TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a no brainer question but I'm asking anyway.

Before someone says "search newbie" I've been on here for hours and haven't come across this yet so that's why I'm asking now.

When you lift an 07 Tacoma, (spacer or coil) do you have to have new upper control arms to maintain factory spec alignment? I know my Nissan Frontier required new UCA's just to get the wheels back into the correct alignment.

Also, is there a way to lift the front end without a lift kit? I'm guessing now. My Frontier had t-bars and you could crank them a little. I only want an inch or two.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Any lift kit you apply to yer truck you will need an alignment... and no you don't need new UCA's... the only way to lift the front is to add larger tires, and a lift setup... sorry... :eek:

If you are only lookn' for an inch or two... you might wanna go with a spacer lift...

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I think the new Taco's need UCA's to correct the Caster...

The older trucks though do not though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
yea, Toyota did away with the torsion bars at the start of the Tacoma. Besides, lifting it that way REALLY messes with your alignment and makes it ride real bad.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NorcalPR said:
I think the new Taco's need UCA's to correct the Caster...

The older trucks though do not though.
So do I need new UCA's with something like a spacer lift?

And as far as spacer lifts go, why are they so troublesome? All I'm reading is no one likes them but not seeing any real explanations to why other than some people get a vibration and harsh ride with stock shocks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spacer Lifts

I think people dislike spacer lifts because they leave you with the stock shock absorber and stock springs which when you add a bull bar and larger tires do not control the motion of the wheels as well as shocks and springs designed for larger wheels and loads.
This is a safety concern since the control of the front wheels goes hand in hand with your ability to contol the truck in an unexpected event (i.e. slamming the brakes to avoid hitting something in your way). If the stock components can't keep the wheel in contact with the ground you lose control. Ride wise I think they are a little more rough and you won't get as much suspension travel as you would with the alternatives. A spacer lift with upgraded shock absorbers is an alternative, but then you are getting near coilover price ranges.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
A TC arm will bring the caster back to factory spec.. Expect to get re-aligned after the lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts