TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My broken parts: Stock 'outer' SA Asin hub gear (driver rear), Longfield 4340 inner hub gear (Driver rear), slightly fubard rear 4340 FF axle shaft (Driver rear), ripped a rear break line off (drivers side). Pass Rear tail lens, driver front corner lens, FROR transfer-case skid plate is beyond bent to shit... both mirrors are gone, oh and the best one I bent my front housing BADLY.
Body damage: Drivers door has new damage, drivers bedside rearranged, and more scrapes, gouges and marks on my housings/drive-shafts, bumpers, skid and sliders than I care to think about.

Mike's Carnage: Clutch... yeah lets just say he can't get the rig to move under its own power, no drive gears. Clutch doesn't engage. His trip was cut short after Claw Hammer on Friday Night.

Dan's Carnage: Two Grade 8 5/8" bolts on each side of his steering (holding his hyrdro arms to his knuckles. One CTM D44 U-joint, he broke two opposing pieces of the cross off (caps OK, Warn Chromo shafts OK, gears OK), one wheel, and put a cut/hole in the side wall of another tire. Oh and his CO2 regulator was leaking so he ended up not having air for his ARB's.
Dan obviously got more body damage... but it blends in with the rest.

When I broke the hub gears it was just a fluke break on Claw Hammer, at night, I backed down a bad line, the suspension settled and BAM... no more. We originally thought I broke the driver rear axle shaft, after de-beading the driver rear tire (inner bead), and I tore the break line off the caliper in... same side! Not to mention my Driver Rear axle seal was leaking like a siv. We winched/drove out of claw hammer. I lost my breaks (after I tore the line) killed my battery with my winch (charged back up after we got out of Claw Hammer...I broke my tail light lens, and front corner lens on Outer Limits, but suffered no mechanical failure, just dented my drivers door twice, ripped the mirror off. Then my drivers bedside got re-arranged.

I Bent my front housing being stupid driving back to camp accost the lake bed. I didn't see a crossing ATV trail and hit it at around 45-50 mph. Bending the housing right after the Sky Mfg. Truss, and the pumpkin on the pass side. We pulled the toe in as much as possible and just drove home. I tore my tires up, but it is what it is... oh and it handles like shit now!

BUT even with all of that, it was a superb trip. The weather could have been warmer (18* one night, and supposedly 8* the next), but there was very little wind. The raffle was great to me, I won an Advanced Adapters Dual Case adapter (which is now in the grateful hands of my buddy Mike) and a set of Hi-Pinion 5.29's for a toy 8" diff. So I now have a spare set of front gears, and Mike will get his Dual Cases a bit faster. Claw Hammer was fun, till I grenade the hub gears, then it was flat out stupid hard. The trail was full of loose rock, dirt and sand. Outer Limits was a BLAST, it is by far the hardest trail I have ever run, and my rig exceeded my expectations. The last two obstacles were the hardest, and for a couple minutes we didn't think our rigs would get through. Sledge Hammer was fun, harder than Claw Hammer, but no where close to Outer Limits. It had its difficult sections, but I put the rig into compound low twice, and locked the front twice.

I do want to say thank you to All Pro for putting this event on, it was great! Thanks for the raffle prizes too. :)

Dan, buddy, thanks for giving me pointers and making me a better wheeler! Oh and "Rear Diff!" :flipoff1:

I will be back to Johnson Valley again, I’m addicted now!!!! I really need a tow rig and a trailer. :(

Photo Album of Claw Hammer, Outer Limits, and Sledge Hammer

Sorry for the shitty quality pictures that look like they were taken with a camera phone. I don't know why my digi cam is taking such horrible pictures.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Looks like a bangin' good time... But I only see two trucks :confused:...
(This just reminds me why I never want to put my junk on those trails... cause it's just not beat up enough yet... LOL)

Dang that's a lot of... - toe/camber... :eek:
(Amazingly you keep bringing that rig back to life... LOL)

Yer gonna be busy now fixin' 'er again... New axle ?.. ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
I see Bling is still taking all the pussy lines :p

you guys are all nuts, LOL

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Holy shit I think that's the most bent front axle I've ever seen :eek: Amazing job on your front axle and pictures Chris, always enjoyable :) I'm not quite sure I'm ready for the Hammers yet LOL

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dell, Yeah I'm putting a new front housing under it. I have one in storage so all I have to do is add some gussets and new shock mounts. As for two trucks... we got back to camp around 2AM after I broke on Claw Hammer. It took me roughly 2 hours to fix what I broke on the rear axle, and to reseal the leaky seal... and plug my torn break line. We missed the group run.

Chris, Dan was taking the easiest lines there, I couldn't belive what a mall wheeler he is due to the fact that he's in Colorado now. The fun part is, most of those lines WERE the only lines that got us through the trail, my wheel base was about perfect and I didn't get nearly as many wheelstands. Yes we are crazy, but that doesn't mean you are staying away from JV!!!!

Brian, Wheeee! Put it this way, aside from the bent housing... I prepared myself for breaking parts and re-arranged sheetmetal. Our Rigs did amazing through these trails, specifically Outer Limits and Sledge Hammer. I can't wait to get back there and run Wreaking ball and various others!

Marc, I don't blame you for going to Superstition 9, if you are not ready for this kind of damage... the hammers is not the place to be! Weather was ~30's durring the day too. My ambient air temp gauge routinly read "ice ice ice" lol!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
hytenor said:
I see Bling is still taking all the pussy lines :p

you guys are all nuts, LOL
Isn't that why yer converting yer junk...

...To be squirrel fodder as well ?..
Got to have balls if you want to get some nuts... LOL

Fark... I need to get a beater...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Damn! Looks like you all had an awsome time Chris! Looks like a blast:) thats some major carnage there.. not to mention breaking ctm's and 4340s.. I mean.. DAYUM...LOL Glad to hear mikey made it through fairly unscathed...:) think he wants my 80s topshift t case yet?? Take care..and have fun fixing all that.. its only a couple weeks worth of work for ya now...LOL

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dunk said:
Damn! Looks like you all had an awsome time Chris! Looks like a blast:) thats some major carnage there.. not to mention breaking ctm's and 4340s.. I mean.. DAYUM...LOL Glad to hear mikey made it through fairly unscathed...:) think he wants my 80s topshift t case yet?? Take care..and have fun fixing all that.. its only a couple weeks worth of work for ya now...LOL

um think....I do man. Chris won me a dual case adapter so Im gonna need that case. Well really just the crawl box part. PM me on how much shipped to my casa man. Gotta start collecting parts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dunk said:
Yeah man, it was an awesome time! Defenetly fun, but holy shit it was COLD!

Mike didn't get away unscathed.. his clutch is toast! I had to push him into the garrage with the beater!

Couple weeks? LOL Thats a good one! :flipoff1: I'm just glad it's not my DD, and I don't have the time to take off school to wheel! lol It's going to take a couple months before that pig is back on the dirt again, if not longer.

Replace the front housing, IE I need to put different shock mounts on, a mount for my hyrdo, knuckle ball gussets, and shave the diff plug the other housing I have.
Push out drivers door handle, its keeping my window from rolling all the way down w/o pushing the window down.
Build a belly pan, FROR skid is toast... flat out toast. I think it's ripping where it goes under the front output, or it is atleast bent beyond repair.
Re-seal pass side rear spindle to housing and rear diff.
Replace Longfield hubgear, and outer hub gear on drivers side
Replace DS rear axle shaft
, I'll finnaly have a spare.
Replace rear brake pads
Replace ds rear brake line
Replace front turn signal
Replace rear tail light
Change out turbo and redo entire exhaust
Adjust my clutch
Adjust parking brake
Figure out where my PS leak is.
(minor.. almost seaping, but annoying)
Replace CB cable... some how it got ripped off the bottom of my antenna?

Its crazy how much mechanical failure I had, and I was going EASY on the rig. I honeslty don't know how the hub gear failed. I wasn't on it!

I'm just glad I had the spare parts and tools needed to get me back running again while still out there!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TacoDell said:
Fark... I need to get a beater...

Why in the world would YOU need a beater? You wouldn't use it! :neener:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
generalee7 said:
Holy shit I think that's the most bent front axle I've ever seen :eek: Amazing job on your front axle and pictures Chris, always enjoyable :) I'm not quite sure I'm ready for the Hammers yet LOL
dude hammers trip this year, we gotta go! :D I've been meaning to go for the last several years, but something always comes up.
Great pictars, sorry about all your carnage.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PappaF2 said:
dude hammers trip this year, we gotta go! :D I've been meaning to go for the last several years, but something always comes up.
Great pictars, sorry about all your carnage.
I'm up for it... pending the rebuild of my leaky, sad looking, broke ass truck and the little time consuming thing called school.

Thanks for the props. Carnage sucks, but it's part of the hammers! I knew it was going to happen, just not this much!

See you out there... I hope!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
valkyrie said:
I am curious, does anyone know how many trucks actually were in attendance?
There were 120 registered... but I have yet to see an actual count. There were over 2000 raffle tickets out...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Lucky13TRD said:
um think....I do man. Chris won me a dual case adapter so Im gonna need that case. Well really just the crawl box part. PM me on how much shipped to my casa man. Gotta start collecting parts

Ok.. well.. its in a crate. I would like what I paid for it.. but since your a bud Ill knock 20$ off of that... so it would be 80 plus shipping. Ill have to check the weight and ship costs this week ok? Id probably do dhl or fedex ground.. whatevers cheapest.. Im assuming you are not in a HUGE hurry.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts