TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 07' 4x4 w/DR coils and Deavers out back, I have the TC UCA mounted and new Toyo MT's 285's. I have had it to the dealer 3 times trying to get her aligned and finally the dealer tells me its my tires.

Anyways, they put the stock tires on it and it drives straight, then they put the 285's on it and it pulls right so they are convinced it's the tires. I would be convinced also but when they rotated the tires a bunch of times trying to fix the issue the truck always pulled right and the alignment for the 285's is not the same as it would be for the 29"ers and vice versa. Soooo..... :confused:

What I am looking for is other guys alignment numbers with the same setup I have (brand of tire does not matter).

Here are my numbers, it's the best they could do with it.

Left Front...............................................Right Front
Actual / Before / Spec Range.............. Actual / Before / Spec Range
0.4 .... / 0.5 ..../ -0.2 to 1.3... Camber .. 0.0 .../ 0.2 .../ -0.2 to 1.3
2.2 ..../ 2.7 ..../ 1.2 to 2.7....... Caster .. 2.5 .../ 2.7 .../ 1.2 to 2.7
0.05 ..../ 0.15 /-0.04 to 0.12.... Toe .... 0.07 .../ 0.14 / -0.04 to 0.12

I am thinking I need to go outside the Toyota spec. range with the Caster (My bud at the dealership could not really go outside the range because of liability crap) - give your opinions and experiences. Thanks

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
doesnt sound right imo. i dont see why tires would affect the alignment. try a shop that does lifted trucks. i dont think you can go with stock specs with a lift

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
mandzach said:
Anyways, they put the stock tires on it and it drives straight, then they put the 285's on it and it pulls right so they are convinced it's the tires.
Moved this thread to the suspension folder.

I would agree with them too. Your alignment specs also indicate a caster and camber difference from L/R which could contribute to it pulling to the right.

Take your truck to an alignment shop that has a certified suspension/alignment tech and discuss your issues with them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
badmoonrising said:
doesnt sound right imo. i dont see why tires would affect the alignment. try a shop that does lifted trucks. i dont think you can go with stock specs with a lift

I see you have a similar suspension setup -did you ever get your alignment numbers after you lifted?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I got the same set up as you but with 265/75/16 tires. I always got my paper work. Though my specs are different because I have the standard cab. I just got an alignment yesterday after getting the UCA in. They used the specs for a 2001-04 Tacoma....(mines an 05) It's solid right now but heads to the right.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
mandzach said:
Anyone?
I can not belive you guys all had your trucks aligned after lifting them and didnt take home the paper work with the numbers on it.
The alignment shop I use does my alignment the old fashioned way. No electronic rack, lasers or any of that. Just the traditional tools. My alignment comes out perfect everytime. So no, I didnt get a paper with the numbers. :rolleyes:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
mandzach said:
New 07' 4x4 w/DR coils and Deavers out back, I have the TC UCA mounted and new Toyo MT's 285's. I have had it to the dealer 3 times trying to get her aligned and finally the dealer tells me its my tires.

Anyways, they put the stock tires on it and it drives straight, then they put the 285's on it and it pulls right so they are convinced it's the tires. I would be convinced also but when they rotated the tires a bunch of times trying to fix the issue the truck always pulled right and the alignment for the 285's is not the same as it would be for the 29"ers and vice versa. Soooo..... :confused:

What I am looking for is other guys alignment numbers with the same setup I have (brand of tire does not matter).

Here are my numbers, it's the best they could do with it.

Left Front...............................................Right Front
Actual / Before / Spec Range.............. Actual / Before / Spec Range
0.4 .... / 0.5 ..../ -0.2 to 1.3... Camber .. 0.0 .../ 0.2 .../ -0.2 to 1.3
2.2 ..../ 2.7 ..../ 1.2 to 2.7....... Caster .. 2.5 .../ 2.7 .../ 1.2 to 2.7
0.05 ..../ 0.15 /-0.04 to 0.12.... Toe .... 0.07 .../ 0.14 / -0.04 to 0.12

I am thinking I need to go outside the Toyota spec. range with the Caster (My bud at the dealership could not really go outside the range because of liability crap) - give your opinions and experiences. Thanks
the problem is where you took your truck to get it aligned. the dealer will NOT have a tech who will know what to do with your truck. He can only go by what that little 'puter screen tells him and that it NOT what you need to get your rig aligned. and yes, to get it right it will be out of specs.

you need to find a regular alignment shop with and 'old-school' alignment tech (start calling around and explain you have a lifted truck that is NOT stock).

If you are in Norcal there's a place in SJ that really knows their shtuff...ain't cheap and they have about a week's waiting line but it will be perfect.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
hytenor said:
the problem is where you took your truck to get it aligned. the dealer will NOT have a tech who will know what to do with your truck. He can only go by what that little 'puter screen tells him and that it NOT what you need to get your rig aligned. and yes, to get it right it will be out of specs.

you need to find a regular alignment shop with and 'old-school' alignment tech (start calling around and explain you have a lifted truck that is NOT stock).

If you are in Norcal there's a place in SJ that really knows their shtuff...ain't cheap and they have about a week's waiting line but it will be perfect.

I am sorry but this is not correct...........i have aligned my lifted Tacoma and a couple others........You can make them drive straight while keeping everything inside the factory specs........it is not hard you just cant be a dumbass...........even my truck being high mileage is 100% in specs and it drives straight.

with the specs you provided both camber and caster are going left.....which is good......this will compensate for road crown in most cases........however if you still have a pull it would not be hard to re-adjust it so that they go left harder than they do now........all while still being in the factory accepted range....there is absolutely no reason to go outside that range......none.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
I am sorry but this is not correct...........i have aligned my lifted Tacoma and a couple others........You can make them drive straight while keeping everything inside the factory specs........it is not hard you just cant be a dumbass...........even my truck being high mileage is 100% in specs and it drives straight.

with the specs you provided both camber and caster are going left.....which is good......this will compensate for road crown in most cases........however if you still have a pull it would not be hard to re-adjust it so that they go left harder than they do now........all while still being in the factory accepted range....there is absolutely no reason to go outside that range......none.
we're talking about '05 and newer...big difference.

but, there are reasons to go out of specs on the earlier models when uniball uppers are involved in the equasion.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
hytenor said:
we're talking about '05 and newer...big difference.

but, there are reasons to go out of specs on the earlier models when uniball uppers are involved in the equasion.

Why???

I have asked this before and no body will give me an answer........all I get is there just is......it is not that I don't believe you it is just I don't see the reason and I am would like to understand.

It don't really matter what year it is.......by looking at his posted specs I know dam well that I could make that truck drive straight while keeping inside the factory spec range.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
well I have the answer.. Your going to the wrong shop. Alot of people have problems, cause they hook it up to the computer and just do the spec of the computer, rather than eyeing it. You need to take it to a place that wont try to set it up to factory specs when you have bigger tires etc..

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
and yet again.............all I get is there are reasons to go out of the spec range with no factual, technical, or mechanical facts to support it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
and yet again.............all I get is there are reasons to go out of the spec range with no factual, technical, or mechanical facts to support it :rolleyes:
I agree with you 100% Full-tilt-fud
All of my friends with lifted Tundras 6" RCD/UNiball
and Tacomas 04 and up with either Donahoes or Procomp or whatever and uniballs ALWAYS have used the factory specs to align their vehicles. Most of them dont run M/T's on the streets. The uniball (camburg or total chaos upper arms) makes it easier to get to factory specs.

Mr Mandzach stated himself it went straight with this alignment with stock tires
Anyways, they put the stock tires on it and it drives straight, then they put the 285's on it and it pulls right so they are convinced it's the tires.
The alignment looks like it is compensating for road crown as you stated.
The left tire has 1/2 degree more positive camber than the right, this will lean the truck to the left a bit.
The left caster is lower than the right, this will cause the truck to push slightly to the left.
Depending on road crown this truck should drive straight or drift a little left, which he stated it does. With stock tires.
Tires do not affect alignment angles/degrees or inches, depending on how you measure it. You should be able to align a truck with one set of tires and then swap out to another set without any problems. If there is a problem, the only thing you changed was tires... so that must be where the problem is.

How can it go straight with 1 set of NON AGRESSIVE TIRES and then pull with AGRESSIVE M/T's...... I agree it is in the tires.
Have you ever looked at a set of TOYO MT's, The outside treads all point in 1 direction. With the solid letters facing out the big rubber lugs point down to the right.HMMMMMM Could the agressive ruber be grabbing the road? Even if you turn the tire around they still point right.

With this big tire if you go to far on the caster in either direction, the tires will rub either the front or rear of the fenderwells, and the body mount.

Attachments

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
Why???

I have asked this before and no body will give me an answer........all I get is there just is......it is not that I don't believe you it is just I don't see the reason and I am would like to understand.

It don't really matter what year it is.......by looking at his posted specs I know dam well that I could make that truck drive straight while keeping inside the factory spec range.
contact Super Duty for the whole story from the shop in SJ. He posted a thread with thorough explanation quite some time ago.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tinker Town explained the issue exactly as my mechanic did,...hmmmm ;) .
I called Toyo and explained the situation to them and they stated that it could be that one tire is bad but that having 4 bad tires is practically impossible. Toyo also went on to tell me that this issue of a bad tire would reveal itself when rotating the tires around the truck. Well the mechanic already tried that and it changed nothing. So according to the service department the truck should be pulling left and it is only pulling right because of the tires. Ideas are welcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
mandzach
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing