TTORA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here is my first attempt at doing any metal work...

Ok so I found out that I suck at welding at this point :(...
And have alot of learning to do...

Anyhow I got the bumper reinforced and that is all I care...

I started using mig... and that wasn't working for me... so I reverted back to flux... which was easier for me... Though the splatter sucks...

Whatever...

So I added a 2X2 sq stock between the support plates... raised 2 1/2" above the original receiver tube... Though I wanted it centered horizontally to the upper and lower edges of the bumper... I didn't want the inside of the tube exposed to the elements due to the holes located on the all-pro mount plates so I raised it just above those... (I was too lazy and cheap to add endplates to the sq stock ends)... I used a piece of the 2X2 stock as a riser (cut at 2 1/2")... I ground the weld down on the riser (forward side) to where it was welded to the reciever tube and found I suck at grinding as well... LOL... I also had to remove the filler plates so that I could weld all 4 sides of the 2X2 to the endplates... New ones will go back on later... Maybe... depending on how lazy I am... The horizontal sq stock is welded and gusseted to the license plate box also... And the original reciever tube also received some gusseting...

here's some pics of what I was trying to accomplish...
It is what it is... I should stick to something I know... like... wood work... as welding seems to be unfriendly to me... Unfortunately... My truck is not made of wood... sigh

also tied in the spare tire supports to the Bumper...

OK... you can all laugh now...

Thankfully... I learned alot of stuff and made plenty of mistakes... But at least it should get the job done...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Good job with the first tme fab, looks stout as hell. BTW just what were you trying to improve upon, your tow weight perhaps? In any case good stuff.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
What made you want to do this? Was it not strong enough as it was? I have the same bumper and haven't had a problem in the least with it being weak. Just seems like more work than it's worth with minimal gain...I mean, good job and all...but I would have rather just sat around and pound some beerz.

~Miguel

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
What made you want to do this? Was it not strong enough as it was? I have the same bumper and haven't had a problem in the least with it being weak. Just seems like more work than it's worth with minimal gain...I mean, good job and all...but I would have rather just sat around and pound some beerz.

~Miguel
What you have to realize about Dell is..........that he sits at home all day, and he is bored shitless. He has to figure out what to do to his truck, and he gets ideas, and figures that he can learn how to do stuff. Then he does them. He is wierd like that. :)

Looks good Dell!:D

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What you have to realize about Dell is..........that he sits at home all day, and he is bored shitless. He has to figure out what to do to his truck, and he gets ideas, and figures that he can learn how to do stuff. Then he does them. He is wierd like that. :)

LOL... Well that's about the sad truth of it :eek:...

But besides that...

I wanted to improve the towing capability... ie... tongue weight and twisting strength... I wouldn't have tried to tow with it before doing this...
And though it has been fairly stout... for wheelin' as a recovery point... There's is always more reasons to strengthen it then not... It should be able to tow anything the the lousy frame rails could handle ( and that is on the list of improvements )...

( But mostly this was practice before I start welding shiat to the frame... and what Darren said... fawker:flipoff3: )

I was going to run the receiver thru the License plate box... and may still do that later...
If I get hung up too many times with it hanging off the bottom :(...

Bottom line... what else am I suppose to do with the welder I bought :confused:...

Oh it's a Lincoln 175 HD... 'cause someone asked...
Welds look good for flux but were they able to get good penetration? What welder do you have?
Yeah I got good penetration/colors with the flux... But the mig wasn't cutting it... Maybe it's the .025 or maybe my shielding gas wasn't set properly... wire speed maybe as well... I've got plenty of learning to do... Before I work on something critical...

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
OK... you can all laugh now...

Thankfully... I learned alot of stuff and made plenty of mistakes... But at least it should get the job done...
Welds look like they will hold nicely to hell with what they look like so long as they are gonna hold and your happy with the outcome. , I've seen alot worse recently :lmao:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Good starting project. One positive thing I see is the fitment of the cross-brace. All good welds start with a tight fit. That being said - next time you weld gussets follow a bead around the leading edges as well. What's next on the fab list?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You'll get it Dell. It looks pretty good, so keep at it. It's all about the practice. To reduce your spatter, clean the black scale off the metal for 1/8" all the way around where you are welding. That scale will cause some porosity, and spatter.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

You know Dell too? I'm sorry!:D

I think it looks good too. I think the worse-looking welds penetrated better than the nice looking ones. I'm thinking the fluxed welds are the smooth beads but they don't look like they penetrated both sides of metal that well. I say stick with the gas and brush and grind after. Just my :2cents: Maybe some serious welders will lurk on here soon and give their expert opinion.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but I do know that practce makes perfect. If your wondering about penetration, weld some scrap metal and then cut the weld to see how it went. I know that some of my booger welds had actually penetrated quite well. Keep up the self-fabricating work - there's nothing like rolling with stuff you built yourself. You certaintly have only one person to blame if anything fails.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welds look like they will hold nicely to hell with what they look like so long as they are gonna hold and your happy with the outcome. , I've seen alot worse recently :lmao:
That's true... but booger welds tend to corrode more easily is my guess...

Good starting project. One positive thing I see is the fitment of the cross-brace. All good welds start with a tight fit. That being said - next time you weld gussets follow a bead around the leading edges as well. What's next on the fab list?

I'm no expert by any means but I do know that practce makes perfect. If your wondering about penetration, weld some scrap metal and then cut the weld to see how it went. I know that some of my booger welds had actually penetrated quite well. Keep up the self-fabricating work - there's nothing like rolling with stuff you built yourself. You certaintly have only one person to blame if anything fails
Yeah this was a very tight fit... Had to beat it in there with a hammer... Hence some denting to the sq tube... I was hoping to spread the mounts slightly as my bumper mounts were always a little tight to mount up... But after all the welding... I think it shrunk even more... Shit... I had to spread it back open a little with my Hi Lift in order to get it back on... Another lesson learned about heat and metal... Shrinkage :(

You'll get it Dell. It looks pretty good, so keep at it. It's all about the practice. To reduce your spatter, clean the black scale off the metal for 1/8" all the way around where you are welding. That scale will cause some porosity, and spatter.
Think going to .030 on the mig would help some for a thicker weld (single pass) over the .025 ?
Oh and I had the joints clean to the metal... and even wire brushed the opposing sides after the welds... as they tended to get dirty after the weld

You know Dell too? I'm sorry!:D

I think it looks good too. I think the worse-looking welds penetrated better than the nice looking ones. I'm thinking the fluxed welds are the smooth beads but they don't look like they penetrated both sides of metal that well. I say stick with the gas and brush and grind after. Just my :2cents: Maybe some serious welders will lurk on here soon and give their expert opinion.
For you... I only have this... :flipoff1:

Thanks guys... I learned a lot on this project... But mostly a new found respect for those who know their shiat when it comes to welding skills... ;)

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
That's true... but booger welds tend to corrode more easily is my guess...

Yeah this was a very tight fit... Had to beat it in there with a hammer... Hence some denting to the sq tube... I was hoping to spread the mounts slightly as my bumper mounts were always a little tight to mount up... But after all the welding... I think it shrunk even more... Shit... I had to spread it back open a little with my Hi Lift in order to get it back on... Another lesson learned about heat and metal... Shrinkage :(

Think going to .030 on the mig would help some for a thicker weld (single pass) over the .025 ?
Oh and I had the joints clean to the metal... and even wire brushed the opposing sides after the welds... as they tended to get dirty after the weld

For you... I only have this... :flipoff1:

Thanks guys... I learned a lot on this project... But mostly a new found respect for those who know their shiat when it comes to welding skills... ;)

just keep on and keep on praticing after a week or so your welds will look like this

I had *Decent welds before joining shrockworks been with them since Jan21'st time frame now they are :cool:

·
Registered
629 Posts
bump-
I got the All Pro bumper and the mods done by Dell.
Dell made the bumper rock solid!!! :welder:

Whatever Dell charges to beef-a-bumper...its money well spent! :kewl:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
pics of yer scrap metal...

After welding up three... and getting a little more practice time :kewl: ... I guess I'm done working for peanuts... Or maybe... I'm just done with those all together... LOL

Next... :dunno:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts