TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General question. In the past on carbureted cars I disconnected the battery when the car was running. If it died, I thought the alternator was bad

Now with computer controlled truck my manual advises NOT to do that. Anyone still do it on their computer controlled vehicles?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,731 Posts
I've done it without issue. There is a risk, but unless your charging system is totally wacked, it shouldn't cause any damage.

You can do a simple charging test just by checking system voltages. You should see around 13.6-14.4 VDC if the alternator and charging system is working good. Load testing is different and you'll need a load tester or remove the alternator to be bench tested.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My battery charger has an alternator test feature requiring the engine to be running. I'm guessing that is a load tester(?)

Was just curious about my 2012 Taco. I was working on my friend's tractor and it got me thinking.

Tractor doesn't matter its diesel and no computer.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,731 Posts
Your battery charger just has a function to check the output voltage. Load testing an alternator to make sure it can put out 60A-80A-120A or whatever its rated for is is a big heatsink type device that tells you how much load it can pull from the alternator.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If that is the case, I must be incorrect about my Dewalt charger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts