TTORA Forum banner

Airbox swap...

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  DCabTaco 
#1 ·
I intrested into swaping a '01 stock 3.4 airbox on my '96 3.4. Has any one done this before?

#2 ·
deathwishbkr said:
I intrested into swaping a '01 stock 3.4 airbox on my '96 3.4. Has any one done this before?
Airboxes changed, 96-98 with MAF unit seperate and 99-2004 with MAF units attached on the box. It can be swapped, but it is not a direct bolt on. I think all you have to do is rewire the MAF sensor and everything else is pretty much the same. I am doing just the opposite on mine. I have modified a 98 airbox with a Supra MAF and Deckplate Mod and putting it on my 04. This way I could always install my stock box should I ever have to take it in for service.

#4 ·
deathwishbkr said:
So, will my 96 MAF sensor fit in the the newer intake?
No not the sensor itself. The sensor unit is hardmounted on the newer boxes, while in the older units it is connected onto the unit with screws. However if you are getting a newer unit, the newe MAF should be in it because it is hard mounted(which by the way is suppose to be less restrictive than older units). The connector is the same, you just have to rewire the 3 middle wires, I think. When you get the unit, you will see what I mean.

#6 ·
SurfingDrunk said:
why do you want to swap the airbox anyways?
I can't speak for him on this, but I read somewhere that 99-04 MAF sensors are less restrictive than 96-98, but to change the MAF you have to change the airbox. However they also changed around the wires. He may have a different reason for changing it, but this added air flow would be a bonus to his swap.

#10 ·
Ok, sorry for the confusion, when I got the 98 airbox it came without the little plastic piece(were the MAF is in) that connects with the rubber tube. On my air box that plastic piece is hard mounted to the airbox itself. That is why I assumed the MAF was hard mounted. At a closer inspection the MAF is not hard mounted, rather it is held by 2 screws. This is what it looks like on mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7948372655&category=33557&sspagename=WDVW

The 98 airbox that I got didn't have that plastic piece nor the MAF sensor so can't compare the two. Look at your MAF and if it unscrews from the plastic piece to just leave the sensor as shown above then the one you have should mount right in, but if it doesn't come apart from the round plastic piece then it is different. The Supra MAF sensor I have is hardmounted on a round piece of plastic similar to the one yours should be in, that is why I don't think the MAF itself can be removed. If that is the case the only option you have if you want to upgrade is get a new MAF sensor as well as the airbox. Otherwise you will have to wait till one form an earlier year goes on sale in ebay. I hope this clears things up. I tried taking pictures, but my camera is acting up and doesn't want to link up with my computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.