TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd let people know the horrible experience I had with Charles, owner of Alcan Springs in Grand Junction Colorado....

I spent over 500 dollars on a set of 2 rear leaf springs set to 6 1/2 inches. I had them on for 4 months and they were so stiff I could barely flex at all.....then all of a sudden, the started flexing big time and for a month I got really good flex. Then my rear started sagging way down, in fact had to put a 2 1/2 inch block under each one just to keep it level, but it continued to sag. 10 months after I purchased the springs, I sent them back to alcans to have them fixed, rebuilt, whatever..........I received them back 3 weeks later with one leaf replaced on only one leaf, bushings were the same broken down used ones, and they weren't even cleaned up or arched. I put them back on after being out of my truck for 3 weeks, with the same "Rigging" I had set up and went on a road trip to Grand Junction to visit face to face with Charles. He argued that it wasn't the spring, but I had advised I had already checked the geometry of the frame, axle, etc etc professionally (and I did)......so I he told me he'd build me a new one, and I in return told him I would ship the old one back. so almost 2 weeks later, I called Alcans to get status, and no answer, then Charles called back 4 days later, told me he wasn't going to build me a spring, and hung up.

Needless to say, no 4 wheel enthusiast should have to deal with people like this, or businesses in our sport that have ethics as negative as Charles. I heard him say once he'd been in the business for 35 years. After all the people I've talked to that have had the same problem or experience as I, maybe it's time for him to be out of the business now.

I have nothing good to say about the alcan product or the alcan company, and for those looking for leaf springs, I would steer clear of the Alcan product. Unfortunately, their product is sold through AOR, also in Grand Junction, and I have had good experiences with AOR, but like I said, unless you want a crappy pos spring and no warranty that your spring will even work right, I'd stay away from ALCAN. My 2 cents...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Davidtaco said:
I know.... let me find my old post on ttora and copy it here for ya

-David
83786.6 in reply to 83786.3

Oh yeah i meant to reply....LOL

Alcan really screwed my order up......

OK here's the deal, I have a member that has his truck pretty much the same hieght as mine, and he ordered 5" alcans...so after seeing his I was like sweet they gave him 7-8" of lift with out blocks, thats what i want....So i called Alcan, and placed an order for 5" springs...they said they will take 3 weeks, and then be shipped i was like cool.....So i called back after 2 weeks, to check on the status and I got this THEY ARE GOING INTO PRODUCTION ON TUESDAY, AND SHOULD BE SHIPPED OUT THURSDAY. I was like Sweet...thanks

well i recieved my springs, and stick the left on the and the right on the right....and my truck leaned BAD to the passager side....i was like WTF..so then i took them off AGIAN, and swapped the right to the left, and the left to the right, and it still leaned a little, but was way better....then i pulled the truck out of the garage, and notice i didn't gain ANY lift.....ok so now i was pissed, because my truck is 4" lower, and i only got 3" of lift out of the springs....so then i took the springs off, and put my TM block back in....(what i was trying to get rid of........) I called alcans the next day, as i was pissed that i ordered 5" springs, and they did not give me the lift i was looking for... he said (Charles aka the owner) thats funny we had those sent BACK from another guy that said he got 5" out of them when he only wanted 3"......Geeze so i go screwed, they didn'tr take into consideration all the DETAILS i told them about my truck, and when they said they goin to PRODUCTION this week... i was flat out lied too... how can they go into production, if they were giving me springs some else returned..... Anyways the springs are nice, but i am running a block 3"...which i didn't want, and alcan treated me like sh!t....

Since then i have modifled them and got rid of the block....haha
-David

·
Registered
458 Posts
BlingTaco said:
He argued that it wasn't the spring
What did he say was the problem?

BlingTaco said:
but I had advised I had already checked the geometry of the frame, axle, etc etc
What was checked? There isn't much in the way of 'geometry' of a leaf spring setup. Just curious....

That sucks dude... I wish I could get my rear alcans to sag some. They are 3+ years old. I'm gonna start pullin leaves here soon.

good luck!
shane

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah mine havent sagged any but they cost me 600 and then like 120 to have them shipped and that included new urethane bushings. I ordered them from the guy who does all the work on my truck at Steves Offroad and told him I wanted 8" lifted leaves that wouldn't axle wrap with 38"s. What i got was 10" lifted leafs that a toyota 2.7L with 5.29 gears couldn't axle wrap if it wanted to. i like them but don't really like the axle welded to frame ride. If I put my spare tire and rim in the bed it rides a lil better. But I knew ahead of time when I ordered them they were going to be stiff b/c you either have a spring that flexes well and axle wraps. Or you have spring that doesn't flex and doesn't axle wrap. There is a happy medium but I guess Alcan hasn't figured it out. I'm satisfied with my springs got more lift than I asked for but other than that I got what I ordered.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He couldn't come up with one, and there isn't one so he just kind skipped around instead of owning up to a problem he has with his spring. I've had a dozen guys tell me they were pissed at Charles cuz they market the leafs as off road springs, but when you bring em back under a year later, he looks at you as if you are crazy for taking the truck wheelin....2 faced, unethical, and not very smart is how I would characterize Charles at Alcan Spring.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Dave, your one of the several guys i know of that had problems.....I'm just pissed because if you have a reputation, then shit on several people that call you on a problem, enough people won't know about it to make a difference, that's why I posted. Seems like people I know just continue having problems with this guy and company. I'll never go back, but I think the magazines should know his ethics.....I sent a letter to Petersens and a couple others giving em the scoop on some of us in the club...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah dude, not happy on that one........I'm gonna use a couple mid 70;s chevy springs and re weld my hangars instead of getting new ones made...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
BlingTaco said:
yeah dude, not happy on that one........I'm gonna use a couple mid 70;s chevy springs and re weld my hangars instead of getting new ones made...
just do the 63" chevies and make trac bar to keep the axle wrap down. they flex well, and with a lear or 2 added and a little longer shackle i clear my 39.5's easily.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You took the words right out of my mouth.....that is exactly what I'm going with...should clear my 37's fine, and Steve Eggan from CBI Offroad in Idaho did a fantastic job building a Trac bar for my D60, so just need to find the springs...great minds think alike!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
BlingTaco said:
You took the words right out of my mouth.....that is exactly what I'm going with...should clear my 37's fine, and Steve Eggan from CBI Offroad in Idaho did a fantastic job building a Trac bar for my D60, so just need to find the springs...great minds think alike!
:xrocker: yeah with out the trac bar my rear 60's pinion almost went through my bed lol. afterwards it doesnt move. what kind of ends did he use and is it welded to the axle tube? if so make sure its wrapped and welded all the way around the tube because ive seen a many rip off the axle tube due to improper design.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah wraps all the way around, right next to the diff on pass side, 3/4 heim, shacke welded and reinforced to the stock crossmember.....I swear, I've jumped on both rears and the thing didn't move at all..........yeah baby!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
BlingTaco said:
Hey Anthony, PBB? is that the pirate board??

Yes, I'll answer my own question there.....duhhhhhhh.....thanks bro :)
hey dan

yeh

Pirate4x4 message board

lots of guys there spend serious coin on springs and can help make or break a vendor....also they might be able to give you some help with resolving the issue..

alcan has had problems with customer service as long as i have been in this sport, some people get great service...maybe its a front desk issue...like they need a better people person answering the phone

good luck Dan

check out my new 37's :)

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album129/aaw

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album129/abl

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album129/acm

i need to do some serious axle moving in the front and fender trimming though

how is that D60? are you finding it to be a rock anchor or a big improvement?

good luck Dan

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey bud,

Yeah dude, your truck is lookin bitchin!!! 37's all the way!!! I'm so glad I went with 37's too, especially with the new 60. No i don't think it's an anchor, at least no more than my toy axle was, only now its good and protected too. The friggin AWESOME Trac bar Steve at CBI Offroad built me is almost overpowering than the D60.....the whole setup is so strong, and I have enough power to roll over almost anything so I'm really not too concerned with breakage. Definitely a huge improvement, and well worth the time and energy. I recommend it, especially with a crawler set up. I'll have to let ya drive it down in az rocks, see what ya think.....you're goin down there right?

·
Registered
828 Posts
sounds sweet
steve is a nice guy...i was doing a lot of talking to him when he was doing Jimmys SAS...really really nice guy...genuine....glad to hear his trac bar is working out..thats something thats on my too buy list for sure.....

i am trying my best to make it to AZ, but most likely wont be bringing my truck, so i should be riding with someone and might even bring the wife...

You digging the crawler? :) :)

thanks for the info....37's are definately where its at

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
BlingTaco said:
He couldn't come up with one, and there isn't one so he just kind skipped around instead of owning up to a problem he has with his spring. I've had a dozen guys tell me they were pissed at Charles cuz they market the leafs as off road springs, but when you bring em back under a year later, he looks at you as if you are crazy for taking the truck wheelin....2 faced, unethical, and not very smart is how I would characterize Charles at Alcan Spring.
crap dude. that sucks. Im glad Deaver has a great reputation on the boards. I need to get my 8 leaf re worked now that they are in a 's' shape. Guess neigther deaver or alcan can take a ton of abuse... or my springs (and a buddies) are just special. ugh. 6 months on mine, and ~ 1 yr on his 7 leaf

Hope u get this cleared up man.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts