TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've saw the comparison threads between Camburg and Total Chaos. However, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Allpro kit. Im interested in the 2" kits to remain street legal without adding glass fenders.

Does anyone have a true comparison as well in the amount of travel gained? Im currently running icon extended coilovers with light racing uca's. I thought with the extended ICON's u could get 10.5" of wheel travel? So, Allpro offers 12" of travel and Total Chaos 11.5"?

If the difference between the standard extended coilovers and LT coilovers is just one inch then is it really worth the upgrade? I'll be using this kit for every day driving, crawling on occasion, washboard roads and typical class 3 trails.

Any opinions on the kits, comparisons of the three kits would be welcomed. I'd be running this kit on the East coast as well so rust/mud is an issue as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
from my limited knowledge, the benefits of the LT don't necessarily come as much from the coilovers as it does from the longer axles, UCA, and LCA. I have Camburg coilovers and UCA's now and I haven't measured but I'm pretty sure the travel the UCA's/LCA's allow limits the travel, not what the shock is capable of. All-pro also just recently put out a spacer so that you can get their LT and use your aftermarket coilovers until you can get the longer travel Fox Shocks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from my limited knowledge, the benefits of the LT don't necessarily come as much from the coilovers as it does from the longer axles, UCA, and LCA. I have Camburg coilovers and UCA's now and I haven't measured but I'm pretty sure the travel the UCA's/LCA's allow limits the travel, not what the shock is capable of. All-pro also just recently put out a spacer so that you can get their LT and use your aftermarket coilovers until you can get the longer travel Fox Shocks.
Any idea what the real travel #'s are for a set of extended icons with aftermarket uca's? I've been told 10.5".......im just not sure I can justify the price of the LT--Midtravel setup if there is truly only an inch of difference.

I'd like to see a comparison shot between the long travel and standard aftermarket lift to have a visual reference in the difference between the two.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice travel.........16 inches of travel or so?

Im looking to stay a little on the milder side. I doubt the visual difference between a extended coilover setup and a LT 2" setup would have the wow factor that your truck gives. :D

·
Registered
776 Posts
I like my All Pro LT kit, huge improvement over the Icon extended travels and Camburg UCAs i had before.

did great prerunning the ridgecrest course this weekend

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like my All Pro LT kit, huge improvement over the Icon extended travels and Camburg UCAs i had before.

did great prerunning the ridgecrest course this weekend
Do, u have any extension pics for comparison? Do, the tires barely stick out from the flares now? Did u paint the lca's black or is that powdercoated? I was curious if allpro's setup was baremetal of came powdercoated.

20 questions anyone? lol

·
Registered
776 Posts
Do, u have any extension pics for comparison? Do, the tires barely stick out from the flares now? Did u paint the lca's black or is that powdercoated? I was curious if allpro's setup was baremetal of came powdercoated.

20 questions anyone? lol
I will grab some when we put the truck on the rack this week, pictures will be a little off tho since i am running 35s now and ran 33s with the Icons.

they stick out alot more than before, but they are 315s. I have no fender flares and the metal fenders are pretty torn up.

I had my kit custom powdercoated wrinkle black, they come in a light grey

that was only 3 ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to the pics. The allpro kit seems to be a good option for me considering I already have their HD steering kit. Just need longer rods so that will cut down on the price some for me.

Im wondering how much the open bottoms on the LCA will come into play for the situations I encounter. Sliding over rocks and the ability of twigs and stuff to come through and rip a boot.

Does the bottom of the coilover tuck up high so I could weld a metal piece over the bottom of the LCA?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to the pics. The allpro kit seems to be a good option for me considering I already have their HD steering kit. Just need longer rods so that will cut down on the price some for me.

Im wondering how much the open bottoms on the LCA will come into play for the situations I encounter. Sliding over rocks and the ability of twigs and stuff to come through and rip a boot.

Does the bottom of the coilover tuck up high so I could weld a metal piece over the bottom of the LCA?
the heimed steering kit is probably my favorite part of the kit, the truck handles much better and feels more responsive. all pro is the only kit that includes the heimed steering upgrade in the initial purchace i believe and does not charge extra for it

I will go check on how well the shock tucks in there but im sure welding a piece of 1/8" or 10g steel to the arm wouldnt be a problem if you were really concerned about the tubed LCAs. Personally, im not worried about it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
All Pro made a great dual purpose crawler/desert running kit but if you even remotely think about turning your truck into a 4x4 pre-runner style build with front/rear LT suspension then go with Total Chaos or Camburg.

