TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright you fellow long traveler's, what kind of aluminum floor jack are you using or would you want to use? How high does it need to be able to go? Do you jack it up from you're lower arms and your axle or from the frame? How many lbs would you recommend? Where's the best deal?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Craftsman aluminum/steel floorjack. Some say thats stronger than the all aluminum floor jacks.
No problems with mine so far. When I change tires: In the front I place it under the lower arm since the base is rubber and won't slide too easily. In the rear I place it under the axle right by the leaf springs.
These jacks don't go that high, but if I jack the truck up from the frame, I have to use a wood block to help raise it. Cause with a long travel truck your jack is fully extended way before your tires leave the ground.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Got a craftsman al, my only complaint is it could go a little higher. Oh! and the price, and the one year warrenty.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've had the Craftsman for under 2 years with no problems. Use it every weekend, take it to the desert and use it, nothing to complain about. I guess I got a good one.

Q: How does everyone mount them to there trucks?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mines sittin in the bottom of my tool box. Everthing else keeps it from sliding around. It works better than I thought it would when jumping etc. it still stays in plays and everything else does to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same here, mines inside my locked deezee toolbox. pain in the ass to take out everytime I have to use it. I wanted to mount outside for easy reach, just concerned about someone stealing it.
I have the 1.5 ton alum/steel jack. So far so good. But after reading all the neg comments about it, I decided to buy a harbor freight al jack for my truck and left my craftsman at home to use in the garage.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Yup Luigi, Ive heard a lot of negative comments about craftsman jacks butsome people say theyve never had a problem.

I actually read that DezertRangers thread about floorjacks......a lot of people liked the "harbor freight" ones and the "Powerbuilt 2.5"

Ive got this piece of shit.....probably not good for working on your truck but it wil get me out if i get a flat. (30 bucks at pepboys)

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I also have the HF aluminum blue racing jack. The $100 something one, not the $84 one. That's the smaller one if you see them side-by-side. No complaints so far.

BTW, I was there today and they have new 4000# blue racing jack. Retail $189 if I remember correctly. Should be a lot cheaper at the register like all other HF products and their special coupons...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Marnes, I've been looking for this one for a while checked a couple of different pepboys but still have not found one. Which pepboys did you go to?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
VietNguyen82 said:
Marnes, I've been looking for this one for a while checked a couple of different pepboys but still have not found one. Which pepboys did you go to?
Corona.... off of main st.....they had a bunch when i was there :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We have 2 or 3 Craftsman's in our shop (1 on the Tundy), with no issues. So far they've been our best jacks. I actually don't know what type of jack I've got, I just commandeered it from the shop. It sucks though, barely lifts a corner of my truck. Here's how it's mounted (and padlocked now):

If anyone's interested in the al perch, I can get you the number for our prep guy who makes em. I think he charges like $90, or maybe less now since that was when he was first making them.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I have the craftsman one too no complaints, but I'll be switching to HF soon and stick the craftsman in my truck once its caged soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts