TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
…what can anyone tell me about this set up?

a SM420 transmission, a 1989 Goodwrench 4.3 V6

I am in negotions with an individual on a project vehicle and he sweetened the deal with the above motor and transmission combo. I am not big on Gm motors and definitely don't have that much knowledge on transmissions at all.

Is this a deal, or something I am just going to have to replace down the road.

BTW. the project is a trail rig/crawler truggy.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I know the 4.3L V6 Vortec engines that were in the old Chevy S-10's put out 190HP from the factory, and were somewhat reliable. We used to be a Chevy family until we kept having nagging problems here and there with the S-10's my dad and I owned. I had the 2.2L 4 banger w/manual tranny, and he had the 4.3L V6 w/auto. Needless to say, my truck had less problems. We had those trucks for about 3 years with no problems to either the engine or tranny. The 4.3L is a pretty gutsy engine with a lot of torque at the rear wheels. I believe it was somewhere around 260 ft pounds. If you're wondering about reliability, being as that we're Toyota guys here, it's not what we're used to, to say the least. How many miles are on this engine?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the engine is a 1989, miles are unknown to me. I'll find out later in the "process"

I have a ford 302 I could use instead, but if the motor and tranny is thrown into the deal I don't have to worry about using my ford stuff (read as using it for another project or two)

on the Sm420, I was told that a stronger tranny would be the sm 465, both being older transmissions (4 speed plus granny)

what I am trying to do is decide if this is a good deal with this drivetrain or if I am better off taking the equipment and trading it for something I would be better with down the road.

The project vehicle in question is a roller in current state so this is the time to make these types of decisions.

so you think the 4.3 has good low end tork? that is what I am after with this project, speed is not even a consideration as this will never see pavement!

·
Registered
854 Posts
so you think the 4.3 has good low end tork? that is what I am after with this project, speed is not even a consideration as this will never see pavement!
It's a very torquey engine! I'm comparing that engine to the newer numbers on the 05+ V6 4.0L Tacomas. The 05+ V6 4.0L engines put out 236 HP with 266 ft. pounds of torque. The 4.3L V6 put out 190 HP at 260 ft. pounds of torque. The Tacoma engine puts out 46 more HP, but only 6 more ft. pounds of torque. Apparently GM was after torque when they built that engine. As far as torque is concerned, I'd say it's a good bit better than the 3.4L V6, and almost as much as the 4.0L V6 in the 05+ Tacomas. I believe the 3.4L's had 220 ft pounds if I'm not mistaken. I know I could make the rear of my dad's S-10 hop at stop lights taking off from a stop to mashing the skinny! That was when I was 18 though. I don't do that kind of stuff anymore. LOL!

This truggy you're building, is it lighter than a reg cab 4 cyl Tacoma? I'm assuming it will be much lighter?

Have you had a chance to inspect the engine and tranny combo for yourself? I'd say it would be a good deal for what you're going to use it for. How "limited" will it's use be? Do you know if the engine has been rebuildt, or all original? This is kinda a tough call depending on how good this deal is since you have a Ford 302 sitting there as well that you could use!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I would not even look at it since you are planning 40's........well hold on.......first off being an 89 it is only 160 hp I believe......and while the 4.3 does have decent tourque it blows goat balls on the top end........I use to have one and my 3.4 is heads and shoulders more powerfull even though the paper numbers don't suggest it.......so I guess if you want something where all the power is on the bottom end and you plan on doing every thing in low it might be OK......if you want something that will run hard from the start and carry it through the upper RPM's stay away.

As for the trans.......yes the 465 would be a better option.....not because it is significantly stronger but because it is newer (they sold them clear through the late 80's) and alot more common which makes it easier to work with.........just keep in mind with either that they have a hella long throw and shifting fast is not an option......for strait low range crawling they are great do to the 6.something to one first gear but for anything else they suck.

So i guess it comes down to your final use......if you want the buggy to be capable no matter what you trying to do I would stay with the 302 and find a good auto to back it.......if all you care about is lowrange crawling then the 4.3 would be good and you can pawn the 420 off for a 465

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Todd, that helps!

We need to figure out sometime (before Summers end) arranging the pick up of the other stuff I am getting from you and Levi! yes! am still planning on that stuff as well. I guess you can say I am trying to stack my own deck!~can explain later.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i have a buddy with a zr2 that has that engine. I can admit, that it has plllllenty of power!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
there is a good article in this months peterson.i guess the 4.3 tpi was the best

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
i have a buddy with a zr2 that has that engine. I can admit, that it has plllllenty of power!

yeah...............uhhhh........no.....I have drove more than a few here at work......those things are dogs compared to a 3.4 Tacoma

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
there is a good article in this months peterson.i guess the 4.3 tpi was the best
yeah the tpi were the best but they were kind of rare......odly enough they were found in alot of astro mini vans LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts