TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading up to Tahoe next week with the family and was thinking about doing some light wheeling with our kids in the Red Lake Peak area east of Carson Pass (Crater Lake, Scotts Lake), but I'm a little worried about too much water and snow. The lakes are in the 8000' to 8500' range. Did this area a few years ago in my 1986 IFS truck and it was just easy fire roads, but it was August then and a much drier year. I'm just looking to have fun this time, not looking to have an adventure.

Has anyone wheeled or hiked this area in the last few weeks, or similar areas on the eastern slope of the Sierra? Any sense on current trail conditions? If we go it will be in my 2002 Tacoma Double Cab, which has some mild suspension mods but isn't set up for serious wheeling (4x4, ICON coil overs, +3" Deavers, Bilstein 5100s, rear E Locker, but only 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, and no winch, sliders, or body armor).

Thanks for any info,

Jeff

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the headsup, that's a great site! Wow, I had no idea there were snow sensors in remote NFS locations that could be monitored via the web. Very cool :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
We were in Mammoth over the Fourth and did some hiking near the top of Tioga Pass - at the time, the snow level was around 8500-9000. Saddlebag Lake is a little over 10k, and it was still frozen.

It's been warm up there, so I'd guess at 8000-8500', you'll be safe.

Here's Tioga Lake at 9600':

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were in Mammoth over the Fourth and did some hiking near the top of Tioga Pass - at the time, the snow level was around 8500-9000. Saddlebag Lake is a little over 10k, and it was still frozen.

It's been warm up there, so I'd guess at 8000-8500', you'll be safe.

Here's Tioga Lake at 9600':
That's gorgeous.

>It's been warm up there, so I'd guess at 8000-8500', you'll be safe.

Well, I may be safe from having to cross rotten snow fields, but I'm a little worried about running water on these trails, especially on the road leading up to the Crater Lake cirque, which has a steep, east facing headwall that becomes Red Lake Peak. Probably still go and check it out -- if things get too wet for my tastes we can always park and hike. None of these trails are epic, just some fun little side tours from Hwy 88.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts