TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would punch soooo many babies to be able to run an impact gun and a few other items with ease.

I've seen a few options such as this bad boy... http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/powerplant_hd.shtml

However comma I don't feel like I really need to be paying such a steep price to accomplish this task. Not only that, finding a bumper to fit that on my runner would be a feat in itself. I've tossed around the winch basket idea using receivers in the front and rear to mount it depending on which side needs it but I'm not crazy about dropping 18hundo in the first place.

Any Suggestions?

The babies thing was a joke by the way...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
no need to get that. look into getting an on board air set up or get yourself a co2 tank to run them off of. idk how long the co2 tank would last but it would be enough for when you really need an impact gun

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
no need to get that. look into getting an on board air set up or get yourself a co2 tank to run them off of. idk how long the co2 tank would last but it would be enough for when you really need an impact gun
The warn powerplant sucks, with co2 go big because it doesn't last long with air tools. I am slowly gonna be making an on board air system via mv50 and a bunch of other misc parts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to highly recommend the Viair 450C dual pack.

The compressors are bullet proof, it comes with most of the accessories you'll need such as pressure switch, lines, filters, fuses, and relays to get started.

It's more air than you should ever need on a truck (you should have a 5 gallon tank or so) and it's a redundant system should one compressor ever fail.

I've discovered that a lot of the cost of a good OBA system is in the accessories.

Viair 450 C Specs

450C Dual Pack great price

McMaster Carr has any and every push connect fitting you should need as well as the nylon macro line. It's good stuff and holds up better over traditional air line.

Push Connect Fitting Info

Individual Push Connect Fittings

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to highly recommend the Viair 450C dual pack.

The compressors are bullet proof, it comes with most of the accessories you'll need such as pressure switch, lines, filters, fuses, and relays to get started.

It's more air than you should ever need on a truck (you should have a 5 gallon tank or so) and it's a redundant system should one compressor ever fail.

I've discovered that a lot of the cost of a good OBA system is in the accessories.

Viair 450 C Specs

450C Dual Pack great price

McMaster Carr has any and every push connect fitting you should need as well as the nylon macro line. It's good stuff and holds up better over traditional air line.

Push Connect Fitting Info

Individual Push Connect Fittings
Wow. Seriously appreciate all the links, pal. Looking as we speak. That's a pretty killer price for dual pumps as well.

You'll have to excuse me but I know very little about CFM, max pressure necessary etc. needed to run a good quality impact gun. But this system will work as long as I have the 5 gallon tank? As if to say the prospective tools cannot be run by the pump alone. Correct?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow. Seriously appreciate all the links, pal. Looking as we speak. That's a pretty killer price for dual pumps as well.

You'll have to excuse me but I know very little about CFM, max pressure necessary etc. needed to run a good quality impact gun. But this system will work as long as I have the 5 gallon tank? As if to say the prospective tools cannot be run by the pump alone. Correct?
All air tools have the specs listed that they need to run. They really vary by tool, but with a 5 gallon tank, this system should be plenty to run most air tools that you'll need on the trail. I was able to run an impact, and air ratchet with a 3 gallon system for a limited amount of time off of a single Viair 350C. The Dual 450's are just awesome.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
20lb co2 tank ftw. Portable, cheaperthan compressors, faster filling tires, no down time when running air tools...

A 20lb tank will fill up roughly 40 35" tires from 15-30 psi. 30 bucks to refill.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seriously appreciate the input guys. The york set up looks and sounds great, definitely feasible and practical however, I'm not sure how I feel about adding a load to the front of the engine. However little the resistance might be I'm sure it still takes it's toll on long range fuel consumption. Similar to running the A/C the whole time on a long trip. I'm leaning towards the viair dual 400Cs because I can get a killer price for TWO pumps and from everything I've hear viair makes some solid products. The redundancy factor weighs in heavy there as well. Not sure about the 5 gallon tank though, leaning more towards 3ish just because of size.

Any more input is seriously appreciated folks. I'm considering all suggestions seriously. Thanks for all the help! Happy wheeling.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I also built a custom OBA system using a Puma . If you want simple though, the Puma can be used as a stand alone compressor, just as it come out of the box. All you need is a set of cables to connect to your battery. You could also run permanent cables to the front and rear and just plug in. Dollar for dollar the Puma is a hell of a compressor. It runs quiet, has 100% duty cycle, and delivers impressive CFM for a 12V system. Be aware that most airtools use a LOT of air. You need to run the numbers before you invest in any system or you might end up disappointed. Adding an additional tank, as mentioned earlier is probably a good idea if you plan to use the tools alot.

Unless you are building a service truck I don't see much use for an impact wrench just to change tires. I just carry a breaker bar with an extension and socket. They are only 85 foot pounds or so :rolleyes: A die grinder with a cutoff wheel can be useful, as well as a drill for emergency repairs. I spend extended periods in my truck so I also carry a pnuematic grease gun for trailer bearings and u-joints

The only place to get a Puma is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-1-5-gal-air-compressor-Puma-/190524413391

Teryx

·
Registered
643 Posts
20lb co2 tank ftw. Portable, cheaperthan compressors, faster filling tires, no down time when running air tools...

A 20lb tank will fill up roughly 40 35" tires from 15-30 psi. 30 bucks to refill.

^^This. I have about $150 invested in the set up, and only cost me around $15 to fill my 20# tank.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
x3 on the 20 lb co2

as a bonus its portable, you can fill up your friends tires or work on his rig when it breaks

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I honestly thought air compressers were cool and just fine for airing tires, till I saw people fill up their 37's faster than my 32's.

Then I SAS'd my truck and I realize how valuable a CO2 tank is. Unless you got a 30 gallon tank on your truck, a compressor won't keep up :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Compressors are great but you can't get a weenie one like the viair it's just too small to realistically run air tools and air up the larger tires in a reasonable amount of time. And at a whopping 2CFM it's useless once you run the tank out and are gonna be waiting for the tank to recharge for a good while.

This is what myself and a buddy run for compressors, it's just about as fast at airing up tires as the powertank and has the nuts to run airtools continuously if you desire as it pushes 8CFM at 100 PSI with a 100% duty cycle. Only downsides to it are that it has a big draw and you really need to have a dual battery setup and/or a larger alternator.

http://oasismfg.thomasnet.com/item/air-compressors/xd4000-continuous-duty-air-compressors/item-1052?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I have a few questions concerning CO2. I have a tank, it's 24" tall w/ 8" diameter. What size is this? How fast will it run out, using an impact(rough guess-I do not have an impact yet)? Where is the best place to get a regulator?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I have a few questions concerning CO2. I have a tank, it's 24" tall w/ 8" diameter. What size is this? How fast will it run out, using an impact(rough guess-I do not have an impact yet)? Where is the best place to get a regulator?
24" without the valve (Just the tank)? Sounds like a 20lb tank.

It will take a while to run out, you definately wouldn't run through it in a day. Like stated before though, it's almost pointless to run a impact on the trail. With a breaker bar and a pipe, you can put a lot more pressure on a bolt ;)

The only thing I bring to run on the tank is a die grinder with a carbide tip, and a air hammer because the bolts on my steering box are tight and the air hammer pops them out easily.

As far as how long it will last filling tires, here's a chart from powertank
http://powertank.com/full.chart.html

Beverage places, or Airgas's should carry them, but online is your best bet. Fixed regulators get the job done and won't break the bank.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts