TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a quote for a 3" coil over lift installed at a local shop .... the guy quoted me 14 hours to install :eek:
Im a busy guy and would pay a shop to install my stuff for me because I work 12 hours a day 6 days a week... but come on 14 hours at 80 bucks an hour. :mad:
He said it probably wont take that long but they have to quote it that long just in case.
Any of you guys who installed your 3" coilover, how long did it take you or the shop to do it.

thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no shit baja jay Im fellin dirty for even talkin to these guys. I would do it myself except I dont have the spring compressor or the time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thats lame...im getting my coilovers plus installation for a lil more then that. It helps to be dating the owners daughter though...:p

·
Registered
204 Posts
ask your local tire shop how much they charge to instal new shocks.........use that as a reference

·
Registered
717 Posts
i installed my buddies coilovers and leaf springs on his truck in about 5-6 hours total. its best if you know someone who can help you out, but 14 hours to install a coilover lift seems a little much.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Big time rip off. I have done atleast a dozen coil over lifts on Toyotas and even my first one only took 5 or 6hrs. With my new spring compressor I can do it in atleast half that.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Grab the vaseline and bend over. This guy is high on the glass pipe. The front CO install is a 3-4 hour driveway job, 2 hour shop job, plus the alignment. The rear springs are a 2-3 hour job also.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Got a quote for a 3" coil over lift installed at a local shop .... the guy quoted me 14 hours to install :eek:
Im a busy guy and would pay a shop to install my stuff for me because I work 12 hours a day 6 days a week... but come on 14 hours at 80 bucks an hour. :mad:
He said it probably wont take that long but they have to quote it that long just in case.
Any of you guys who installed your 3" coilover, how long did it take you or the shop to do it.

thanks
WTF? Totally getting ripped off there.

Hell, I think it took a total of 14 hours to do my complete 4x4 conversion!

As previously posted, it should take no more than 3-4 hours (and thats if they decided to take their sweet time).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
phoned them today to inquire about this ..... turns out the guy is new and was quoting the 6 inch lift. Even after I repeatedly said " whoa shit :eek: that long for a 3 inch coilover lift? ". but hell even for a 6 inch lift that is alot of time.
The guy on the phone says they quote about 5 hours but it never takes that long ( coils, shocks and rear leafs ) considering what you guys told me that sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
phoned them today to inquire about this ..... turns out the guy is new and was quoting the 6 inch lift. Even after I repeatedly said " whoa shit :eek: that long for a 3 inch coilover lift? ". but hell even for a 6 inch lift that is alot of time.
The guy on the phone says they quote about 5 hours but it never takes that long ( coils, shocks and rear leafs ) considering what you guys told me that sounds about right.
One person should be able to do it by themselves in 5 hours, front and rear with mediocre tools and little to no experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
it took me a total of 1.5 hours for the rear springs and 2 hours for the front coil overs. tell that guy that quoted you 14 hours to go shove a dildo up his own ass instead of yours.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The shop isn't necessarily in the wrong. You need to go to another shop though.

A lot of automotive shops quote and charge off a computer system. If the computer tells them it's going to take x long, that's what they charge, even if it takes less time.

I actually went to have gears installed at a local shop and they quoted me like $1100 for the install in front/rear... just for labor, I had all the parts. I asked them why so high and they explained it to me, and they actually recommended I go to a more specialized shop because it would be much cheaper.

Long of the short is shops that charge like that are stupid. In effect it forces them to either rip people off, or alienate themselves from business because people will refuse to pay that much.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Unless every single bolt is rusted to shit and seized.....

It should take one guy in a home garage with no previous suspension experience and no air tools about 6-8 hours assuming everything comes apart/ no snapped bolt heads, etc....

Give it a shot. It's really not complicated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
to do the coil over swap dont I need a spring compressor thingymahooey?

·
Registered
572 Posts
if you are installing an aftermarket set of coilovers (Donahoes, Sway-A-Way) it only takes a couple hours. I did my '05 at a relaxed pace in 4 hours, (Demello/Donahoe Stage 1 kit) and that includes adding the Deaver AAL's to the rear.

If your adding coil spacers it takes a little longer, add 2 hours tops...

And yes you do need coil compressors if you're adding spacers.

·
Registered
219 Posts

thanks
i may have been ripped off, but i paid 365 which included alignment through camburg last wednesday

·
Registered
870 Posts
to do the coil over swap dont I need a spring compressor thingymahooey?
not if your bought a whole new coilover and are just switching them out. if you bought a coil that is used with your existing shock to add some lift by increasing the spring rate and preload than yes you would need a spring compressor, ive done a coilover swap in about an 1.5 hours, and the rear takes about an hour also, the only time consuming part about the rear is the u-bolts, it seems like the threads go forever. find some ttora guys in your area and have them help u out on a sunday, get up at about 8 and u should be done by lunch time. most of them will work for beer too....

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Dude round up some local guys and do it your self. Took me like 4-5 hours because we did the control arms too. Just the coilover is a 2 hour job no biggie.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts