TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey FJ guys..

Are any of you running the All Pro Off Road coilover setup and/or UCA kit?

It is the same setup for an 05 Taco..and I was intersted in buying the kit..but I want some input from anyone who actually has it.

Thanks..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am running the adjustable coilovers w/ remote resivoirs on my fjc (stock UCA). At first I thought they were the cats ass. Now after wheeling them for a bit, adding a winch and bumper I just dont think they were cut out for the weight. I now regret buying them, they seem to bottom out easily and the UCA contacts the shock resivoir on full compression (already busted a mount on each side) waiting for the day to crush the resivoir.
Next time I upgrade I will be going with donahoes or OME or something different all together. I was also not impressed with the customer service that I got from them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh well..Hoe's it is then!!

Thanks buddy..sorry to hear about the damage..

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am running the adjustable coilovers w/ remote resivoirs on my fjc (stock UCA). At first I thought they were the cats ass. Now after wheeling them for a bit, adding a winch and bumper I just dont think they were cut out for the weight. I now regret buying them, they seem to bottom out easily and the UCA contacts the shock resivoir on full compression (already busted a mount on each side) waiting for the day to crush the resivoir.
Next time I upgrade I will be going with donahoes or OME or something different all together. I was also not impressed with the customer service that I got from them.
Sorry to hear you are having problems, but the reservoir is supposed to be mounted dead center above the shock mount, there's no way if it is mounted correctly that the upper a-arm can contact it. I'd also like to know the circumstances where the shock bottomed out - its a progressive valved shock and gets stiffer the faster and harder it travels, resisting bottoming out. The Donohoes are digressive valved and get softer in the same situation, necessitating the jounce or bumpstops to control them. If you are racing or jumping the truck, the digressive valving would be the ticket, as the Walker Evans progressive valving is better suited to trail running and rockcrawling terrain they were designed for.

If you have any problems please contact me directly at the shop for help with any issues you are experiencing.

Terry
All Pro Off Road

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i just oredered full kit from terry , he was very helpful. ive bought alot of all pro stuff and everything has always worked.:)

·
225 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems, but the reservoir is supposed to be mounted dead center above the shock mount, there's no way if it is mounted correctly that the upper a-arm can contact it. I'd also like to know the circumstances where the shock bottomed out - its a progressive valved shock and gets stiffer the faster and harder it travels, resisting bottoming out. The Donohoes are digressive valved and get softer in the same situation, necessitating the jounce or bumpstops to control them. If you are racing or jumping the truck, the digressive valving would be the ticket, as the Walker Evans progressive valving is better suited to trail running and rockcrawling terrain they were designed for.

If you have any problems please contact me directly at the shop for help with any issues you are experiencing.

Terry
All Pro Off Road
Wow, I have to say your babble looks impressive to the people who might not know the ins and outs of shock design and ground vehicle dynamics. Perhaps next time before you post you should research a little bit or maybe take one of our shock seminars we have been teaching lately. But for the people who do know what they are taking about you have just showed your hand and also made it perfectly clear why you buy your shocks from Walker Evans and not build your own. You have no Idea what you are talking about. Your post was pulled straight from the hear-say and propaganda file. First off your piston is NOT progressive …It’s Linier. There is no such thing as a progressive piston…a progressive piston is a metering rod. . There is something available in shock form that is progressive. It’s called a by-pass shock!!!. A linier piston is the same piston design that is in a Sway-away, King, and FOX Shock. It’s a good design. I’m not knocking it. It’s great for multiple applications and getting close to some actual applications. But it’s a middle of the road design. The Digressive piston is limited as well but our Piston is not only digressive it is ALSO linier depending on how we valve the shock. Our piston design lends itself to being way more tunable then your stand alone linier piston. Simple put we built adjustability in to our piston because we knew we would be building shocks from full blown race to street queen with the same piston and all of them had to ride better then our competition in each market. Because we knew people like you would make outrageous claims with no shock history claiming to be an expert when in fact your just selling your customer a warmed over snowmobile shock and calling it a great truck shock. The end result is a lot of people who buy something that is second rate thinking it’s the best based on your propaganda. Secondly don’t make Claims as to what our digressive piston does or does not do.. You have no idea. Nor does our shock require more bump stop because of the piston design. Thirdly, Terrain plays no effect on shocks that are valved correctly…Claiming that your shock works better on the rocks then our shock is simply ridiculous and an uneducated comment. A shocks job is to transfer kinetic energy to heat. Simply put a properly valved shock absorbs obstacles. The shock has no idea if it’s a rock going slow or a whoop-dee-doo in the desert at high speed. So if it’s valved correctly you don’t need a knob for adjustment. The reason people put knobs on shock is because they guessed on valving or have fallen into the belief that shock valving is a preference. Its not, Proper vehicle stability is universal. If a truck rides great everyone in it agrees. It’s when they ride like crap that people make claims like “I like my shock softer for the rocks and stiffer for the desert.” I personally like the same shock perfect for both.

Bottom line…..Donahoe Racing shocks are by far, way, way, way, better then what All-pro offers on the rocks. And in the sand, and on the street, and in Moab, and Big bear and BAJA and in your drive way. And there is only one way to prove that……TEST DRIVE THEM BOTH AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wow, I have to say your babble looks impressive to the people who might not know the ins and outs of shock design and ground vehicle dynamics. Perhaps next time before you post you should research a little bit or maybe take one of our shock seminars we have been teaching lately. But for the people who do know what they are taking about you have just showed your hand and also made it perfectly clear why you buy your shocks from Walker Evans and not build your own. You have no Idea what you are talking about. Your post was pulled straight from the hear-say and propaganda file. First off your piston is NOT progressive …It’s Linier. There is no such thing as a progressive piston…a progressive piston is a metering rod. . There is something available in shock form that is progressive. It’s called a by-pass shock!!!. A linier piston is the same piston design that is in a Sway-away, King, and FOX Shock. It’s a good design. I’m not knocking it. It’s great for multiple applications and getting close to some actual applications. But it’s a middle of the road design. The Digressive piston is limited as well but our Piston is not only digressive it is ALSO linier depending on how we valve the shock. Our piston design lends itself to being way more tunable then your stand alone linier piston. Simple put we built adjustability in to our piston because we knew we would be building shocks from full blown race to street queen with the same piston and all of them had to ride better then our competition in each market. Because we knew people like you would make outrageous claims with no shock history claiming to be an expert when in fact your just selling your customer a warmed over snowmobile shock and calling it a great truck shock. The end result is a lot of people who buy something that is second rate thinking it’s the best based on your propaganda. Secondly don’t make Claims as to what our digressive piston does or does not do.. You have no idea. Nor does our shock require more bump stop because of the piston design. Thirdly, Terrain plays no effect on shocks that are valved correctly…Claiming that your shock works better on the rocks then our shock is simply ridiculous and an uneducated comment. A shocks job is to transfer kinetic energy to heat. Simply put a properly valved shock absorbs obstacles. The shock has no idea if it’s a rock going slow or a whoop-dee-doo in the desert at high speed. So if it’s valved correctly you don’t need a knob for adjustment. The reason people put knobs on shock is because they guessed on valving or have fallen into the belief that shock valving is a preference. Its not, Proper vehicle stability is universal. If a truck rides great everyone in it agrees. It’s when they ride like crap that people make claims like “I like my shock softer for the rocks and stiffer for the desert.” I personally like the same shock perfect for both.

Bottom line…..Donahoe Racing shocks are by far, way, way, way, better then what All-pro offers on the rocks. And in the sand, and on the street, and in Moab, and Big bear and BAJA and in your drive way. And there is only one way to prove that……TEST DRIVE THEM BOTH AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!!
Yeah he just won my business, I am going hoes in a couple of months, I made the mistake of buying my OME springs 6 months before getting my winch and bumper and now the stag and the stiffness of the coil is rattling my teeth.

Hey Donahoe, I added two hundred pounds to the front of my truck how will that affect the ride of the Donahoe Coil Overs? And is it true that the Donahoe and Light Racing brand are the same?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hey Donahoe, I added two hundred pounds to the front of my truck how will that affect the ride of the Donahoe Coil Overs?
I can answer at least that part for you - I had my donahoes before my winch and bumper. There was no change at all in the ride and handling of the FJ after installing it, same great ride both on and off-road.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah I guess I was had too!
I will probably be ditching the walker evans when I get some cash, and going donahoe. The 6" pro comp seems to be calling my name too, but I would like to hear from others that have it. <---- Dont flame me, I know the drop bracket isnt most of your guys prefferance. But the closest rocks to me are about 500km away so I wont be doing any crawling.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check out tennessesquire over at MUD, he has the first Rough Country 6" lift, you can see what it looks like and how he likes it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah I asked him to send me some pictures so I could check out the clearance. Unfoutunately I can't access that forum from work, and dont spend much time on the net at home. Thanks tho!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Fox & King middle of the road? Thats why our tech that is a crew chief in Pro 4 has never seen a DR shock in that class, just Kings and Fox... guess the guys with the $250K trucks just cant justify upgrading to your superior design, huh?
Has Donohoe won an Off Road Championship? Maybe one... Walker evans won 38 series championships and 146 individual race wins. you are missing a key point. I was describing a type of valving, information that is available anywhere on the web. I never claimed to be a shock manufacturer or expert. Walker Evans Racing IS however a shock manufacturer and experts on the topic, regardless of what the other comments have been. They manufacture a shock to our specs exclusively for us, just like they do for Dynatrac & the Jeeps 4X4REVIEW.COM: DYNATRAC and Walker Evans Racing Offer High Performance Shocks for Jeep Vehicles so if there is any propaganda flying it is a competitor trying to discredit his competition.
We have had several customers drive our WER equipped vehicles and choose adjustable reservoirs because they experienced first hand the dramatic difference a few clicks of the knob made in ride quality and handling. If everyone were the same it would be easy to make 1 valving that all would love, but not everyone is the same, so to say 1 setting is perfect for everyone is a misleading & irresponsible statement. Have you ever bought a TV and taken it out of the box, and never touched the color, brightness, contrast or other controls? Ever ordered a plate of food at a restaraunt and never seasoned it with salt, pepper or sauce? Thats because its nearly impossible to please everyone with just one choice. Auto manufacturers make cars with options, Walker Evans makes shocks with options, and you dont need to be biased or an expert to understand that.
Will Donohoe shocks suit everybodys needs? NO, Will Walker Evans Racing shocks suit everyones needs? NO, BUT they are likely to please a lot more customers with their adjustable ride quality than other no choice alternatives.
All Pro offers both an adjustable and non-adjustable version, and the adjustables outsell the non-adjustables 10 to 1.

·
225 Posts
Terry, I dont want to get in a pissing match with you... I got Angry becuase in the above post you threw my product under the bus.....I have no problem with you guys as competitors. Just dont throw me under the bus and I wont hit you with a tank. And PLEASE Dont make Cliams about something that you are gussing at. Saying that Donahoe Racing Coil-overs dont work as well as Yours on the rocks is a GUESS...YOu have no Idea about that. the only way Both of our customers whould EVER know that is to test drive them both.

Thats all.....Kiss hug...Makeup.... Sorry I was over the top...

P.s. I know how many wins Walker Evans has. I worked for him for a number of years and still work with him on lots of projects.

I have to go to the Terrible Town Off-road Race now... Which If I remember right from the pre-run has a TON OF ROCKS ON THE COURSE. HE HE....SO I wont be around to post for a few days so... BE NICE BIATCH!

·
225 Posts
No sweat, I'd love to run both on the same trail and let the results speak for themselves.

I'm all for it.. We would need some Judges that have Kings or Sway-a-ways on there FJ's. Someone who has no Favortisim with either company.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm all for it.. We would need some Judges that have Kings or Sway-a-ways on there FJ's. Someone who has no Favortisim with either company.
Even though i dont have a FJ I'll be willing to let yall test use my truck..im going to Tellico june1-3 with SETO and TTORA
i could use some help with a lift:) ill give a complete unbiased thought since i havnt even seen either of the two products in action..:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would offer up my truck, but I personally helped install the Walker Evans Coil overs and know what a pain the reservoir is to install and then rode in it, and it left much to be desired, then I rode in a truck with the Donahoes and well it was like day and night.

DONAHOE, ANSWER MY FREAKING QUESTION!!! :p

PS- Question was is light racing and donahoe the same brand?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts