TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to buy a K&N air intake off Ebay for my 2.7 and a throttle body spacer and i wanted to know what (if any) results anyone has seen as far as gas mileage and throttle response with these upgrades

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
DO NOT waste your money on a throttle body!!! They dont do much at all for our engines. I also thought they did at first, because i had one on an older truck, but for our toyota engines, they aren't worth the money

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
expect exactly what they claim for power and torque but double their claim on fuel economy

if you just searched you would find that to be the general consensus

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the throttle body for mine is 42.50 so it wouldnt be that big of a loss and somehow it says it makes it sound like a turbo lol but the Intake im not sure about its 205 i was looking for an Air raid but they dont make one for my motor..any other mods you would recomend besides exhaust or headers?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had both systems on my 2.7L and they made the truck louder and the TBS would whistle everytime you steped on the gas. As far as power I did not feel any gain or loss, but I did not have it dynoed. The K&N kit did clean up the engine bay if you are into that. Overall I regrete buying mine and have them both for sale for $120 for the entire package if interested.

Ben

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
"you ain't from around these parts, are ya boy?"

this is a topic that was beat to death some time back. but in short version…neither the K&N FIPK nor the throttle body spacer is worth a damn!

I ran both on my v6 when it was still a virgin and I got mostly sound out of the set up and no performance gain.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
If you have to have more air flow just deckplate it............but it really don't do any good............my truck gets better mpg and seems to have more power with the deckplate closed than with it open LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello to you all. I have bought my AiraidTB and K&N FIPK for my 96 tacoma (3.4 V6) from ebay,and at first noticed a bit of power, but after a while felt the same as before. The TB is suppose to increase more low end torque, which is where I feel more power from, especially when you haul a small trailer or when you off-road a steep hill. If you still want to get whatever you can out of your engine, go for it. But try to pay as little as you can.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
damex85 said:
Hello to you all. I have bought my AiraidTB and K&N FIPK for my 96 tacoma (3.4 V6) from ebay,and at first noticed a bit of power, but after a while felt the same as before. The TB is suppose to increase more low end torque, which is where I feel more power from, especially when you haul a small trailer or when you off-road a steep hill. If you still want to get whatever you can out of your engine, go for it. But try to pay as little as you can.
The TBS worked for a little bit cause your computer didn't know what the hell was going on. Then the comp sees what is happening, and adjusts the engine accordingly. Hence the going back to normal after a bit :)

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Gives more horsepower than a SuperCharger!!!

Now you'll be able to smoke that Chevy even more!!!

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
elliot_irwin said:
expect exactly what they claim for power and torque but double their claim on fuel economy

if you just searched you would find that to be the general consensus
im curious about your "double claim" on fuel economy...do you mean 1/2? cuz all the k&n has done for everyone ive met, including me, is make the truck suck gas down.

for the original poster:
i went from 21mpg to 16 by just adding the k&n. tacomas self adjust the fuel to match the air intake, so more air equals more fuel....not a whole lot of improvement.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
hammerdown said:
im curious about your "double claim" on fuel economy...do you mean 1/2? cuz all the k&n has done for everyone ive met, including me, is make the truck suck gas down.

for the original poster:
i went from 21mpg to 16 by just adding the k&n. tacomas self adjust the fuel to match the air intake, so more air equals more fuel....not a whole lot of improvement.
thats it!! mines comming out wear can i find a stock box!?

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
why am i an idiot? i took that shit off, took it back to vic hubbard, and got all my money back....a year and a half after i installed it.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
hammerdown said:
why am i an idiot? i took that shit off, took it back to vic hubbard, and got all my money back....a year and a half after i installed it.
Damn, how'd ya do that.

I have some tranny fluid form last year that I'll never use. Redline ATF. BLAH! I'd like to take it back, lol.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
oh....well in that case, im an idiot. wtf is a message thread? and how do i track one? do i need a multi-meter?

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Damn, how'd ya do that.

I have some tranny fluid form last year that I'll never use. Redline ATF. BLAH! I'd like to take it back, lol.
k&n guarantees satisfaction or your money back. i wrote the company, explained my setup and results. they replied that they cant make everyone happy and suggested i return the product to the original place of purchase. i printed the letter, and took it in for a rufund. they honored it without question.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
your sig. Super Troopers...i love that movie,best movie ever. Eat eat it..OH HELL give me the god damn soap lol genius

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
Dick Foster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing