TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my air system I have a compressor under the hood and an air tank under the bed. My connection for filling tires is under the hood as well. Can I just run one airline to the tank that will both fill it from the compressor and then empty it back to the mainfold when filling tires? I don't see why not but wanted to double check first. Thanks. ....Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Yes, it will basically bypass the tank once the tank gets full. There will still be that 'reserve' from the tank that helps the compressor to keep up though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it would work since the whole system is sealed so the entire thing has to be at the same pressure. Just wanted to double check though before I did all the work and found out it didn't work right. Thanks. .....Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
98 Taco said:
pics, steve, pics
Easy Bob, easy. :D I'm still in the assembling phases, once I get the tanks painted and mounted up I'll take some and you'll be the first to know about it. At lunch today I've got to go thread a couple pieces of pipe and bend up a couple brackets to hold the tanks. I may end up just running one tank though, it's tight under there with the spare tire and trying to stay a bit back from the exhaust. .....Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
98 Taco said:
pics, steve, pics
Rob got some pics but his camera is dead, send him a PM and get him organized to post them. We put it all together last night and mounted the tanks this morning. .....Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
98 Taco said:
pics, steve, pics
OK Bob, here's a pic of the tanks, I still haven't taken ony of the compressor and manifolds until I get my last fitting from HD tonight. Photo courtesy of Rob.


They're two, 3 gallon tanks connected together with stainless mounting brackets and rubber insolators so there's no metal on metal contact. I have a drain for each tank as well to minimize moisture accumulation. I also swished around some 10-30W to coat the insides to keep them from rusting. Mounted up really nice in front of the spare tire above the driveshaft.. More pics to follow later tonight once everything is totally finished. ....Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
SteveO said:
On my air system I have a compressor under the hood and an air tank under the bed. My connection for filling tires is under the hood as well. Can I just run one airline to the tank that will both fill it from the compressor and then empty it back to the mainfold when filling tires? I don't see why not but wanted to double check first. Thanks. ....Steve

I am having trouble picturing what you are doing, but I think the manifold to the air hose is in line with the line running to the tank? The only thing is that the compressor will be working against the air coming out of the tanks. You really ought to have an input line to the tank and a separate output line. It will help to keep air from backing up into the compressor when it cycles off. When I do my setup, I will have 2 lines. Most of my experience with air compressors comes from maintaing my 2 10 hp gas compressors, so if my experience with that doesnt apply to the 12 volt ones, i am sorry. But people I have spoken to about these machjines always say to have 2 lines. I did an experiment once where I had 1 macnie filling both tanks and 1 tank the input and output was the same and didnt notice anything, but I just wanted to pass what I was told on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to a Millright here and he said it wouldn't make any difference at all since it's a sealed system and air isn't directional but more concerned with pressure difference as long as the compressor isn't supplying more than you are using. Since there are no compressors suitable for truck use that will supply more air than I'll use it won't matter. ....Steve
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,934 Posts
Yes. As long as the T connection for tire filling is down stream i.e. toward the tank, from the compressor or check valve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
drice82 said:
whered you get your tanks?
I got them from a friend but you can try any shop that does compressor repair, they just throw out the tanks if they can't fix the pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drice82 said:
hmm, did they charge you or just dumpster dive?
and are they tanks from regular construction type compressors?
I got them from a friend but the places I talked to would have just given to me. .....Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Did you get the system up and running yet? I ask beacause i am wondering the the tank setup is working. I just got this puma 12 volt aircompressor from e-bay. It is a complete unit, with regulator, switch and a 1.5 gal tank. I wan to add another 2 gal tank, and the easiest way would be ending up with a similar situation as you. The output on the tank goies to a "t" fitting. One end goes out to the regulator and the other is plugged. i wondered if I could just run a line from the plugged port to another tank. I just dont know if it would work right, as the air would have to flow in both directions at once? It goes agains what i said before I realize, but I just wanteed to know how it actually works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
joeylead said:
Did you get the system up and running yet? I ask beacause i am wondering the the tank setup is working. I just got this puma 12 volt aircompressor from e-bay. It is a complete unit, with regulator, switch and a 1.5 gal tank. I wan to add another 2 gal tank, and the easiest way would be ending up with a similar situation as you. The output on the tank goies to a "t" fitting. One end goes out to the regulator and the other is plugged. i wondered if I could just run a line from the plugged port to another tank. I just dont know if it would work right, as the air would have to flow in both directions at once? It goes agains what i said before I realize, but I just wanteed to know how it actually works.
The system is up and running, here's a post from our local board. It works great though. .......Steve

Finally got my OBA set-up finished and wanted to say thanks to the guys that answered questions, helped me find parts, ordered me stuff (thanks again Dario) and my fellow Taco buddy Rob for helping put it together. It turned out pretty good I think. I've got two, 3 gallon tanks mounted under the bed with stainless brackets and rubber isolators. The tanks are fed with a Viair 450C comressor and fills them to 140 PSI. After an inline filter I have a regulator that ensures the manifold for my lockers only sees 80PSI to preserve seal life in the ARB's. When charged up to 120 PSI I can fill a 33 x12.5 from 10 PSI to 30 PSI in under a minute so it's plenty quick enough for me. I was also able to use my impact gun to pull off a tire with no problems. I'm getting stainless air lines made for under the hood but right now it's just regular 3/8 rubber line but it works fine.


Here's the tanks.


And them mounted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
SteveO said:
The system is up and running, here's a post from our local board. It works great though. .......Steve
Thanks for the thanks Steve, but I think you were a bit generous with it. I'm strapped for ideas on how I could've done less to help :rolleyes: Looks great! You did a good job of not having a mess of lines considering all of them.

Thanks for being there with me getting high on wheel paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mudferret said:
Thanks for the thanks Steve, but I think you were a bit generous with it. I'm strapped for ideas on how I could've done less to help :rolleyes: Looks great! You did a good job of not having a mess of lines considering all of them.

Thanks for being there with me getting high on wheel paint.
I guess you're right, I'll go back and edit out your name. :p
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top