TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brent (Dustpark) and I met Jon from All Pro at Courrtright reservoir on Friday at noon to run Dusy-Ershim and camp at the top of Thompson Hill (Thompson Lake). Getting into the area it was absolutely beautiful and with a reputation like Dusy-Ershim I knew that we were in for an incredible weekend.

Taking in the view of Courtright reservoir.

Heading up Chicken Rock the beginning of Dusy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thompson Hill.

IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/ericmpeters/Dusy-Ershim/SDC11234.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Jon making it look easy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Made it to Thompson Lake by 6:30 and set up camp.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was nice to get up there Friday evening. Now we had the entire Saturday to just relax and explore the area a little. After breakfast we hiked to a lake that was in the area and I will let the pictures do the talking. It wasn’t the warmest day but in the spirit of being up there Brent and I jumped in and it was quite refreshing.

Jon and Brent did a little fishing. Brent ended up catching 18 Brook Trout in about 1 ½ hours, they released them all.

The 08’ and up Toyota’s come equipped with a TPS (Tire Pressure Sensor) sensors. The valve stems are metal and no good in the rocks. Any one running them offroad should remove and replace them with rubber valves. On the way up Friday I sheared the end of one them making it impossible to refill the tire with air or even check the air pressure. I found out Sunday morning that it did leak a little. We packed up early and were off in the 40 degree morning leaving camp at 8am. By 8:30 I blew a bead on that same tire.

20 minutes and we were back on track heading down the 11 mile stretch Thompson Hill to Voyager Rock.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The descent back down Chicken Rock to Voyager Rock. At this point there is still 4 miles before reaching Courtright reservoir.

This was such an awesome trip and epic run. Jon and Brent’s rigs made it through with no dings and no damage. I on the other hand blew a bead on 1 tire, added 3 new dings, broke 1 rock light, broke out the passenger tail light and blew a rear Icon shock. I just bought a set of Walker Evans 2.5 rears but didn’t have time to install them before the trip so I couldn’t have picked them up at a better time. The front WE’s I just installed a little over a week ago and they performed flawlessly. The trail had a ton of tight places to fit through with rocks making it tippy. Any long wheel based rigs will definitely face a bigger challenge.
On the way up before we hit Thompson Hill we passed a group of about 6 or 7 Jeeps. They too planned to camp at Thompson Lake. On Saturday 2 of them made it up and told us that 2 of the Jeeps broke down about a mile before the hill. On our way out we passed them again and they said they had repaired the Jeeps and tried to go up Thompson but one of them broke again making it a long night for repairs on the hill. They asked us, “How’d those FJ’s do”?
We did not see one other person the entire time.
I cannot be more proud of my FJ taking me to places like this. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Dusy is such an awesome trail! I ran it about a month ago.. through the whole trail... and believe me there are tighter spots! I have a D-Cab 2nd gen, and while it is longer than an FJC, it's also narrower... I'd say it's a wash between the two. Glad you had fun on the trail... next time, take 5 days and run it all the way... the only other hard spot is right at the very end by White Bark Vista. On the run we went on, we had an SAS FJC, and they ran it almost completely without touching anything. Oh, and watch out for the TREE!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
you make me jealous

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. We did indeed have a blast. I plan on running the entire trail next summer, just need to take a week off for it.:)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I definitely want in on that run next summer. Might be a challenge in my IFS d-cab on 33's, but I hear that all of us who made it through Swamp are capable of making Dusy - plus my rig got new gears and front locker since that Swamp Lake run, which can't hurt. Sounds ike a good test of driving skill and sturdiness of the builds. Can't wait.

Sorry about the carnage. Did anyone need to take a strap or winch on the run? Lots of use of sliders and skids I suppose? Looks a lot like Swamp Lake in terms of the powdery soil and size of the rocks. Great scenery, and the fishing is going to be a plus. Going to have to bring the tackle along for this one so I can snag some brookies too. Thanks for posting the pics and trail report. :kewl:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
E-Rocker.. forgot to say, nice post and excellent write up!

Dusy is a really awesome trail. A few things though: It is LONG-32 Miles of rocks & trees with a few 'easy' stretches. 1st thing is, the trail is maintained (VERY WELL!!) by Fresno Jeep club, and dimensionally maintained for Jeep width and lengths.. it's tight: Tree's and rocks are seemingly placed to put themselves at odds with your vehicle passing through...the biggest secret is to take every turn WIDE, to line up for the next set of skinny tree's! :D 2nd thing is to be prepared and have your vehicle in top shape, bring spares, tools and bring extra fuel (especially FJC's & 4-Runners). Last time through for me, there was a lot of vehicle repair work; welding, spare parts and a lot of elbow grease got the trucks to the finish line. I don't want to put folks off, as it doesn't take all that well of a set up vehicle to make it through, but that will take a toll on the others with you, and it's seriously remote, gotta be prepared.... and then enjoy the best recreational trail there is... you could probably do the trail in 2 days... it would suck...spending 4, 5 or even more to explore the many lakes and taking in the scenery is the real way to enjoy it!

Stealth- your truck would be do fine on the trail (bring a spare tranny mount :cool:); yes, bring the fishing pole!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Haha, Yep, already have a spare tranny mount in the spares box. So far so good on this one, and its seen some stress on the trails already. So I'm hoping its all good on that front. :p 4 or 5 days sounds like a fun way to do this run to me as well.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Dusy is defiantly on my To Do list for this up coming year...and the Rubicon too!

NorCal TTORA usually does the Con so maybe i'll tag along with them on the next go round :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Nice pics. Looks like you all had a great time. All the rigs are sick!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stealth 4x4......previously said:
Sorry about the carnage. Did anyone need to take a strap or winch on the run? Lots of use of sliders and skids I suppose? Looks a lot like Swamp Lake in terms of the powdery soil and size of the rocks. Great scenery, and the fishing is going to be a plus. Going to have to bring the tackle along for this one so I can snag some brookies too. Thanks for posting the pics and trail report.
Well, the carnage I happily must accept running a trail like this. The only thing missing from the pics are all the tight spots. Trees are literally placed perfect so that you are having to work your way through and constantly watching every angle. Even then you still end up tipping suddenly on one end and there you are against a tree. I don't think I have ever used my sliders as much as I did on Dusy. If I had the money I would go back next weekend. We all made it through with no winch or use of a strap. The trail was a lot like Swamp was. Swamp is at about 8,000 ft and when you get to Thompson Lake you're at 10,000 ft. I did not get bit by one mesquito (unlike swamp).:p

MonkeyProof.....previously said:
you make me jealous
Aw don't be jealous.:D Really though, I look forward to you being on the next one and seeing the Tacoma fit through those tight tree spots with the longer wheel base and width of the FJ.:D

Mr Tacomi......previously said:
E-Rocker.. forgot to say, nice post and excellent write up!

Dusy is a really awesome trail. A few things though: It is LONG-32 Miles of rocks & trees with a few 'easy' stretches. 1st thing is, the trail is maintained (VERY WELL!!) by Fresno Jeep club, and dimensionally maintained for Jeep width and lengths.. it's tight: Tree's and rocks are seemingly placed to put themselves at odds with your vehicle passing through...the biggest secret is to take every turn WIDE, to line up for the next set of skinny tree's! 2nd thing is to be prepared and have your vehicle in top shape, bring spares, tools and bring extra fuel (especially FJC's & 4-Runners). Last time through for me, there was a lot of vehicle repair work; welding, spare parts and a lot of elbow grease got the trucks to the finish line. I don't want to put folks off, as it doesn't take all that well of a set up vehicle to make it through, but that will take a toll on the others with you, and it's seriously remote, gotta be prepared.... and then enjoy the best recreational trail there is... you could probably do the trail in 2 days... it would suck...spending 4, 5 or even more to explore the many lakes and taking in the scenery is the real way to enjoy it!
When running the entire trail next summer we plan on having 5 days and plenty of fuel and extra parts. Hopefully we can keep it down to less than 5 rigs. I dought that everyone that ran Swamp with us will be up for this one. By the end of the return to Courtright reservior I realized that the rest of the trail would still be another 10 or so miles (considering 11 to Thompson Lake and 11 back). The time it takes while constantly watching will take it's toll on anyone and the trail will definately take a toll on the most equiped rig. The scenery on the trail is outstanding. I was thankful we went up Friday and had all of saturday to relax up there. Very remote and secluded. I hope to be prepared:kewl:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts