TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Specifically the bolt on versions...

Snuffy bought a set of these for his '03 D cab...

And all I can say is... what a pita...

These were not redesigned to fit the D cab... :(

They fit well on the ext. cab... But the D cab is another critter... :sigh:

The outer stand offs/plates are too close to the body supports... but are do able... (I suppose you could trim a little here)

But the real problems could be avoided if the most forward and most rearward stand offs would have been moved in 1 inch (fore and aft center of truck) ...

Since they're not...

You have to grind a little of the welds on both forward and rearward body supports to give enough room for the support plates to fit and get a bead in there... Or trim off a little of the plate edge... No biggie... that's the least of the problems here...

The plates also don't align/cover over the jig holes in the frame and it sucks that you can't run a full weld on the plates vertical edge... I think it was two of the plates with that issue...

But that's still not the worst problem...

The real bad of all this is... that the front of the frame curves inward more then on the ex cab... and this leaves yer forward stand offs and plates nearly 1/2" off the frame... wow...

Wasn't beaten yet though... with some c-clamps... (good or bad) we managed to pull them in enough to get the forward plate to set flush... sorta... well at least the trailing edge... the frame forward of that plate makes a radical bend inward and leaves the forward edge of the plate still with a serious gap... The only way to correct this is to heat the forward edge of the plate and bend it inward to follow the contour of the frame... another pita...

And lasty on the D C's... the bolt that holds the trailing edge of the front fender flare (at the bottom near the pinchweld... protrudes and will hit the slider if left as is)

Bottom line... I would not recommend the AP bolt on sliders for the D C... and would think it wiser to purchase the weld on units so that adjustments could be made with that kit (edited... Ok so this unit has as many or more problems/issues... see below responses)... Or something else all together...

There's no pics... so use yer imagination... But most importantly... Choose a different slider if yer a D C owner... And don't want the headache ;)

And that is all...

well except that I still suck at welding and probably always will
:sigh:

This was definately not an enjoyable learning experience :(

But at least Snuffy and I made light of the whole mess :D

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
i had the weld on sliders and they did not fit as well.. most of the legs ended up in the middle of a body mount.. or where the rear of the frame curves up

i didn't want to deal with the hassle of sending em back and i just welded em on there best i could..

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wait... I thought the weld on version came as kit and then weld the stand offs and mounting plates to the main body of the slider ? I guess I was wrong then... So the stand offs come welded to the body of the slider then ? and you just add the plates and gussets ?

If so then neither are a good thing for the DC... I guess

And yeah... sometimes ya just gotta make shit work ;)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Wait... I thought the weld on version came as kit and then weld the stand offs and mounting plates to the main body of the slider ? I guess I was wrong then... So the stand offs come welded to the body of the slider then ? and you just add the plates and gussets ?
yup, they came welded on.. but mine didn't include plates...

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Yup. I used to have them. They came with the legs attached, and no plates. I cut the side of the body mounts in front and back to get them to fit. I also cut 1" off of each leg, and they still hung out too far.

I am suprised that the DC's fit that way considering that they have Sarahs truck to measure out with? Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Specifically the bolt on versions...

Snuffy bought a set of these for his '03 D cab...

And all I can say is... what a pita...

These were not redesigned to fit the D cab... :(

They fit well on the ext. cab... But the D cab is another critter... :sigh:

The outer stand offs/plates are too close to the body supports... but are do able... (I suppose you could trim a little here)

But the real problems could be avoided if the most forward and most rearward stand offs would have been moved in 1 inch (fore and aft center of truck) ...

Since they're not...

You have to grind a little of the welds on both forward and rearward body supports to give enough room for the support plates to fit and get a bead in there... Or trim off a little of the plate edge... No biggie... that's the least of the problems here...

The plates also don't align/cover over the jig holes in the frame and it sucks that you can't run a full weld on the plates vertical edge... I think it was two of the plates with that issue...

But that's still not the worst problem...

The real bad of all this is... that the front of the frame curves inward more then on the ex cab... and this leaves yer forward stand offs and plates nearly 1/2" off the frame... wow...

Wasn't beaten yet though... with some c-clamps... (good or bad) we managed to pull them in enough to get the forward plate to set flush... sorta... well at least the trailing edge... the frame forward of that plate makes a radical bend inward and leaves the forward edge of the plate still with a serious gap... The only way to correct this is to heat the forward edge of the plate and bend it inward to follow the contour of the frame... another pita...

And lasty on the D C's... the bolt that holds the trailing edge of the front fender flare (at the bottom near the pinchweld... protrudes and will hit the slider if left as is)

Bottom line... I would not recommend the AP bolt on sliders for the D C... and would think it wiser to purchase the weld on units so that adjustments could be made with that kit (edited... Ok so this unit has as many or more problems/issues... see below responses)... Or something else all together...

There's no pics... so use yer imagination... But most importantly... Choose a different slider if yer a D C owner... And don't want the headache ;)

And that is all...

well except that I still suck at welding and probably always will
:sigh:

This was definately not an enjoyable learning experience :(

But at least Snuffy and I made light of the whole mess :D
To add to the fun. When I bought my sliders I talked with Terry at AllPro and he recommeded the bolt ons, then weld them on. They come with gussets and backing plates attached. Without a body lift (at least 1") I had to cut out the body pinch welds. Now I have approx 5/8" clearance at the body. There is approx 2" clearance to the bottom of the door when opened. The cab mounts for the Dcab are spaced wider the the Xcab. This being a problem with the outside legs. With the narrower body mount of the Xcab you can possion the sliders an 1" or 2" further back to get away from the forward frame bend. The best design would be to put the standoff legs even with the slider center support leg dividers. They would be even all the way around with max support. This is a job that should have taken approx 4 hrs that took over 8 hrs.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
you think that was hard....try welding some 05 sliders on an 04:banghead:
Yea Dell told me :xcrybaby: :rofl: :xcrazy: :xrocker: :xozzy: :xsmash: :kewl: :doh: :dunno: :aahg: :violin: :jack:
It would have been worth the :xbeer3: and :xpopcorn: to have been around for that one :rolleyes:

PS: Before you have the chance :flipoff1: first

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
shiiit. you better pack a big lunch.
Don't have too. I have me, myself and I to handle things? So that's 3 to 1 right off the bat, and if it comes down to it I do have a round2it when needed!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
your son would stand a better chance.:lmao::flipoff1:
I think you forgot I also have a 23 yr old son :eek: , besides the 8 yr old :p son? Now I can say :neener: :flipoff3: . I'll bring the :xpopcorn: and :xbeer3: for those of us old enough to enjoy :flipoff2: !

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Just did the 03, D-cab weld ons. A small amout of :saw: and :welder: It was a fun job. Took some time, but still fun. I also got some scab plates and welded them and the gussets. It was a PITA, but fun...:2cents:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Just did the 03, D-cab weld ons. A small amout of :saw: and :welder: It was a fun job. Took some time, but still fun. I also got some scab plates and welded them and the gussets. It was a PITA, but fun...:2cents:
Glad to hear someone else has a problem with these sliders (not in a derogatory way)? Don't you think it would be easier if they moved the forward and aft legs at least an inch inward?
How much room do you have between the forward part of the slider and the finder flair nut? Did you have to cut/alter the body pinch welds? Or do you have a body lift?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts