TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday, I took my truck in to the dealership (b/c it's still under warranty) to get it worked on. There was a fairly loud metallic rattle coming from the rear drive train.

To start with, they estimated that they would be able to have it back to me by that day, or Saturday. It took them a while to diagnose the rattle. On Tuesday they told me that they had determined that the rattle was coming from the rear driveshaft, and that they were going to replace the entire driveshaft under warranty.

Every single day since then, they have promised to have my truck back the following day. On Wednesday - they were going to have it back to me on Thursday. On Thursday - they promised it would be done by today. Today they tell me that it's still not done b/c they are still awaiting the parts, and that the best I could hope for is Monday or Tuesday. They said that even if the parts come in today, they wouldn't be able to get it finished today, and the technician that is working on my truck is off tomorrow, the service dept is closed on Sunday, and Monday is a holiday, and he's not sure of their schedule for Monday.

Today they are offering to put me in a rental car at no charge, which I may take them up on, but to me this is like a bandaid on a sucking-chest wound.

I'm in the military, and in my business - I don't plead incompetence to my subordinates. When they come to me with a problem, I don't give them back a problem - I present solutions. Am I out of line by expecting this same attitude from Toyota?

Is there anybody I should complain to? If so, can I hope for any sort of solution or compensation? Is this just S.O.P. for warranty work, and I'm at their mercy? Should I just lube up and prepare for penetration?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
stop taking your truck to the dealership for little things. they have what you want and you want it bad. they have you by the nuts and you cant do shit. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Take them up on the free loaner car. Some dealerships are better than others especially in the service end. All are not equal no matter what make they are selling.

If they actually ordered it they probably got the thing in the next day or two. My guess is they got the drive shaft and it didn't really do anything so now they have their 10 gauge parts shotgun out and are unloading both barrels on it until they manage to hit the actual problem. Even a blind hog stumbles across an acorn every now and then.
Half the dealership techs out there (I'm feeling generous today), can't seem to manage finding their asses with both hands and a flashlight.

They should have offered you the loaner after the first missed delivery. Ask them why that particular tech needs to change the driveshaft. Any fucking monkey can swap a drive shaft inside of an hour.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ditto to what The Dick said. They need to give you answers or tell you they have been stumped. Take the rental too, and smoke in it (or let your friends smoke in it), take the dog someplace and let the dog shed hair everwhere too.

Oh and stick a few french fries up in the underside of the seat.

·
Registered
532 Posts
da'Burd said:
Take the rental too, and smoke in it (or let your friends smoke in it), take the dog someplace and let the dog shed hair everwhere too.

Oh and stick a few french fries up in the underside of the seat.
ya, because that will get you another loaner next time for sure.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Parts orders can take 3-5 days depending on the supplier and if the part is a specialty part or on backorder. Imagine how long you would be waiting if you had a BMW!!!

About having to go to the dealership or being at their mercy...I'd find out who the warranty is through. If it's through Toyota, stay with the dealer, if it's through a national warranty or promise company, call them and ask them this same question and if your truck would be covered at any other place.

So, say 3-5 days for the part order, 1 day for the work to be done, 2 days for weekend, and 1 for Monday being a holiday. You can figure a total of 9 days, and that's if they can get to it the day the part comes in. One thing you have to understand is that they have 10 other cars in front of yours. I'd take them up on their free rental offer and get the lube out!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just get worked up sometimes. The last rental I got from a dealership smelled like fast food french fries, and when I took the rental back the next day they did give me a free upgrade. I was just really irritated at the whole deal.

I also have received 2 rental cars on seperate occasions that looked clean at first, but then shortly realized that they didn't get cleaned very well as I found dog hair all over the car. And just about every other rental I have ever received usually smelled like cigarettes anyways.

Jamie - don't do what I suggest, it will just piss off the next guy that gets the rental.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
If the part isn't on hand, the part isn't on hand. At my home dealership we normally schedule work around the delivery dates of parts.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I went up there and talked to the Management types, and they told me that the propeller shaft had to come from Los Angeles, and was being delivered by UPS. They said they've been tracking the shipment, and they knew it was in the area, and they were just waiting for it to walk through the door. I think they're being straight about it, and that it's just taking longer than they thought...

The one tech that they have working on my truck, they said, is the most knowlegable guy that they have on Tacomas. They said they only want him working on my truck because he knows the most about it, and they know that I know a lot too, and they want to make sure that they get it done right.

They put me in a NICE 2006 Camry with 700 miles on it to drive around. - No dog hair, or cigarette, or french fry smell included.

·
Registered
854 Posts
At least you have some reliable wheels now. Good luck with this! Oh yeah, and a friendly warm greeting from sunny NC! I bet you miss it!

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
I went up there and talked to the Management types, and they told me that the propeller shaft had to come from Los Angeles, and was being delivered by UPS. They said they've been tracking the shipment, and they knew it was in the area, and they were just waiting for it to walk through the door. I think they're being straight about it, and that it's just taking longer than they thought...

The one tech that they have working on my truck, they said, is the most knowlegable guy that they have on Tacomas. They said they only want him working on my truck because he knows the most about it, and they know that I know a lot too, and they want to make sure that they get it done right.

They put me in a NICE 2006 Camry with 700 miles on it to drive around. - No dog hair, or cigarette, or french fry smell included.
Sounds like it's on the up and up.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i work in a dealership myself as a tech. parts do take time sometimes. i will admit that when weird things do come in they do take awhile to diag, plus during that diag time you have other people wanting you to do simple stuff and get it out so waiting customers arent there long. i have other techs bringing me stuff to look at that is weird to see ive seen it before or have any idea as i also go ask them stuff too. techs go to school and get all kinds of certificates and degrees, but those usually dont help with weird stuff. i went thru a week long class just on noise and vibrations and how to pin point and figure out what they are, but alot of times its getts weird. some noises travel to other components and it is misleading. i worked at a independant shop for a short time and trully beleive that techs in dealerships are far better trained and have alot more data and info on hand to fix cars. most manufactors send their techs to schools and training, indepentant shops dont they just have you go take a ASE test, not really training. okay ive babbled enough just my :2cents:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I finally got my truck back from the dealership tonight. As far as I can tell, the noise I've been hearing & troubleshooting for MONTHS is gone.

Seems as though is was the driveshaft, and not the pinion bearing as I suspected. I never would have guessed that my whole driveshaft was screwed.

But at least they gave me my old driveshaft. I'm gonna look at it this week in the daylight and non-snow, and see if I can see anything wrong with it, like in the splines or anything. When they intstalled the new driveshaft they also threw on a new Center Support Bearing (which they also gave the old one back to me), so I'll see if that's still good, and put that on here for sale for you guys. That Center Support Bearing should be fine, as I just put it on there, brand new, about 4 months ago.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
When they intstalled the new driveshaft they also threw on a new Center Support Bearing (which they also gave the old one back to me), so I'll see if that's still good, and put that on here for sale for you guys.
You have PM, sir!

·
Registered
646 Posts
If it was the drive shaft giving you that problem I would have told them to replace the pinion bearings too. Those bearings were taking alot of beating if the shaft was that bad. Plus it might not be under warrenty if they end up going bad in the future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts