TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that ORS is offering "Holiday" rates for their Manual Hub Kit. I've been eyeing this kit for some time... and the extra $100 off might push me over the edge. I also see that they now offer a "NEW" kit. One that does not ship with the Warn Hubs. Is says you can use either Aisin or Mile-marker hubs. I think I might like to get the cheaper kit ($789) and order my own Aisin hubs. Before I do......

Could someone school me about the differences between Aisin/Warn. Is Aisin really stronger?? Does one stick out farther than the other?? Are there different "levels" of Aisin hubs? Meaning, are there different models to choose from. One being the cheap$$ route, while maybe another is the HIGH END model??? How much are NEW Aisin hubs?? Can I just go to Toyota and order them? Again, what model would I order?? Any other info would be great. I'm just trying to educate myself on this a little bit more. Also, how do you pronounce AISIN??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Gotta bump this for the detailed info on why the Aisin's are better. I'd love to know as well

I've been told time and time again that Aisin are far better than pretty much any other hub on the market. I can also say that Ive never seen a completly busted Aisin on the trail... A few that had some issues but, never anything that didnt get them out. Many O Warn's I've seen destroyed though.
Price--- Chances are, your gonna pay sum bux for them new.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more detailed knowledge!?!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
117 Posts
As far as why Aisins are regarded as the best, I don't know. However, I did convert to manul hubs with junkyard parts off of a 2000 for $400. I do know that the Warn hubs stick out further than the Aisins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Aisin hubs simply have a proven track record. I can't tell you exactly why they are stronger but they are. One thing that makes them stronger is that they use the cone washers. I know that the warm/milemarker hubs for the toyota solid axle do not use the cone washers. I am not sure about the warn/milemarker IFS stuff.

I would definately not use warn hubs. Buying new hubs from the dealer is going to hurt. See if you can't find a set in a local bone yard or check out http://www.car-part.com/.

later!
shane
 

·
Random Dude
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
I should note, I have warns for my SASed rig and they've come out with some -huge- gashes in them from rocks, but, still turn like new.
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
i have warn premiums on my ifs rig and they dont stick out any further than stock.what i dont like about warns are the fact that you have to turn them full around.as compared to half turn stock.waa.:xcrybaby:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
what i dont like about warns are the fact that you have to turn them full around.as compared to half turn stock.waa.:xcrybaby:
Haha, that's just what I do like about the Warn premium hubs. It may be false, but it gives me a sense of security. It's just hard to believe that the Aisin's lock in such a short turn, but they do work very well so far. (My truck only has 52,000 miles, and the hubs were probably only used a few times before the last 2000 miles since I got it)

I'm still running the stock Aisin's on my truck, but I may switch to Warn premium IF the Aisin't ever give me trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info... What about price??? Can I get a set of (new)Aisin hubs for $200-$250?? With the reduced price ORS is offering, I can get the
Aisin hubs for about the same price they offer their "full" kit with the Warn hubs. I think that would make me buy!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
The Dude Abides said:
Thanks for the info... What about price??? Can I get a set of (new)Aisin hubs for $200-$250?? With the reduced price ORS is offering, I can get the
Aisin hubs for about the same price they offer their "full" kit with the Warn hubs. I think that would make me buy!!
New Aisin hubs will run around $200 each from the dealer, maybe more. Just call and ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
The Dude Abides said:
Each?? As in $400 total. I'll make a few phone calls. Thanks for the estimate.
Just ran it through an online parts place and came up with this....

Hub Body: 43508-35040 $ 66.63
Hub Cover: 43509-35040 $ 76.49
Cone Washer: 42323-60010 (Quantity 6) $ 2.33
Hub Body Nut: 90170-08036 (Quantity 6) $ 0.64
Hub Body Washer: 90201-08042 (Quantity 6) $ 1.59
Cover Bolt with Washer: 91641-80616 (Quantity 6) $ 0.50
gaskets 43531-60010 $ 1.11
43422-60060 $ 1.38

Total $ 175.97 for each side, soooooooooo that's $351.94 Total unless I screwed up my math.

The washer with splines inside it is about $10.00 each, I think it would come with the ORS kit though. It's in the pic on their site.

I bought used ones at a junkyard for $75.00 each, everything was included except the inner gaskets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,612 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I'm still running the stock Aisin's on my truck, but I may switch to Warn premium IF the Aisin't ever give me trouble.

You wont ever have a Problem as long as you clean and grease them every once in a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nanotruck said:
Just ran it through an online parts place and came up with this....

Hub Body: 43508-35040 $ 66.63
Hub Cover: 43509-35040 $ 76.49
Cone Washer: 42323-60010 (Quantity 6) $ 2.33
Hub Body Nut: 90170-08036 (Quantity 6) $ 0.64
Hub Body Washer: 90201-08042 (Quantity 6) $ 1.59
Cover Bolt with Washer: 91641-80616 (Quantity 6) $ 0.50
gaskets 43531-60010 $ 1.11
43422-60060 $ 1.38

Total $ 175.97 for each side, soooooooooo that's $351.94 Total unless I screwed up my math.

The washer with splines inside it is about $10.00 each, I think it would come with the ORS kit though. It's in the pic on their site.

I bought used ones at a junkyard for $75.00 each, everything was included except the inner gaskets.
Thanks for your help!!! I just printed out your info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
STOMPER said:
You wont ever have a Problem as long as you clean and grease them every once in a while.
Yeah, that's one more thing to add to my to-do list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
The Dude Abides said:
Is that a "hint" that I might be able to order something like this from you?? Or... how do I go about getting these hubs for $336.38?
He works at a Toyota dealership and offers discounts to TTORA people. Just email them, great people to buy from.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
The Dude Abides
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top