TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up y'all. I just finished installing new OME springs, struts and rear shocks on my Tacoma, and I need to get it aligned. I guess I could wander into a local tire shop, but if any of you have a recommendation for a place that specializes in trucks/lifts, or did a nice job aligning your rig, I'd be happy to have it.

I'm in Lafayette, so something on the north end would be preferred.

Thanks.
- Matt

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
NOOOOO! Don't go to a tire shop for a post-lift alignment! They are "only" trained in the use of the machine and how to align a vehicle that is pretty close. When you have to make bigger adjustments, you need someone who understands the impact of adjusting one element (caster, camber, toe) on the others.

Need to find an "old school" alignment shop... unfortunately, I'm kinda new here and don't know of any (yet). I'll be watching this thread closely though!

The other option is to buy a time based alignment, where they will redo it for a certain amount of time, and then take it back a few times so they can work it into proper alignment.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm kinda looking for a shop too. I have a solid axle now and don't want to just take it anywhere.

I've only heard good things about bear frame and axle on Broadway (about the 2000 block, south) but haven't taken my truck there yet.

I'll be watching this thread too.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Automotive Specialty Services Limited
2516 49th Street Suite 8, Boulder, CO 80301
(303) 442-4234

Talk to Chuck, the owner/operator. I've been taking my 4Runners to him for the past 15+ years and he knows his biz and is comfortable with lifts and off-road apps.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Trepke's Tire Town over off of public used to be a club sponsor, though with the lack of activity with them i dont know anymore. but they did an alignment for me about a year ago for quite a bit less than most shops and did a great job.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
The guys at Allphase took Molly's to some shop here in Longmont...
I'll ask them on Monday and post up who they used....

... Hmmm as a CoTTORA "promotions" staff member - maybe I should see if the one fj used in Boulder would "sponsor us" meaning offer a CoTTORA discount? I'll check into that too!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the feedback. I've read elsewhere that some folks have had good luck going to places like Firestone and BigO, but like TC said, if there is a place that specializes in custom setups, that's where I'd rather go.

I read on Colorado4x4 that several folks recommended Bear Alignment in Loveland, although that's a bit far for me.

I'm also really close to John's 4x4 on Arapahoe, and I think they do alignments, but I've read nothing but bad reviews about those guys on the boards.

Thanks Molly for posting anything you find out. I'm going to make a few calls on Monday as well.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yeah - anytime I've dealt with John's all I got was attitude. Their customer service SUCKS!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Lysmachia said:
Yeah - anytime I've dealt with John's all I got was attitude. Their customer service SUCKS!
Ditto on John's, attitude and pricey to boot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had mine done at Boulder Toyota ~$57, the guy there has been doing it for 13years. The first time I had it done there was when I bent my frame, he did what he could so that I could drive the truck properly till I could get it fixed. Then I took it to them after I had my lift and 33's instaled, not a problem since.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fjcruzer said:
Automotive Specialty Services Limited
2516 49th Street Suite 8, Boulder, CO 80301
(303) 442-4234

Talk to Chuck, the owner/operator. I've been taking my 4Runners to him for the past 15+ years and he knows his biz and is comfortable with lifts and off-road apps.
I called the above shop, and apparently they were bought out, and Chuck retired. Even though they still do automotive services/alignments, the guy there recommended Steve's Alignment in Longmont for "speciality" alignment work. I called another place locally that told me around $120 and didn't really give me a warm fuzzy, and then I called All Phase just to see what they said. They also recommended Steve's, and they also recommended a place called Hayes auto in Longmont.

So......I'll be up at Steve's this Friday.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yeah Steve's was where All Phase took my truck....

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good deal - thanks Molly. I've got an appt for Friday morning, so I'll report back the results if there's anything noteworthy.

- matt

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I'm here....thought I'd update this thread. I went back to Steve's this morning to have them check my alignment because I felt like the truck might have a slight pull to the left, and I also asked them to try and improve the caster specs (my results were -0.2 and 0.6 for L and R; Toyota spec is 1.1 to 2.6 or so)

They basically told me that the caster was as good as it was going to get, and that the pulling was the result of a loose belt in one of my tires. Seemed like an odd response to me....

Anyway, I'm getting new tires in a couple weeks, so I guess I'll be able to test their theory. The truck rides fine, and I'm not unhappy with it, but given all the props that Steve's Alignment got (from All Phase and from a shop in Boulder), I guess I would only rate them as average.

On a side note, I dropped in to All Phase to say hi, and those guys are cool as hell. Dave (the owner?) gave me alot of options/ideas for sliders, showed me some stuff around the shop, and a couple of links to check out. Still trying to decide between bolt-on and welded.....

-matt

·
Registered
878 Posts
No one is as good as Jacob at Boulder Toy for nailing an alignment on a Taco...

I have had a number of alignments done at Bears in Loveland for several vehicles and they do all right , they did miss that the rear drivers side eccentric was loose and bent the first time thru on the Taco
(I would also recommend Bear Frame and Axle on Broadway near Dartmouth for 4x4 enthusiasts like us because they can inspect and straiten the frame if need be)

Either I have knocked the frame back out of whack or the top plates on the struts are bent(most likely) because even after replacing all the eccentrics(hex bolts) on the control arms I am still yellow on the alignment machine at Pederson's...

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Jacket said:
the caster specs (my results were -0.2 and 0.6 for L and R; Toyota spec is 1.1 to 2.6 or so)
There's your problem - one is positive and the other negative. It's not so important to nail the individual specs as it is the cross caster (both sides match)

Here's a great article describing it and, if you're adventurous, how to do an alignment yourself!

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=107579

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea - but they played the "road crowning" card (left should be less than right to compensate for slope in road), which I've heard elsewhere as well, and didn't know enough to call BS. I just wonder if I feel it more because it's both under spec and about .8 degree different from left to right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts