TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to add a tow package to my truck for work but I have all-pro's rear bumper on my truck. I know the receiver on there is only a recovery point so I don't want to try and tow with it. Is there anyway I could space a receiver so it bolted to the frame and sat below it (one on top of the other?) Or could I cut off the recovery point and put a receiver so the hitch sat in the same place as the recovery point? I called all-pro and they said that the bumper bolts to where the receiver would usually bolt so something has to be modified. Has anybody done something so they can use a class 3 hitch with an all pro bumper or other aftermarket bumper?

AJ

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hopefully someone has, i'd love to do it to mine. I've towed things with it, but in hindsight it wasn't a great idea:(.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I don't see any way short of :saw: and :welder:...

You'd have to cut and reweld the AP plates... side support tube and move them outboard 1/4" each side... Maybe even change/move the short vertical tube as well so the plate would be re-centered on that tube when you re-weld it... It could be done...

I've been eyeballing this as well...

But for me... It's just easier to bolt the ole' Putman and stock bumper back on if I need to tow...

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've had the same thoughts with my truck. The conclusion I came to is to buy and install the hitch, and get a bumper made up. I'm looking at getting a similar bumper fabbed up for ~$300 locally.

Other than that, I'd say you're looking at completely reworking the mounting of the bumper, and then some.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Has anyone towed with the A/P bumper? I'm going to tow a small (17') pop-up-trailer to the A/P run in Jan. It should be OK, don't you think?? The hitch weight is 129, and the axle weight is 1280.(dry) GVW is 1409 approx.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only towing I've done with mine is pulling my dad's trailer out of the mud because he doesn't have four wheel drive. It was fine for that but I just wouldn't feel save towing on the road with it. If anything happened and the hitch failed, it would be 100% my fault and I don't need that burden.

As far as :saw: and :welder:, I line-x'ed my bumpers so it makes it a little difficult, but still possible. The only thing I need to tow for work is small utility trailers with walk-behind trenchers and tillers, things like that.

AJ

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
jdblatt said:
Has anyone towed with the A/P bumper? I'm going to tow a small (17') pop-up-trailer to the A/P run in Jan. It should be OK, don't you think?? The hitch weight is 129, and the axle weight is 1280.(dry) GVW is 1409 approx.
I've towed on the highway with mine. It was my dad's 16' Zodiac. Total weight was around 1900 lbs.

HOWEVER!

I made sure buy suitable safety chains which extend from the trailer to the frame braces of the bumper and NOT to the hitch.

Is it DOT approved...nope. But with the safety chains connected to the frame braces, I drive around with a lot more peace of mind.

~Miguel

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i towed my buddies 18' boat a few times but i also put 1/2" grade 8 blots thru bumper and tack welded bumper to frame in spots and also ran the safety chains to the frame. but now i have a tundra so im going to cut the receiver part totally off bumper for more clearence

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Thanks peeps.. That is the info I was looking for.. :) Make sure the chains get to the frame supports. Thanks again, I will sleep better knowing this.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I added a brace made from 3/16" thick square tubing to mine for a better tow rating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts