TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dang so I go to mount up the new 33" spare tire and damn if it isn't too close for comfort... Even butted all the way up to the reciever tube it still looks awfully close to the axle... I don't want that dang spare in my bed :(

The only thing I can see to do is to hack off some of the reciever tube and reweld the support a tad shorter...

Anyone else with the rear AP bumper and a 33 out back have to do this ?

Not to mention my freshly installed exhaust tail pipe is awfully close to the tire (it dumps right there between the tire and the spring and has barely a 1/2" to either side)... Think there is enough heat there to cause the tire to get damaged ?

Edited...

OK so here's how it fits... I had to cut off the spare tire support (bars) tips (at the downward bend) on the trailing end of the truck (left the forward ones in place so that it would push it rearward against the reciever tube of the AP bumper)... I don't really like the looks of the shortened support bars... as it looks as if it could cause abrasion or even maybe cut into the sidewall of the spare... I put some leather padding in between the support end and the tire to minimize the rub and wear on the sidewall (For now)... If I did it again... I beat the hell outta them until they were flat (But this was easier :D )...

It would look as if I have about 1/2" clearence between the drivers side spring (protruding nut) and 1/2" between the tailpipe, then another 1/2" between the passenger spring... It's hard to tell for sure on the space of the spare and rear pumpkin... But it may be just enough :dunno: (Don't hit on the street though)... Now keep in mind these BFG's are 285/75/16's so the actual diameter is 33.1"... If yer running 33/1150/15's you'll have a tad more room...

I don't like the fact that it hangs that low in the rear... So I guess I will have to come up with a way to stow and secure the tire in the bed when wheelin'... At least on the more difficult trails... Trying to keep the rig civil and retain the use of my bed for sleeping in is going to be compromise it would seem... But at least for the street... It's in there... ;)

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt the AP bumper receiver could hold the weight of that 33 with a Wheeler's steely mounted like that...

Francisco (PathTaco) has a Demello built bumper/tire carrier on the back with the frame reinforcement plates and the frame is sagging with that weight hanging off the back... albeit... that Demello Bumper/Tire mount weighs a shitload :eek: ...

I want to do my best to keep it under the truck... It's close... a nip and tuck here or there and I'll get er done...

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I was thinking bout gettn' the AP rear bumper... Hmm.. might have to reconsider... I also still have to make minor adjustments to the tire carrier underneath the truck.. it slightly rubs on the spings and doesnt' quite fit in perfectly... the exhaust clears fine.. but yea.. this is good info to know before I get their bumper...

Keep the tire underneath.. then when you whell throw it in yer bed... thas what Im planning on doing for future runs... However.. I knoe you carry a lot of shiat when you wheel... ha ha

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Dell... take a breath. Everything will be ok. Next time I am working on my truck, come over and we will take a look at it. I think you are probably :eek: for no reasion.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
my 33 spare hits the axel at full compression. happened to me in ocotillo, it bent the bracket the e-brake cable goes through, so the e-brake was stuck on. couldnt make it up blowsand with my rear tires draggin. ended up costing miguelitro a fender flare lol

oh yea, put it in the bed you pansy :D

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wgasa84 said:
Dell... take a breath. Everything will be ok. Next time I am working on my truck, come over and we will take a look at it. I think you are probably :eek: for no reasion.
Breathing... ;)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
adamgil said:
CBI makes a fold down tire/hi-lift carrier that fits into the reciever. this may be an option?
Cool, that is an option I had not seen before...am gonna check out CBI... :rolleyes:

Just heard back from Steve @ CBI, $250ish plus shipping. Looks to be a great product. Hopefully my accountant (aka: wife) will give the OK after the first of the year...I can't wait till the kids are outta the house, gonna be like getting a raise!

Adamgil: thanks for the pictures...looks good..

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
drabnor said:
my 33 spare hits the axel at full compression. happened to me in ocotillo, it bent the bracket the e-brake cable goes through, so the e-brake was stuck on. couldnt make it up blowsand with my rear tires draggin. ended up costing miguelitro a fender flare lol

oh yea, put it in the bed you pansy :D
Yeah I'm a pansy ...
and like to sleep in my truck bed when the SoCal sand is...

blowing to hell

Like it was last year at JT (I was comfy... While many pansied out and went home :rolleyes: )... No matter where I put it it's got to be bolted down... I don't want that shiat floppin' around... This pansy will manage some recourse ;)... Critter will give me a :clap:... so I'll be aw'rite
... (Though usually I just get certain parts of his hands... these being his favorites :flipoff1: )... LOL

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
TacoDell said:
Yeah I'm a pansy ...
and like to sleep in my truck bed when the SoCal sand is...

blowing to hell

Like it was last year at JT (I was comfy... While many pansied out and went home :rolleyes: )... No matter where I put it it's got to be bolted down... I don't want that shiat floppin' around... This pansy will manage some recourse ;)... Critter will give me a :clap:... so I'll be aw'rite
... (Though usually I just get certain parts of his hands... these being his favorites :flipoff1: )... LOL
i sleep in mine too, you take the tire out

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
drabnor said:
i sleep in mine too, you take the tire out
I have a BedRug ($$) W/Shell and I don't want a shittly ole tire farking my comfy sleeping quarters all to hell...

But I'm sure you have a cure for that too... LOL

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
TacoDell said:
I have a BedRug ($$) W/Shell and I don't want a shittly ole tire farking my comfy sleeping quarters all to hell...

But I'm sure you have a cure for that too... LOL

ah, didnt know you had carpeting back there, must be much comfyer than my line-x and chromoly

·
Registered
629 Posts
you could always take the spare out of the bed when its time to got night night. :p Get a cable and lock it to your slider or something?

I am interested in yer solution cuz I am running a lid now and probably gonna roll with the AP rear bumper too.

the lid is soooo much better than this - :camping:

PS - Goin for lobsters again this weekend.
I will keep you updated... ;)

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn... You can sleep back there ?
For some reason... I see you getting a little gritty when the sand is blowing... :dunno:

Oh and when we going to make that run... Something local... day run maybe...

We could go check out the Poppit Flats burn area...I was out there farting around 2 weeks back... Nothing real challenging that I know... But haven't wheeled enough in that area (San Jacinto Range) to know for sure... But a chance for me to test out all the new stuff on my rig... They're marked Forestry trails... Can even do some shooting on the lower end... legally... Starts out in Hemet (east) and can take you up to Pine Cove, Poppit Flats area and even spills out near Banning (I-10)... If yer interested in that or something else... lets do it...

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
That's what a tarp is for. I usually pull the "L" in the cab. Lucky13TRD knows what's up with that...but not in a gay way of course. You should hit some whoops in that thing Dell and see how well it's put together I think, Barstow would be appropriate :D

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
TacoDell said:
Damn... You can sleep back there ?
For some reason... I see you getting a little gritty when the sand is blowing... :dunno:

Oh and when we going to make that run... Something local... day run maybe...

We could go check out the Poppit Flats burn area...I was out there farting around 2 weeks back... Nothing real challenging that I know... But haven't wheeled enough in that area (San Jacinto Range) to know for sure... But a chance for me to test out all the new stuff on my rig... They're marked Forestry trails... Can even do some shooting on the lower end... legally... Starts out in Hemet (east) and can take you up to Pine Cove, Poppit Flats area and even spills out near Banning (I-10)... If yer interested in that or something else... lets do it...
either that or the wildomar ohv area, thats about the only place i know of thats close by

if we go to poppit ill bring my 12 ga. and my .22 to plink with. gotta clean them both first though

i really want to find out wth is up with my 4wd first, i havent had the $ to buy enough gear oil to drain my front diff and look for chunks

i should be able to get some gear oil this weekend then maybe we can go wheeling next saturday or something

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ocdropzone said:
I can't wait till the kids are outta the house, gonna be like getting a raise!

haha, thats what you think

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
drabnor said:
either that or the wildomar ohv area, thats about the only place i know of thats close by

if we go to poppit ill bring my 12 ga. and my .22 to plink with. gotta clean them both first though

i really want to find out wth is up with my 4wd first, i havent had the $ to buy enough gear oil to drain my front diff and look for chunks

i should be able to get some gear oil this weekend then maybe we can go wheeling next saturday or something

Sounds good... get er done... I have some used gear oil laying around... Hell if there is chunks in the diff it wouldn't matter what you put back in there ;) ... ha ha

1 - 20 of 34 Posts