You cant add a secondary shock to All Pro's kit and you wont have a front suspension that can be matched nicely to a long travel SUA setup in the rear. I know that we can all weld tabs on for a secondary shock on theAll Pro LCA and shock hoop up top but the kit wasnt designed for it.

Its a great kit but its like 3/4 of something instead of the whole thing.

·
Registered
776 Posts
All Pro made a great dual purpose crawler/desert running kit but if you even remotely think about turning your truck into a 4x4 pre-runner style build with front/rear LT suspension then go with Total Chaos or Camburg.

You cant add a secondary shock to All Pro's kit and you wont have a front suspension that can be matched nicely to a long travel SUA setup in the rear. I know that we can all weld tabs on for a secondary shock on theAll Pro LCA and shock hoop up top but the kit wasnt designed for it.

Its a great kit but its like 3/4 of something instead of the whole thing.

I think that the Defined Engineering SUA will match up nicely with the All Pro kit in front. I have mine ordered and were probably going to put it on in early sept.

The only downside i can see with the All Pro kit is, like you said Matt, the fact that no secondary shock can be mounted. Travel numbers are pretty close to TC and Camburg, you don't need limit straps and you can always air bump it which is something you cannot do with a TC kit (voids the warranty i was told). I was doing a pretty steady 40ish through the first 7 miles of the SNORE corse this weekend and the kit did great, I could probably have gone faster but the rear suspension was out of control. and on top of all that I still don't have to run glass and Im 3" narrower than the other two. I agree that if desert running were your only vice then All Pro may not be the best choice but for those looking for a true multi purpose kit it is the best option. And it can still bomb through the Dez if you want ;)

:2cents:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I will never turn the yota into a bomber. I just want something with a good amount of travel that will soak up bumps like butter. My location limits the speeds u can really hit because there isn't vast open areas to play in.

I was informed by allpro that im probably getting about 9.5 inches of usable travel with extended ICONS and light racing uca's. So, another 2.5" gain with the LT/MT allpro setup. Not to shabby.

I was told that I would also need to add limit straps if I go with ICONS or SAWS. There WE's and Fox suspensions have the internal stop which elminates the need for limit straps.

So, does the Total chaos system provide limit straps because the shocks and LCA's will actually let u droop past the 12" mark which would cause CV breakage? Curious as to why allpro provides 12" of travel and Camburg/Total chaos states 11.5". Is 12" the magic spot with 4x4's so there is no binding?

Im running some SAW 2.0's in the back currently. Which are in need of a rebuild but was wondering if it would be better to match those up with some SAW's up front.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Well, I will never turn the yota into a bomber. I just want something with a good amount of travel that will soak up bumps like butter. My location limits the speeds u can really hit because there isn't vast open areas to play in.

I was informed by allpro that im probably getting about 9.5 inches of usable travel with extended ICONS and light racing uca's. So, another 2.5" gain with the LT/MT allpro setup. Not to shabby.

I was told that I would also need to add limit straps if I go with ICONS or SAWS. There WE's and Fox suspensions have the internal stop which elminates the need for limit straps.

So, does the Total chaos system provide limit straps because the shocks and LCA's will actually let u droop past the 12" mark which would cause CV breakage? Curious as to why allpro provides 12" of travel and Camburg/Total chaos states 11.5". Is 12" the magic spot with 4x4's so there is no binding?

Im running some SAW 2.0's in the back currently. Which are in need of a rebuild but was wondering if it would be better to match those up with some SAW's up front.
If your not going to be bombing it then maybe the All Pro is your best bet.

As for limit straps Total Chaos comes with them in the kit. I have my Total Chaos strapped at around 12" to avoid uniball bind. Im sure that if Total Chaos or DMZ etc set mine up they could probably get all 13" out of it but thats all I felt it could safely get.

Im pretty sure that all shocks being used that hard should have limit straps for extra insurance even with an internal stop. If I were you I would run them anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts

The 11.5 inch travel number is for the Total Chaos Mid travel kit. Their long travel gets 13 inches. You should never rely on the internal limiter in the coilover for your only source of limiting travel that can have disasterous effects in the form of a coilover pulling apart. I don't even have long travel yet, but I want to protect my expensive 2.5 Fox remote resi coilovers so I strapped my front suspension. If I was in your place I would invest in the Total Chaos mid travel kit. It's construction is better and their customer service is great. It's better to be over built than under built, thats how I look at it.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts