauge?

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Actually your truck really is jumping around that much as you call it. The ECU reads a narrow band O2 sensor that pretty much reads either lean or rich so the duty cycle to the injectors is being constantly tweaked up and down. The average closed loop AF ratio is 14.7 if everything is working as it should be. The wide band is really for reading open loop operation when the ECU is not reacting to the O2 sensor, just the table of entries in the fuel map.
Get yourself a copy of this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Management-Systems-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760315825

After you read it, you will understand quite a bit more about how everything works. It's well worth spending 20 bucks on the book for your brain before you spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on shit for your truck.
There are other books that are good reads too but for EFI this is about the best I've found so far. As far as an easy read but has enough technical depth to be truly useful anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update, I ordered the LC-1 but got Nordskog to make me a custom DB gauge with Green LEDs and a silver bezel to match my Autometer Sport Comp II gauges for boost and tranny temp.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Went down to a shop. That is by my work to get the bung plug welded in for my wideband. The guy there said it is against the law to mess with the emissions so he wont do it.:mad: I guess ill pull the first cat myself and put the bung in front of it. like this . its ok here right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went down to a shop. That is by my work to get the bung plug welded in for my wideband. The guy there said it is against the law to mess with the emissions so he wont do it.:mad: I guess ill pull the first cat myself and put the bung in front of it. like this . its ok here right?
I personally don't like that location. Check my website in my signature for where I put mine.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with emissions what so ever.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts