TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Electronic TRD Locker Saftey

Does anyone know of a way around the trd locker saftey issue to be able to use the locker without engaging into 4 Lo?

·
The Road Less Traveled
88 Posts
b4rtm4n said:
Does anyone know of a way around the air locker saftey issue to be able to use the air locker without engaging into 4 Lo?
If you have a TRD factory selectable locker it is an Electric locker, it is not air operated.
If so, you can do a gray wire mod to engage it without going into 4low.
Try to do a search for "Gray wire mod".

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
That's correct, if you are talking about the Toyota factory locker, it's electric. Not compressed air operated like ARB or Jeep Rubicon factory locker.

If you have a manual trans, do the "blue wire" mod, it's easier. If you have an automatic, you have to do the "gray wire" mod, or you'll have shift point issues.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yes you can. With the grey wire mod you can engage the TRD e-locker in 4-lo, 4-hi, as well as 2wd. Great for donuts in snow. Also great for making your truck slide down hills when your stuck. When both those wheels get cranking, the tail seems to have a mind of its own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read the gray wire mod. out of Offroad.com, but my 2004 wireing harness didnt have the same color wires as his 2001.
Now there is a gray wire in the #8 slot as he noted, but i want to make sure this is the correct wire to ground..
thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Alot for the info guys..
the mod works great
the only thing i noticed is if i lock my diff. into 4HI first, then i hit the locker, it will not engage. Its sitts there and blinks. I have to engage locker first, then put into 4 Hi to make it work. kinda weird..
thanks again

·
Registered
125 Posts
blue wire?

Ok after a bit of searching around (here, customtacos, etc...) I didn't find a whole lot about the blue wire mod. just this:
akshunj said:
Find the 4 lo detector switch on the transfer case and just jumper it one pin to the other ala paper clip. Has the same effect as the gray wire mod, no cutting involved.
anybody know of a write up? seems easy enough, but today wouldn't be a good day to fcuk something up, so I thought I'd double check.
thanks fellas

·
Registered
125 Posts
also, is this a valid concern?

xenofuhrman said:
Every time I read about the 'blue wire mod', I hear that it fools the ECU unit and can cause problems with the shift points on the automatic transmission. The grey wire mod bypassed this and made it possible for all models.

I do have the manual transmission, but I still dont think I want to be fooling my ECU.

Any thoughts?
his question never got answered and I too have a manual.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
fourstringfletch said:
also, is this a valid concern?

Originally Posted by xenofuhrman
Every time I read about the 'blue wire mod', I hear that it fools the ECU unit and can cause problems with the shift points on the automatic transmission. The grey wire mod bypassed this and made it possible for all models.

I do have the manual transmission, but I still dont think I want to be fooling my ECU.

Any thoughts?

his question never got answered and I too have a manual.
It's not a "blue wire", its a "blue PLUG mod" - just in case that wasn't a typo.

On a manual, the ECU does not control shifting, so it is irrelevant. As for the different ECU's around the truck, one of them wants to only let you lock it in 4-lo, so you HAVE to fool it if you want otherwise. The only other ECU you need to worry about is the anti-lock brakes one, so if you have ABS, do the grey wire mod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts